New WildTrail (former LuckSun) BLF-D80v2 Sale is open.

Between 7A and 8A sounds nice. I would think that is pretty close to blowing the bond wires, but many are reporting that it works. I’m against doing spring bypasses stock I think. With these springs the D80 may be close to their current limit already I fear, and if you are stuck at 6A, the output is still impressive.

The driver spring bypass is mainly because the driver is a through hole design. But the tail will not be bypassed.
Thanks djozz. I will let them know that they should aim for 6A max 7A to be save.

So, what are approximate lumens at those levels?

If i read djozz test right Luminus SST-40, a N4 BA bin tested 6A should result in ~2000 lumen 7A ~2200.

Very nice.

According to koef3's testing of the SST-40 N4 flux bin the sweet spot is around 7.4A (2.388lm@3.56V).

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/49788

Anything above that value seems to be harmful for its life expectancy and bond wires.

Depends on what you call sweetspot.

For leds that show no catastrophic failure before the maximum output is reached, my sweetspot is 80% of max, because for the last 20% you usually need 50% more power. But I understand that some flashlights are designed for flashoholics that favor output over efficiency, in that case I would go to 90%.

But the XM-L2, and also the SST-40 is not that easy, the bond wires fail (at about 9A) before the maximum output of the die is reached, so close to the failure current, the efficiency is still acceptable (the current/output curve still has a decent slope). So you want to get as close as possible to the 9 amps. But no one did a duration test of 100 SST-40 leds at 8A to produce a time/failure curve, so it is entirely an estimation at what current you are still safe, over many leds, over much time.

So yes, maybe 7.4A is a better aim than 6.5A, it gets you 8% more light.

We talked a few minutes back. They will aim for 7A. And if a flashoholic wants to give it more he simply has to use thicker led wires. I think the 1mm thick tailspring would allow more current even without bypass.

At 7A you may get (I estimate) around 2000 lumen OTF. That is as real lumens as we hobbyists can measure, so probably a fair bit closer to reality and lower than what most manufacturers claim.

Yes. This is what I was trying to say. With a 7A target current, the tail spring(s) won’t be the bottleneck in the circuit. For those who wish to mod beyond that, uprading to dual BlueSwordM 3rd Gen BeCu springs will still likely be plenty for a single cell light of this size. Even with 2nd Gen dual springs, it is good for 20A+ output, and the 3rd Gen is supposed to be around 25% better!

Yeah.

I wouldn’t change anything about the config.

A single driver bypass and a single phosphor bronze spring is plenty for the SST-40 version of the light.

Had we put dual BeCu C17530 springs on the tail, I don’t think the SST-40 would survive for very long at all.

Straying off of this path now, how cool do you guys and gals think would it be if Luminus were to actually sell high CRI SST-40s?

It would be soo good.

I was modding my old D80 tonight and forgot how much of a pain it is to focus this thing. I’m wondering how well they have managed to focus both an XP-L HI and SST-40 in the same reflector. Hopefully some care was done making those two new centering rings.

Anyways, the other thing I noticed that I kind of wish we would have addressed is how deep the bezel is. I think it causes a blue ring on higher power levels outside the spill and I think I can also see the crenelations in the very edge of the spill too. Wonder if they can test a smooth bezel that only goes as high as the bottom edge of that crenelation to see if it fixes the edge of the beam.

interested!

How are these 7A measured? With wires attached to the MCPCB (to take the entire current path into account) or the "classic way" by a tailcap bypass on the battery tube? In the latter case all additional resistance that comes from the tailcap (switch, spring) would have to be "deducted", i.e. actual maximum current will be lower than 7A.

There is a pic a bit further back in the thread its taken from the LED wires.

They for sure will not make a physical correct experiment out of it. They only want to make sure the led survives. So i do not know if we get 7,2 or 6,7A. They will test with 20awg first and then 22. . .untill the current stays arround 7A. I told them to get a vtc 5 or 6 battery and test with battery max charged. And if they measure at the mcpcb they should keed the wire length as short as possible to not influence the current to much. This should get us to a close result.
This pic from the drver test is not including the light itself. It was to test the driver allone. Now they have to test the complete light. But i expect also that they measure at the ledwire. To do it they will have to use wires a bit longer than what is needed in production. So they will have to aim a bit lower to not have production lights with to much current. So far they did a good job and i think that they also can manage to get this right!

@ contactcr
It is a bit late for design changes. The parts are already made now. The gathering for design changes happend in the early stage. Now we are close to the end of production.

When and where can I obtain one ? I like the anodized

Where will this flashlight be available? What is the approximate price point?

LuckySun has a aliexpress store, it may become available there but atm it is not listed yet.

Sorry for the late reply but I was waiting for some more info.
The led delivery was delayed. The led is so popular in China and every sales agent has back orders so luminous is having problems to hold the promised dates. The led will take another ~3 weeks.
Until then the drivers are ready (all parts are finally in). And they still test the new reflector.
The last samples were not what they expected. So new ones are ordered.
When the light is ready I will post it here on the first page.
They will sell the light in their Aliexpress store (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/4498067?spm=0.8937474.0.0.22f92e0eSdgHA6).