New site format

Thanks for asking! I prefer this font.

Also, I appreciate all the work you’ve done to keep this place running!

3 Thanks

Found it, thanks.

1 Thank

I just wanted to say thanks for all your work on this SB.

I’ll be back to let you know “what I think” when I’ve had 6 months or so to try it out LOL.

6 Thanks

I’m really enjoying the new format. Lots to learn but it ain’t sb’s fault that I’m a little slow in my elder years. :smiley:

3 Thanks

Now that I’ve been given the ability to edit old posts, it appears I can ONLY edit the html version. Is this correct? This may not be a big deal on short, simple text posts, but on more complicated posts, this will make editing very difficult for people who don’t speak html every day.

Hi @Terry_Oregon . Hmm, that’s a legitimate point. I didn’t think there would be extensive editing of the posts imported from the old forum. Basically, if it was originally created with the old “Advanced Post Editor” then it was using HTML, and it will still be displayed as such here. If it was originally created with the old “Simple Post Editor” then it will now be translated into a similar sort of light markup language (much more human readable, no HTML tags). And from now on all new posts are using that same easy markup language with help from the new editor buttons.

So to make extensive edits in a visual way to old HTML posts there are two decent workarounds:

1. https://pandoc.org/try (paste in the HTML, and set the from language to “html” and the to language to “gfm” . Click Convert and then paste the converted text back here.
  2. Select and copy the original post (not in edit mode) and paste it into the demo editor halfway down this page: https://www.tiny.cloud, make your changes, and then in that editor go to: View > Source code and copy the code back here.
3 Thanks

OK, thanks. At least there’s a work-around if needed. :grinning:

1 Thank

Sure thing, and my apologies that a workaround might be needed in that case.

The biggest problem I have with the new site is the facepalm smiley emoji is gone. I know there’s a facepalm in the new emojis but it’s just not the same. :man_facepalming:

For real though I wasn’t sure how I’d like it, but it’s good so far. The biggest improvement is it scales on mobile devices.

1 Thank

Agreed, the old yellow smiley facepalming really got the point across. So yeah, I’ll accept your facepalm and raise you a facepalm I guess… :man_facepalming:
:wink:
Btw the emoji set in use now is supposedly the same one that Google created for Android. The Apple set is also available, plus a few other options. These ones seemed the most neutral and generally acceptable to me, but I’m not a very heavy emoji user so I wouldn’t know.

I think that facepalm emoji was the only one I ever saw used regularly.

I remember when it appeared on the massive 2016 site upgrade, and the discussion came up as to how to interpret that one. Of course back then a lot of us still referred to emojis as “smileys” and so we probably didn’t perceive them the same as now, but it seemed as if that facepalm one could either be “Ugh I can’t believe what I just did” or alternatively “Ugh I can’t believe what you just did”. :wink:

The old facepalm was a lot more expressive. I actually regularly find myself wishing it were available for text messaging. I wonder if there is a way to bring back a single smiley :smiley:

If you have a modern computer I don’t think you will have any issues with this web site.

I tried it with windows 10, 11 and Android and it works as it should.

I think the people that are having problems should look at their settings and not bash BLF for making much necessary upgrade.

I had no problem with Linux Mint as well.

1 Thank

The OS should really not make any difference, unless it stops you from using a modern and up-2-date browser like e.g. Brave or Firefox.

I use Linux Mint with Firefox exclusively–no problem with this site.

m(

Facepalm test

Edit: It doesn’t get translated. I think hats a good thing

m(
is better than

I miss the smiling devil emoji… the new one is frowning. Not the same meaning to me.
Smiling a bit of devils advocate or maybe light sarcasm. New one… not sure what it makes me think… so also others.
I know, I know, maybe I am the ONLY one to use it. But still. As long as we were on the emoji subject…
:imp:

:smiling_imp: :japanese_ogre: