New XP-L High Intensity Emitter

Uhh whats a MMU?

something like this

Or more like this. Guppydrv for the win. :slight_smile:

The MMU referred to is the attiny13-mmu, an extra small MCU that made the single sided 10mm FET drivers possible :slight_smile: They can’t be flashed when installed on the driver but have to be flashed beforehand.

Thanks! Now this splains alot! Won’t be a PITA to me (10mm driver) AIN’T HAPPENING!

never worry about that because it is happens to me a lot!

never close any led to optic due to their high temperature issue!

many optics produced by plexi hard plastic that they are not for use in high temperature area since you use best optic for certain temperature

So, are a lot of you going to be swapping your XM-L’s out for these, especially in throwy lights? They should throw better, but I don’t think there will be much difference in lumens, right?

They seem to be making less lumens, but of course they throw better than a domed emitter. The caveat to these is how they keep the tint nice when compared to a de-domed XP-L. And that they fit under the Carclo optics for triples.

So, upgrading the triples for better tint is where these really shine for me. Small lights like Sinner’s Cypreus or Ti EDC, helps tremendously to have the white light vs the green pukey tinge. And under an optic in a 20mm tube light they work very well too, getting about 25Kcd which is about 3 times better throw than the small reflectors can do.

Makes sense. Thanks.

I dropped one in a basic C8-style light and was less impressed. It’s perfect for the triples though, and am anxious to see how they would work in an aspheric. I’m just as happy with a basic XML2 in my reflector-based lights…
But then, I prefer a cooler tint in a thrower, and the 5k HIs are just a bit to mellow for my taste.

Just got in today qty 5 of the V3 2B's from Hank. Richard got them before I did - figured that Smile. Think 3 should go in a triple, maybe the RED S2+. Was thinking of one in a 1405 pill, and not sure of the other yet, but lots of options.

I don’t know how your measuring device works but couldn’t you put the filter over the sensor, rather than the emitter, and get the intended results?

Yes and no. The filter is too big to cover just the sensor, so it would also absorb enough light to interfere with the integrating properties of its container.

I’m still debating the best path forward… perhaps a smaller filter, or a glass filter which won’t melt, or maybe building a proper integrating sphere. But it’s not a priority right now; I have to finish a few other projects first.

Cut a small wedge off the now-damaged filter, and place that over the sensor…

That’s one of the things I was considering. :slight_smile:

OTOH, this might serve as motivation to finally make a better device.

Not the best tint, but I see there’s a high binned neutral out now.

http://intl-outdoor.com/cree-xpl-high-intensity-v2-3c-bare-led-p-900.html

That V3 2B tint I got from RMM at Mountain Electronics is worth the extra for the tint. I now have a new favorite tint… It is the sweet spot (for me) between the CW/NW. Really something else.

I put one in my SE A6, beamshots below so you can see the difference between the XP-L HI V3 2B and the XP-L 1A, both are the BLF SE A6 and the same batteries for both. I really like the XP-L HI…

LOW

Level 4 (up from moon, moon being level 1)

TURBO>>>>>>>

My beamshot skills are not the best, but this is at a white wall about five feet away from the lights. The beam on the left is the XP-L HI V3 2B, the right hand beam is a 1A from my other SE A6. Same batteries and power levels for both beams in all shots. The darkest one is on low, the middle one is on level 4, and the last is on Turbo. I changed shutter speed for each exposure is all. The White Balance makes the XP-L HI more yellow than what I see, and the 1A more blue than what I see…

Yeah I’m thinking about putting the one I linked in my A6. Little more throw for outdoor use.

The best thing is the spill, with an OP reflector like the SE A6 or the PFlexPRO M1, you get a lot of useable spill… and a great hot spot… Kind of hits the sweet spot for me…

Ordered one of those V2 3C to compare to a V3 2B (which is a really nice tint!).