New XML2 version of the Blackshadow Terminator

I gave up on waiting for a XML2 version of the terminator since the word from company representatives was that there would be no XML2 version. So I ordered a BlackShadow Terminator XML U2 from FT and some Noctigon XML2s with the plan to upgrade my Terminator immediately after I received it. Well, today was the day it arrived. Image my surprise when I saw this:

These look like XML2 emitters to me, not sure what tint, but it feels warmer than my Convoy S8 with XML2 U2-1A. Now I’m not sure whether I should bother to upgrade to the Noctigons, but after a while I probably will. I haven’t noticed any changes other than the upgraded emitters. My serial number is S12D30000337 and the Terminator from JohnnyMacs review has a serial number of S12D30000090. Is it really possible that there are only a 400 Terminator out there? It has got to be way more than that, no? The serial number seems to suggest otherwise. Any other Terminator owner care to chime in with their number and date of purchase?

Unfortunately my Terminator arrived with a small imperfection in the upper left reflector (visible in the picture if you look for it a little bit below the LED), and a nick in the otherwise perfect metal work. I’m still going to keep it of coarse since it is an awesome light, and shipping back to China is not worth it. Plus I never want to be another day without this light. Anybody got any experience if FT gives discounts for small problem like this? It ok even if they don’t, the XML2 emitters make up for it.

you could email them and ask - but they will prob want you to send it back

thats interesting as i was also told that they would not be made with xml2s

i really loved this light while i had it - i had to sell mine because of the pwm on low mode made me dizzy

Banggood has one for much Cheaper, I wonder?

then you can get the 8% BLF discount, also.

Mine was gifted to me back in November or so, serial number is S12D30001633 and has XM-L2 U2 1A de-domed emitters on Noctigons, and no, it didn’t come that way. :wink:

So there are definitely more than 400 out there…

Interesting DBCstm, so yours with serial 1633 came with the old XML generation 1 emitters before you upgraded to Noctigons? Then why on earth would my “older” serial 337 have XML2s? Hmm. Unless my initial assumptions is wrong and they don’t simply increase the serial numbers +1 each time one comes of the production line. It seems that way tough because JohnnyMac got one soon after it first came out and the serial was 90.

I thought I had them saved and marked, but my kit is a jumble with the mods I’ve been doing lately and I’m no longer sure of much of anything! lol

Changing the emitters is one of the easiest of all the lights I’ve worked on. The wires coming from the star have plugs on the end, plug n play right onto the board, Remove the wires from the star and plug em back in when you get the new copper star soldered up, or just swap em out on top without ever cracking the driver area open. Easy peasy.

I have a question to fellow Terminator owners about the thermal step-down feature because I’m not sure my terminator does a step down at all. After reaching 60 degrees C what happens? Does the driver switch to two-mode operation where only Low and Mid are available, do all three modes get reduced in brightness, or does Low-Mid-High become Low-Mid-Mid?
I’ll have to try again, but on my first attempt nothing at all seemed to change after reaching 60C (measured with a Bosch infrared thermometer at the flat spot on the body between the cooling rips where the warning is printed).

I ordered mine while FT was on holiday, and it says restocking on FT’s order page now…here’s to hoping that I’m getting one with XM-L2’s!

Went through IlluminationSupply for mine IIRC

Did you ever get yours from FT rollinstone157? I had an other with FT in too for a second Terminator, but they canceled after a couple weeks of waiting for stock because they could not get any. I have since ordered two additional Terminators from an AliExpress vendor and things got interesting.

Reminder: My first Terminator from FT arrived with serial 12D30000337, stainless steel bolts, green LED on right side of button, and XML2 LEDs. Since the serial is rather low I have come to believe that the this is not a production model and the XML2 have been exchanged somehow else. Maybe it was a returned item to FastTech, who knows. It also had this dent from my original post which strenghtens my suspicion that the light was worked on after it left the factory to put the XML2 LEDs in. Maybe FastTech just got it from another middleman that thought he would upgrade the light.

Next I ordered one from Banggood, but they too couldn’t get one to ship to me (despite showing them as in stock at the time of order). So I paniced a litte that the production of Terminators might have stopped - since it’s such an awesome flashlight I wanted more than one.

I hunted down a dealer on AliExpress and soon my second arrived with serial 12D30000483, black bolts, green LED on left side of button and the old XML T6 LEDs (now upgraded to XML2 U2 on Noctigon copper pads). The black bolts would indicate that it is an older model, but the serial number is higher than the first Terminator. Weird. Since FastTech and Banggood couldn’t get their hand on new stock, and since this model had black bolts, this vendor seemed to sit on some old stock of Terminators.

My third Terminator arrived from the same vendor as the second one and topped the weirdness again. It arrived with serial 12D30000001, black bolts that appear rusty, green LED on left side of button and XML T6 LEDs. Can this really be the first Terminator that rolled of the production line? Is rust the reason Blackshadow changed to stainless steel bolts? I’ll have to try to find the right replacement bolts to exchange the rusty ones.

Wow! That could be the very first Terminator body you have there. :bigsmile:

I don’t see a chronological pattern on the Terminator serial numbers based on the posts above. I got my Terminator on 09 February 2013, its Serial Number is S12D30000496 and it has black screws. The OP has stainless steel screws and XM-L2 LEDs but has 337 as last three digits.

I think Black Shadow just mass produced the Terminator bodies, printed each body with serial numbers then assembled their Terminators picking up the bodies at random i.e. without minding which body serial number should be assembled first. :slight_smile:

I contacted Black Shadow via email and they confirmed that my S12D30000001 Terminator must be the first one that was produced. :bigsmile:

Mine, bought from Illumination Supply in San Jose, Calif. is S12D30001912 and was the last of the pre T70 Terminators they had in stock. Bought in late May. 2014. Looks like it was a limited production light, probably due to the high suggested price and lack of distributors outside China.

Mine seems to have XML2 LEDs from what I can tell from the photo IDs thread.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-2013-New-Arrival-High-Power-3500-Lumens-Terminator-4-x-Cree-XM-L-U2/1551561382.html

Labeled as NAGE

Brand: Blackshadow/ NAGE
Model: Terminator
Emitter Brand/Type: Cree
Emitter BIN: XM-L U2
Color BIN: White
Total Emitters: 4
Battery Configurations: 4 x 18650 rechargeable Ii-on batteries (not included)
Voltage Input: -
Switch Type: Click / Clicky
Switch Location: Mid click
Modes: 4
Mode Memory: -
Mode Arrangement: Hi > Mid > Low > Strobe
Circuitry: -
Brightness: 3500 lumens maximum brightness (manufacturer rated)
Runtime: Hi mode: 70 mins (manufacturer rated)
Lens: Coated Glass Lens
Reflector: Aluminum Textured / SMO Reflector
Carrying Clip: -
Carrying Strap: Yes
Other Features: Waterproof

Price:
US $83.97 / piece
Shipping:
Free ShippingtoUnited States via HongKong Post Air Mail
Estimated Delivery Time: 15-26 days (ships out within 5 business days)
Quantity:
piece
Total Price:
US $83.97
Buy NowAdd to Cart

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NAGE-4-x-Cree-XM-L2-U2-LED-4-Mode-4800-Lumens-Flashlight-2-x-18650/1588328713.html

Brand: NAGE
Model: -
Emitter Brand/Type: Cree
Emitter BIN: XM-L2 U2
Color BIN: White
Total Emitters: 4
Battery Configurations: 2 x 18650 / 4 x 18650 rechargeable Ii-on batteries (not included)
Voltage Input: -
Switch Type: Click / Clicky
Switch Location: Mid click
Modes: 4
Mode Memory: -
Mode Arrangement: 1 x Cree XM-L2 U2 > 2 x Cree XM-L2 U2 > 4 x Cree XM-L2 U2 > Strobe
Circuitry: -
Brightness: 4800 lumens maximum brightness (manufacturer rated)
Runtime: -
Lens: Coated Glass Lens
Reflector: Aluminum Textured / SMO Reflector
Carrying Clip: -
Carrying Strap: -
Other Features: Waterproof
Accessories Included: A gift box