New to BLF, veteran on CPF, long rant.

Welcome! The only thing cpf got going on is vinhs subforum

I use this forum much more as the people here are much nicer and friendlier and the mods over at CPF are Nazi’s.
The only part of CPF I ever visit is Vinh’s subforum.

Wow, I replied without reading other people’s replies and this is above my post LOL…

Wow, lots of replies. Can’t reply to all. But BLF sure isn’t dead and got traffic then.
:slight_smile:

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Cheers!

Hi Lazarus,

I started my flashaholism on CPF and I still visit regularly for the homebuild & mod forum. CPF has its place in my webworld, BLF plays a larger part. So welcome, enjoy the ‘economy’ flashaholics here and ‘light’emup!’

Hey Lazarus, I’ve had the same experiences over on other forums. I thought it was normal and got banned off quite a few myself. But I’m not going to place blame on the forums, there was a reasons that included too much information about bears and general asshat stuff. For me this forum is a gem on the net. The net isn’t what it used to be. Every Chester is logged in

Also the long time members here :slight_smile: If your a kamakazi into learning new things about flashlights, the information is here. There’s other sites that remind me of this, but they have to do with drinking.

Wow, that’s not bad at all. The last time I was bouncing around light forums CPF was clearly bigger and more active. But when I look now it seems CPF have gotten less active, and BLF more active and becoming a real option(while back then there were no real other options besides CPF).

Haha, tackar. Hata mig inte nu :wink: , men jag är egentligen svensk som bor i Norge.

Wow, you been around a long time then. :slight_smile: You must have been around when Ark started up? Got sued by Maglite etc? Which kinda fits in my analogy with Surefire becoming Maglite. Surefire sued a bunch of manufacturers, and some of them were CPF regs who started their own company.

Haha, yes, I agree. It’s crazy that there is so much underlying drama, hate and bitterness when it comes to an online hobby, especially something as harmless as flashlights. But I guess that comes with the territory when too much money gets involved and it’s suddenly not a hobby anymore but serious business for some people.
CPF Underground is the subforum they set up for handling more heated discussions they don’t want to take place on CPF proper(to maintain their “family friendly” image.

Who was the original owner and how come Greta took over?

I can agree on that everything changes(“Everything dies, baby, that’s a fact” not sure why that line always been stuck in my head).
But I don’t think BLF have the same problems as CPF yet(although I haven’t a fraction of the experience of what goes on BLF as you do, so I’m not the most qualified).

CPF problems with the heavy handed moderation and favourizing certain brands, seems to me stem more from that the site runners are trying to make a business out of it and earn money. Nothing wrong with earning money, but the owner of CPF have become too greedy(started with creating CPF Marketplace), and CPF stopped being a place for hobbyist to exchange ideas and share honest opinions about flashlight models, and it’s instead a place to flog your wears and reach potential customers. Honesty is not appreciated.

Just look at these threads about PK’s latest light.

The opinions about the design might be subjective(personally I do not find it very aestethically pleasing) but objectively it’s basically a 6P clone with an XML and a 2 mode UI you can find on any cheap light(and this one is down right impractical with a 20 second reset timer) for 190 USD. And it’s not like other overpriced lights made in USA but China. I repeat, 190 USD. And people are praising it comparing it to art or expensive watches. And we are talking about a mass produced light made in China.

If this light didn’t have PKs name on it, people would have laughed at it. But now people are gushing over it instead. But PK is a friend of Greta. Who even butts in REVIEW threads defending the light.
Add that PKs US distributor is Blackmoon Ltd. Which is surprise surprise, owned by Greta’s husband.

I am still active on cpf from way before the server changed. Different topics, same topics, whatever. This is still a great forum.

So far as “bet your life on” is concerned, there is a big difference between combat, law enforcement, adventurer, and consumer needs. Leaving a flashlight laying around in a kitchen drawer or glove box is not the same as walking the dog, scuba diving at night or clearing a building.

You buy what you can afford and that’s about it. Forums have trolls and troublemakers. They also have bright and interesting people that just move on to greener pastures when the need arises.

Welcome to the new pasture. :wink:

I am laughing at it now. It couldn’t be funnier if it had Groucho Marx printed on the side. “I never forget a face, but in your case I’m prepared to make an exception.”

Even as a new member asking questions and challenging technical arguments to well known established moders here, I never got flamed or talked down to.

BLF ROCKS!

The original CPF owner was DavidW

As to how Greta came aboard

People being hostile to each other over something ridiculous like flashlights (not that there’s any good reason) wasn’t the worst part. That hostility seems to be actually cultivated by the owner as long as it’s favorable to the advertisers. Every site with ads is a commercial enterprise. There’s nothing wrong with making money on the Interwebs—we all gotta eat. What went “wrong” with that site in my opinion was putting the money way above the community.

And doesn’t Vinh’s section of the board have the same issues? Seems like the only difference is that he has lots of talent and does great work. His part of that world doesn’t seem any friendlier or less over-moderated. I’ve seen shenanigans with my own eyes. I’m not questioning his talents, just his ethics :wink:

agreed

I’m a member on CPF too but to be honest I prefer BLF much more than I did for CPF. Why? At least the admin much more responsive and friendly than CPF…

I didn’t even get past the 3 initial posts! :d

haha I took three months to past. But now I even forgot my password on CPF

Not too sure you have your facts straight, I often all post all sorts links on CPF without repercussions.

What policy are you referring to?

I actually miss having some sort of moderation here, there’s a small group of rat bags here who spoil the whole feel of BLF. I’ve had threads totally trashed by the rat bag element as they see it as a sport, when you question them their answer is usually because this is BLF and I can.