New: Noctigon Meteor M43 ; in production New color added: Tan

I wouldn’t even be getting one right now if it wasn’t for the crappy TN36 I just got from Amazon a few days ago. It was supposed to be cw but ended up being nw, there are several big pieces of lint under the lens, and there’s a couple of chips in the anodizing. The M43 was on my “wanted” list so I figured I’d return the TN36 and get it.

I've just taken a look at it, his measurements kind of match pflexpro's testing where the XP-L dedomed outputs more than the XP-L Hi V2.

Max output of 7450lumen for the XP-L HI V2, while with the XP-L dedomed he got max 7960lumen.

I’d happily take a 500 lumen cut for 5700k of creamy whiteness

Yeah indeed, I think we will get the 5700K V3s.

I’m a bit disappointed by Vinh’s latest numbers. Anyone venture to guess why the HI outputs less the the dedome? Is it because the HI is a lower bin? But then why are the HI’s bins lower? It seems the only difference between the domed LED’s and the HI LEDs is the shape of the covering over the LED - flat vs. hemi-spherical.

Also, the 5700K rating is the same as the XP-G2 cool white currently offered on the M43. Is this a bit too cool for any of you?

His XP-L HI V2 is actually a high bin, the second best you can get now. "U" bins are lower than "V" bins.

As I was mentioning in my other post.

90% of other cool tints/ratings are cooler than that, so it is not too cool at all. Anyway there are always neutral white tints (I mean in general)

Most likely, yes. I put a HI U5 into a light which previously had a de-domed V4, and the output went down slightly. However, the tint massively improved.

This was a direct-drive light though, so it’s not directly comparable to a Meteor.

He used XP-L HI V2 as I was posting initially in my #955 post, which is not a low bin, it is the second highest bin you can get right now.
They go like this for XP-L HI, from highest to lowest: V3 V2 U6 U5 U4 U3 U2 T6 T5 T4 T3
So the XP-L HI is a bit different from XP-L HD as what top bin means.

thanks guys for your input and links. I notice the HI has almost as much throw as the dedome, but the tint is the main advantage with the HI.

I wish the HI was offered in the same ‘V’ numbers as the domed XPL. It seems the HI is about 2-3 levels lower - the HI is about to become available in V3 while the domed XPL is already available in V6 or so. Why aren’t they both offered in V6? I wouldn’t think the dome shape should be the factor in this.

Most likely the phosphor mix needed to get good tint is less efficient, much like the high CRI LEDs are also always a few bins behind.

ok, thank you.

I just checked Mountain Electronics and they have XPL-Dome-on 5000K tint is V6 while the XPL-HI 5000K tint is U5 or so. Maybe its just what they have in-stock but this does not reflect lower output bin for a given tint like 5000K?

Note: In other words, take a 5000K XPL. For Dome on, its V6, for HI its U5:

U5 is 6 bins lower than V6. U3-U4-U5-U6-V2-V3-V4-V5-V6.

The U5 bin still works pretty well, despite being a low bin.

On direct-drive triples, I’ve gotten the following results (at start, not at 30 seconds):

• Nichia 219B: 1800 lm
  • XP-G2 S3 3C: 2250 lm
  • XP-L HI U5 5000K: 3025 lm
  • XP-L V6 2C de-domed: 3200 lm

The numbers are not very precise since they were taken at start instead of at 30 seconds. Output drops quickly at first. However, I think it clearly shows that the XP-L HI is significantly brighter than XP-G2 without sacrificing tint… and a higher-bin XP-L HI will probably be on par with a de-domed original XP-L.

It looks like the XPL-HI U5 is putting out 34% more output than the XPG2 S3 3C (3025/2250 = 1.34). Just doing a quick calculation (probably wrong on several levels but nonetheless…) if I take the factory OTF output of 7010 lumens for the XPG2 S3-3D version of the M43:

7010 x 1.34 = 9425 lumens estimate for the XPL-HI U5. I used the factory 7010 lumens number to try and adjust for the M43 factory power settings which are probably lower then yours (per triple LED).

This number above (9425) exceeds the factory XPL-Dedome OTF of 8540 lumens so I was expecting this to be so for Vinh but when I saw his actual measurement of 7450 lumens which is much lower than both numbers, I was a bit disappointed. And this was using your U5 output numbers, not the V2 bin he used which I was expecting would have even higher output than the U5.

Anyway, it is what it is, so I suppose we can be content with 7450 lumens, which is still way more than i need, lol!

well for starters… the meteor isn’t direct drive. if you calculate equivalent current (pct.cree.com), the XP-L HI U5 is doing about 5% more output over a XP-G2 S3. They have different vf’s though. eh… someone who knows more will jump in here soon and pull me out. either way… as you say… still plenty of light. I hope to get one soon.

Direct drive for XP-L will mean one current and and direct drive for XP-G2 will mean slightly different current due to vf differences, and due to the nature of direct drive being unregulated. Even if the XP-L is at the same efficiency as XP-G2 at some corresponding normal/low current like 1A, it does not matter, things get different at 5A for example, we could say that XP-G2 becomes then inefficient compared to XP-L (even if initially had the same efficiency at certain lower current)

When you have something regulated via current sense resistors, you can call them shunts, and as with any other shunts, stand alone shunts, the shunt in your digital multimeter (which is used to measure currents), etc, they must be in series with the current load and get a reading for the voltage dropped across them, based on which regulation happens.

The new XLP-HI specs from Int’l Outdoors:

Cool White - XP-L HI V3 ( +$70.00 )

CW XP-L HI V3 8350lm 44,000cd 5700K

The really interesting part is that XP-L HI lists higher throw than XP-G2…
CW S4 2B 7480lm 33,600cd 5700K
CW XP-L HI V3 8350lm 44,000cd 5700K

The +$70 bit is a bit unfortunate though.

Noooooo…I just bought the S42B, if I would have known the XP-L HI version was coming out I’d have waited.

I’ll buy yours for cheap :party:

I really wanted the XP-L HI to come out but now that I see the price :weary: