new: Solarforce Z1 and Z2

They say: 1.5V-4V, not 16340? ?
A bit empty, maybe 4.1V does that should not be problem

“It can only use CR123A battery once off only”

Sry, but I don´t get it : /
If it takes 16340s I may order one.

It is likely direct drive above 4 volts

Well if it can’t use rechargable cells, who the heck would buy it? That’s a deal breaker for sure.

So thats a no for 16340s?

Looks like a nice light. But Im with gords and most of the flashlightindustry on this one. Forward clicky (on a flashlight with several modes) :Sp

Forward clicky works best with a no-memory driver, select your mode with half-presses, then switch on. Forward clicky WITH memory can be annoying. Same for no-memory with reverse clicky. They really need to be used together to see that there's another way to do it that you might like better.

Absolutely agree!

(But even in that case, I prefer reverse clicky since I prefer to easily do mode changes after I have turned the light on)

I prefer reverse clickies. I think smaller lights are best to go L-M-H. I wonder if they made the switch and driver a common size for modability

1.5-4V implies LiFePO4 cells are a go. That’s cool with me.

Has SF been using PWM for their (non-P60 dropin) drivers?

Do you mean 'no PWM' as in true analog or 'no PWM' as in well-implemented PWM at a high enough frequency that it's not apparent to the human eye?

Right—actual current control would be preferable IMO, although the latter has its advantages and shouldn’t be a deal breaker especially considering the price point.

If SF’s engineers designed decent drivers for the Z-series, then $16.99 is a fantastic deal (prime example of budget mated with efficiency: Lumintop Worm/Tool—it starts at just $20 yet features the most efficient 1xAAA driver).

I hope emitter swaps won’t to be too much of a pain as I’m definitely planning to pick two or three of these up as gifts…plus one or two for me :smiley:

Not me. Forward clicky is the way as momentary is so handy. I like that it starts on high too. Saves having to mess about selecting high when you turn it on.

I think so, but HKJ tested some RCR123A rechargeable batteries in the past for example this:

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Unknown%20RCR123A%203.0V%20500mAh%20(Blue)%20UK.html

This would be a rechargeable possibility, but you need a charger, which stops on 3,6V. I have only one charger with this ability, the Trustfire TR005, but it charges with 1,5A. I will pass this flashlight and wait, if Solarforce will built one, which could handle 16340.

Thanks Buwuve : )

I would have ordered this one but without the ability to use my 16340s, I won´t.

As I said earlier, the world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

I have to admit, the last and only light I’ve had that only does 200 or so lumens is my 3d incan mag, all my current edcs are doing considerably more, and in my use, I don’t want the maximum I have available, I either want lowest or on qlites I want low or medium.

I also need them to tailstand, most of my use is in electrical panels or the bowels of some machinery, being able to click on and tail stand to illuminate the panel hands free is extremely usefull, as is clicking it on and then being easily able to switch modes to get the light, just so.

Momentary on is as much use to me as a chocolate fire gaurd and no mode memory just doesn’t work for me, I’d spend half my time blinking purple spots out of my vision because the galvanised panel/underside of the vehicle I’m working on reflected all that light and dazzled me.

Everyones needs/uses are different, if this light suits you I’m truly happy for you, it just doesn’t suit me at all, and if it really wont run 16340 cells then it just became less than usefull, it became pointless to me, I’m not about to start spending a fortune on cr123 cells to run a light that’ll never be anything other than annoying for me to use.

As I say, I have another option that will cost about the same and actually do what I want it to do and work in a manner I’m accustomed too. I do know what level a mode memory light will be in - low, because that is what is usefull to me, I just like to have the option of going higher with a half press if I need too.

And to cover the other comment above, by all means weigh in on me, I’d be offended if you didn’t because thats what friends do, call you rotten to your face then laugh about it afterwards :beer:

Where can I get some LiFePO4 16340’s from?

The best I have used are the Tenergy rcr123a. Be careful though, the Li-Ion look very similar. The lifepo4 are green and the Li-Ion are blue. But the Li-Ion are 3v rechargeables I think.

You can get cheep plain green wrapper lifepo4 cells from ebay, but the generic ones I have found are very inconsistent and loose their capacity rather fast. But, I also use a pair a day in my ecig, so they are under heavy usage

Are these the right ones:
http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/tenergy-2-x-rcr123a-batteries.html

Do you know any other places to buy the Lifepo4’s from? Thanks.

Those would be the li-Ion, but they say 3v so they should work. Either that is an old pic or old stock, because I dont think they used those wrappers for a while

I usually buy mine from eBay. You will need to be careful ordering them and the charger though. if you get the lifepo4 ones, you want to make sure you get the proper charger to go with it. you dont want a lifepo cell with a lithium charger or vise versa.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-4-Pack-Tenergy-LFP-RCR123A-RECHARGEABLE-Batteries-Jerry-408-834-8427-/251257323832?pt=US_Power_Tools_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item3a801a8138

I am from the US so it is showing shipping at $43.15, so I hope it is less to you LOL