【New Product】XTAR VC8S Charger

Dear all, hope you have a good holiday! So happy to share XTAR new VC8S charger has been released online. :wink:

More details on xtar website: XTAR VC8S Charger_ShenZhen XTAR Electronics Co., LtdShenzhen XTAR Electronics Co., Ltd. - XTAR originated in 2006, is an electronic technology company integrating research and dev

Main features here:
•Real Capacity Test, Bye Bye to Overrated Batteries
•Proper Storage Voltage to Max up Battery Life
•Internal Resistance Test, Know if the Battery’s at its Best
•Smart Speedy Charge (Max. 3A), Never Keep You Waiting for Too Long
•Multiple Protection Mechanisms
•Higher Battery Recovery Rate, More Economical&Eco-Friendly
•Worldwide Insured, Authoritative Institutions Certified

5 Thanks

can you tell us more about storage mode?

Hi, charger looks great.

I have a couple of protected 21700 usb-c acebeam batteries. Acebeam states that the leight of them is 76.8millimeters. Does these fit to the VC8S charger?

I like the concept, but had lots of issues with my VC8 Plus:

• slots terminated at wildly different voltages, so from storage mode, some batteries would be 3.55V, and others 3.70V
  • when charging, the current fluctuated constantly in CC phase, and it showed on the display as well.

It will be interesting to see the reviews.

2 Thanks

I’m currently reviewing the XTAR VC8S simply by using it and recording my observations (not as advanced as HKJ’s XTAR VC8 review).

One big upgrade with the VC8S over the VC8 is that you can use all 8 slots now instead of 4 for the Store and Grade modes.

Storage mode will charge or discharge a Li-ion cell to 40% SoC (State-of-Charge). I.e. 3.6V. This can help improve the life of a Li-ion cell when in storage.

Storage mode will discharge a Li-ion cell at a rate of 300mA or discharge it to 3.60V. I found that it terminates around 3.58V to 3.61V.

Storage mode will discharge or charge a Ni-MH cell to 1.2V. I found that it terminates around 1.31V to 1.35V. I noticed that it pretty much always tries to charge the cell for about 10 minutes before discharging.

More info about storing batteries here.

The termination voltages are much better than the VC8 that I previously had.

6 Thanks

Yes, it should fit the VC8S if it’s 76.8mm long.

I tried a 76.5mm long NEXTORCH 21700 5000mAh protected USB-C Li-ion cell and it fit comfortably.

Here are some measurements that I took of the XTAR VC8S:

Measurement Unit (mm)
Charger height 39.2
Charger width 151.7
Charger length 210
Shortest cell length 29.3
Longest cell length 81.1

1 Thank

Thank you Tim! <3 Now i can order one.

1 Thank

Charging in storage mode works with the selected current btw.

The first ten minutes is the detection phase. It charges the battery with 120 mA to see if it is full or a very low discharged Li-Ion. Storage for NiMH doesn’t make sense, better store them fully charged. (The voltage is also mostly meaningless.)

Hehe, you as well?

Here are some common battery sizes:

3 Thanks

So it’s 26800 friendly, nice.

3amp?

Unfortunately it looks like 8 batteries at .25amp each

With 8 batteries it is 1A each.

Thanks

I focused on 8x.25
Odd that They say 8x1 8x.5 and 8x.25

QB26800 fits comfortably in every second slot. It’s a bit too wide for 8x 26800.

When I insert the cell tail first, the edge of the head pushes against the positive terminal. It is easy to remove.

The wrap might have some wear and tear from constantly using the charger.

7 Thanks

Here’s a video showing how easy it is to insert and remove a 26800 cell:

The XTAR VC8S doesn’t officially support 26800 because the length of the channel should be a little bit longer.

I found that my 81.1mm long QB26800 cells fit each slot without much effort.

The VC8S can do 4x 2A (2 in CH1-4, 2 in CH5-8) and 2x 3A (1 in CH1-4, 1 in CH5-8). This is more convenient that using multiple XTAR SC1 Plus chargers.

5 Thanks

Nice charger but I prefer the Dragon.

Do you have any 26800s with remnants of the tab removal process (like recent Vapcells) ? I’m guessing it adds about another 1 mm.

I don’t have any left. I used to have a green one with some tabs that came with a Convoy L8.

I think they’ll still work, but worst case it is rather straightforward to modify the VC8 to increase the max battery length, I modified my original VC8 to take 26800 cells, from the original max of 78mm.

@xtarflashlight - Thank you for releasing this charger. I spent several hours earlier this week looking for a charger with capacity testing, ability to charge/discharge to storage voltage, and ideally the ability to test and charge my 26800s. I was about to buy another charger when I saw the release announcement. This has the exact features I was looking for, and the timing could not be better.

I’ll be ordering one tomorrow.

2 Thanks

Thanks for your great supports! :heart: And we also released this VC8S in amazon US store:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQG5FMP6?ref=myi_title_dp

xtardirect online store link: https://xtardirect.com/products/new-xtar-vc8s-intelligent-and-multifunctional-battery-charger?VariantsId=10963

1 Thank