【New Product】XTAR 1.5V AA 4150mWh Battery

Excellent video, thank you!

sorry, but in that video the same mistake is made as I have seen here before …

this Xtar does not reduce the voltage from 1.5V to zero at the end, but first reduces from 1.5V to 1.1V, as a battery warning for the user of a flashlight or as support for battery warning displays in devices …

so if you set the cut off voltage in a capacity measurement to 1.1V, as was done in that video, it lacks some hundred mAh that would still be delivered at 1.1V …

in case of especially this Xtar (“4150”) I formerly estimated that to additional about 400 mAh + …

(but many other 1.5V Li-Ions with a voltage reduction before the end have much less mAh left at 1.1V …)

at 1.5V I formerly estimated the capacity of that Xtar at “nearly 1900 mAh” @ 500mA load, that is comparable with the result in the video of 1850 mAh …

so for a capacity measurement of this Xtar battery you have to set the cut off voltage deep enough to get all of the capacity out til the complete shut off …

Xtar offers 1.5V Li-Ions with and without reduction to 1.1V before the end …

I hope you have fun here, budgetlampenfan!

this Xtar does not reduce the voltage from 1.5V to zero at the end, but first reduces from 1.5V to 1.1V

There is no mistake, he DID say that even showed it on the graph.
At 1a load it pushed out 1.1A which is even less than half of rated capacity. I’m afraid to even think what would it be at 2A load, like 450mah? lol

Hey, racoon, what happened to Mila? you don’t like her no more? or she send you seize and desist letter ? lol

1 Thank
1 Thank

at 1A load with an - as I explained in this case inappropriate - cut off voltage of 1.1V he measured 1763 mAh … (can be seen on the display of the electronic load device at about 17:00 min of the video …)

at 0.5A load with a - still - inappropriate cut off voltage of 1.1V he measured 1851 mAh …

that is, because he does not understand the mechanism of this battery to deliver additional about 400 mAh at 1.1V after the 1.5V phase :

from the video :

“Because the Xtar batteries essentially output 1.5V until it’s very end, the runtime gage would no longer work und you would run into a situation where one minute the battery appears to be full and the next minute it is totally drained.” (4:08 min)

You seem to not understand that at 1.1v the cell is mostly useless, I suspect its current output at that voltage will be below any usable level. so those 400ma are not usable, even if they exist on paper.

1 Thank

It delivers 2 A without problems:

Only useless for devices that don’t work at 1.1 V anymore.

2 Thanks

I’ll provide a testimonial. I’ve had these cells in a motorized door lock since last fall and they still have not hit the 1.1V stage despite daily use. They worked fine during the super cold winter period with sub zero F temperatures. The cells are contained on the side of the lock which is inside the house, but still the whole unit was quite cold.

So they’ve performed exactly how I’d hoped they would in this application. NiMH and alkaline perform very poorly in this particular device.

2 Thanks

In my testing the internal regulator shut current flow off at just under 1.1 volts. If you look at my results with my calibrated MC3000, setting cutoff at 0,8 volts resulted in the MC3000 indicating “no Battery” at the end of the test due to this behavior.

If there is anything left in the cell at that point, you aren’t going to get it out. Setting the cutoff below about 1 volt buys you nothing.

the guy in the video and you in your first measurement set the cut off voltage to 1.1V …

in the video that resulted in 1850 mAh … you got an average of 1900 mAh …

so the cut off voltage has to be set lower than 1.1V to get the full capacity out …

when you did that, you got around 2300 mAh …

that matches with ~ 1900 mAh at 1.5V + ~ 400 mAh at 1.1V …

Technically, possibly correct. Practically, not as feasible in the working world.
IMO the functioning purpose of this kind of product IS the 1.5v and at least reasonable current output. When they drop to 1.1v that is a signal that they are out and they are no longer able to do their job at 1.5v. If the device NEEDS 1.5v it is likely no longer working. IF it can function properly at 1.1v you may as well use a good NiMh for more capacity and MUCH cheaper, plus the ‘low voltage signal’ is built into it’s chemistry.

2 Thanks

I’m still waiting to find out how the door lock will behave when the cells hit the 1.1V stage. Ideally it will still work but throw the low battery alarm.

I am interested as well. I don’t think they will work for long once they get to 1.1 Volts. The 4 I tested just shut down at right about 1 volt. Though it seemed to vary by something under 0.1 volts depending on the specific cell under test.

I also changed the discharge current between the two tests. I am pretty sure changing the termination voltage to anything under 1 volt will not make a difference. The electronics simply shut them down just a little under 1.1 volts. The MC3000 would change its display to “No Battery” before it got to 0.9 volts. Nothing more to be pulled out once that happens.
Or, if there is, you can’t get to it…

【Updated】Tests of XTAR 1.5V AA 4150mWh Li-ion battery on XTAR AA 4150mWh - Akkuvergleichstest.de. “With 500mA discharge, we test this xtar 1.5V AA battery capacity of 2518mAh and energy of 3574mWh. This impressive record beats all NiMH batteries, alkaline batteries and other 1.5V output Li-ion batteries that we have tested so far.”

There is the comparison list of some 1.5V AA Li-ion batteries from different brands:

1 Thank

That is a pretty impressive result! :joy:

Idk, i still believe the video that tested them and got 1.9ish mah at 500ma load. I do not care what is left in the cell after 1.1v drop, i can not use it, so for practical purposes it does not exist.

the guy in the video you linked simply did not understand this battery, therefore he set the cut off voltage of his so called “measurement” to 1.1V, which resulted in missing 20 % of the capacity …

1.1V are not “useless” in this sense, because devices made for Alkaline and NiMH do NOT turn off at 1.1V, of course ! … so that capacity DOES exist …

the results Xtar quoted today were measured by guys who did thousands and thousands of charge / discharge cycles with 1.5V Li-Ions and their set up looks like this

whereas the guy in the video you linked put the Xtar battery in an AA to D-size adaptor and then attached alligator clips to that … creating lots of contact resistances between battery and measuring device, which of course additionally influenced his unqualified “measurement” …

but I think, it’s hopeless to try to explain that to you again …

1 Thank