New Thrower website

Hmmm....I wonder if someone would want to buy my left nut for $300???? so I could buy one of those wicked throwers.

The thing is, a $100 Smallsun only throws 40% further than a $14 Smallsun and it’s still a Smallsun :slight_smile:

The Fandyfire still has a crenelated bezel and strobe modes that aren’t hidden (I don’t think).

I like the new website. It’s much more straightforward than the OMG site and I hope he does well and the subject matter of “throw” is interesting to me also.

That doesn’t stop me from pointing out the obvious however! :slight_smile:

Love the ThruNite.

Also think the specs list should include emitter type. Maybe I'm not up on the lingo or probably people shopping for one of these monsters already know what it has. We know the SmallSun has an XP-E - what are the other two? XM-L? XP-G? XR-E? I'm guessing they do have emitters.

Or, is it one of those things were everybody gets it but Foy? That's it, isn't it - nobody else cares.

(sigh) Gotta be brave to grow old.

lookunderthehoodFoy

I also noticed that not a lot of specs were given for some of the lights and especially of the changes that were made to the stock lights.

There are only so many ways to double the lux and we aren’t told what was done. Was it by drastically increasing the current or was a XM-L replaced with a XR-E/XR-C or whatever?

We can see that the head diameter wasn’t increased so it’s just about lens vs reflector or increased current.

i wish the seller would show us some beam shots for comparisons. i would love to buy that tn 31 …maybe even the stl v6

Mmmmmmmmmmmm……

I have ordered the Modded TN31 :slight_smile:

This guy’s work is amazing. He has achieved just under 90K cd from a P60 sized host with ahorton lens. (DEFT-edc Enthusiast). LOTS of people have modded a P60 host, also using the ahorton, but not achieved anywhere near this much lux.

The guy takes things to a whole new level.

be sure to post beamshots plz

and a pic of the led….

Assuming Selfbuilt’s number is correct (and it is consistent with my TN31 numbers) that would increase throw from 670M to 980M (.25 lux).

nice! do you have any throwers to compare it with

He says the modified STL-V6 retains the XML led.

+1

I can't wait to see how the light recycling is implemented in these.

How does one retain the xml and reflector ans achieve such high lux readings.

Im thinking mega heatsink + overdrive

This is an indication of weiven’s reclycling collar, technology, which put a reversed spherical reflector with a big center hole on top of led. It increase the led surface brightness reduce the angle of lights coming out. I believe It’s meant for aspherical lens use.

So, it’s possible the mod is converting reflector to aspheric lens with a weiven style collar over the led?.
Would love to see some photos from those that took the leap.

Here’s what he says at CPF.

How about a cropped thermal image of one of the lights. Just north of 100Kcd. The light on the right has been modded by me and has significantly better thermal characteristics as you can readily see. The one on the left is stock but is running almost exactly the same current so the cooler surface temps mean the heat is trapped inside the light reducing both output and lifetimes.

It’s odd that the image has no thermo gradient. I remember seeing a bunch thermo modeling by Modmag on CPF,
shows temp. differences from the led to heat sink to the head. the gradient is maintained as the shell shed heat to the air & is always cooler than where the led is.

As ma_sha1 pointed out.
This appears to be what he might be using.
http://www.wavien.com/

Well, the answer was given yesterday on CPF.

saabluster:

Oh my. I said it was an XM-L guys. Sorry I didn’t put that in the description on the site. I just added it. The Performance comes from a better thermal path that keeps junction temps down and therefore keeps the lumen output from sagging as much. Also the LEDs are dedomed which increases intensity and makes the color output more neutral white.

I’ve been doing research into the thermal side of things even more than I had before which is why I went and purchased a thermal camera. Flir in this case. It is interesting to me as some of the things are to a degree non-intuitive. For instance when deciding which thermal paste to use you do not simply go for the one with the best conductivity numbers. You have to factor into that surface finish and clamping strength among other things. So it really takes a fair amount of testing to find the best setup. I also developed my own thermally conductive epoxy(not the epoxy itself but the fillers to pot the electronics. It is really fun to test and hone this stuff. Fun to me anyway. This is also most certainly a non-intuitive science. I’m riding on the backs of giants in this realm for the most part as there is publicly available research posted you just have to dig and dig and dig. Then test and test and test. mmmm.

The TN31 is tempting …… Push the button…. Oh man, divorce, child support, alimony, what the hell push the button ………