New to modding - H03 ramping UI driver choice

Well, to put it simply, I’m in love with the ramping UI on the D1S and I want it — or something similar like Narsil — on my H03. I’ve understood that this requires more than a simple reflash and that I probably need to change the driver. But how do I select which one to use?

I feel the same way. I modded mine with a FET driver with ramping. I think I used a 20mm driver and it was a bit too small; I got it to work by putting some solder at the edge to sort of increase the diameter.

It looks like the diameter is 21mm. From this post and thread is some info about it.

The head is glued but can be unstuck with proper grip, like a vice and wrench.

For the driver, a FET+1 from mtnelectronics with the D4 firmware is what you want. They don’t have 21mm drivers, so I would get a 22mm and sand the edges until it fits.

Like this one: FET + 7135 Driver - 22mm - MTN-22DDm

It’s definitely worth the trouble, good luck!

Great, thanks for the info.

Since I’m in Sweden and the customs are quite harsh when it comes to import from the US, I don’t think mtnelectronics is such a good choice. You’re really lucky to have such a great flashlight supplier. Thus, I’ve been thinking about other options like building a TA driver, or ordering something from KD and reflashing. But KD doesn’t seem to have any FET+1 drivers…

I’m not afraid of electronics work, but I’ve never done anything surface-mount. I just want to know my options, really, before I decide.

- Order pre-built TA driver from Lexel

- Build my own TA

- Import from mtnelectonics

- 8x7135 from KD? Are there any special requirements on an E-switch driver?

• Other options?

I want to engourage you to build your own driver. But buying the parts by the piece will cost more than a complete built driver. You will also have to learn to Flash the Firmware to the MCU. The flashing parts can be had for under $20 or even under $10 if you go with a made in china clip.
Guide: how to flash ATtiny13a based drivers (NANJG, QLITE, etc.) with custom firmware
That is a basic guide on the 13a MCU but for the ramping UI’s you will need the 85 based chip. It gives you an idea of what to get and how to start flashing. And that there is a little more than just assembling the drivers.

If you intend to build more than one I say do it. But it is an investment compared to just buying one already done. For some, just installing the driver is a tedious endeavor. Building a driver and just laying out the tiny parts takes time and gets frustrating but I kinda enjoy the challenges.

I have recently started building my own drivers but I am fortunate enough to be in USA and MtnE is only a couple days for shipping. His parts are reasonable and I can build 2 for the cost of one assembled driver. He also sells the MCU only with some UI options already flashed.

I believe you will still need to order the boards from USA. OshPark is where the files are shared and orders made. I forgot that part… On OshPark TA lists the parts needed and some have a shopping cart build link to an electronics supplier.

I’m definitely not afraid of flashing. I have plenty of software experience and have done a bunch of stuff with arduinos. I already have the hardware for flashing.

I also have a well stocked brick and mortar store for components pretty close by, and there’s always Ali. I’ve already scoped components for building but wasn’t sure it was worth it.

I think I will proceed with getting PCBs manufactured and start ordering components.

Nice, glad I didn’t scare you away from it. :+1:

If you find a good source for components in Europe, I am interested!

Mountain elect.has a new international store

I am selling those H03 drivers with TA Narsil Layout

with button AMC7135 TA Layout you need a 0.8mm thick board as the 2 Oz Oshpark

latest design 1S or 2S also XHP50 possible

My version of FET+1 Anduril or Zebralight like UI driver for Skillhunt H series headlamps:

With Indicator LED on board :beer: