Newb wants to build some bright lights for off roading but has no idea where to start

Hey guys. I am new here. I used to not even be into flashlights or anything. Then I found dealextreme and I figured what the heck I will buy some flashlights there. WOW! So bright for so cheap. I have a XML light with 18650 and a couple 14500 lights. I am very impressed. I have read around since then and discovered that the flashlight world is very large and very…complex. But I like it, I eventually wanna get a Jetbeam because I like there control rings where you can go to whatever mode you want without having to cycle through everything.

Anyways…I am getting off topic. Being able to cheap XML’s from China has me wondering if it is possible to build off road lights with XMLs…they are so bright and pretty cheap.I did read a forum where a guy made some.

I am thinking I can just buy some cheap housings at princess auto and then I will have a reflector and everything…just swap out the crappy incandesant lights for some real power. I think I can even figure out what LEDs I can buy…but after that I get confused…I know LEDs need drivers…and if I hook it up to a vehicle it’ll have to be 12 volts or more…where would I get those and how would I wire it all up? What kinda current stuff should I look for? All the numbers and specs of everything confuses me?

I know I am new and probably sound disjointed in this post I just want some bright lights for me truck :slight_smile: If this goes well I may make some XML spot lights for lighting things up far away

Upon further searching I found this sight with these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-lot-Hot-Sale-New-4-27W-12V-Round-Cree-LED-Work-Light-Flood-6500K-ATV/531507831.html

2000 Lumens each? That is alot of light

This should work right?

Nah… This is a lot of light, and it’s built by a member here!

PPtk

I’ve seen bars like those, cool stuff but not what i am looking for. I am more looking for two round lights. Haha. Would the ones I linked work? I may have solved my own problem

You can buy or you can build. In either case you’ve come to the right place. Welcome to the forum and read on.

Welcome to the forum!

I am working on a lightbar for my cherokee right now (no LEDs but I’ll most likely post it up upon completion regardless!)

FYI, make sure driver(s) can withstand over 14.4V because although your truck’s battery outputs 12-ishV, while the engine is running it is closer to 14.4V with that alternator doing its thing.

Yeah I was thinking around those lines. I am not going to lie I am not a big fan of bars so I think I will stick with 2 round lights on my push bar. I guess 3 XML’s in one light would also lead to 2000 lumens per light. Two lights…4000 lumens…that should like up the dark winter nights. I guess I will keep reading. There is so much to learn!

I think the best bang for your buck for off road will come from HID look up light force HID

another site

Mount 4 240’s 50w or 100w hid and you will have to use sunglasses at night :bigsmile:

Yeah HID’s are good…but I am more of a budget guy…haha. Led’s also use less power don’t they?

what you’re looking for is more of an LED flood lamp.

there’s a ton of those you can dig through here:

LED flood lamps

I am thinking more and more about those 27W 9 Led lights (are the Led’s XML?) Does anyone have experience with them?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=261120381790&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=80264748417

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251175582082&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=36193822914

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=261122055584&index=23&nav=SEARCH&nid=28253485727

A few I’ve been watching.

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searchresults?cmd=SREF&pg=1&sellerId=24x7diy&fads=1&sort=BestMatch&kw=seller:24x7diy

Here’s the sellers main page.

Pretty cool. I am looking for very bright tho. I live on the flat prairies and there is always lotsa land to be lit up

OK so if I did choose to build my own lights would a driver like this work?

LINK

Would that be enough to power three XML’s? ( I am thinking three XML’s per light should be lots)
Or would I need one of those per each XML? I have never been good with things like current and watts and volts :slight_smile:

I ordered 3 of those 27 w led work lights (9x3w led) for my boat and ran them off a 12v battery. I tested them with a full battery charge, and the 27W pulled under 2 amps. they work pretty well, I have a 30 degree beam in 3000k and a 60 degree beam in 6000k. I really like the cooler white ones (6000k) but the beam is way too wide. the 30 degree beam is advertised as “spot” but seems a lot more than 30 degrees. 60 degrees is almost useless it is so wide, it seems more like 180 degrees. I should post a review on them, I havent seen one up here yet. I dont rembember where i ordered them from, but i think all are the same, just shop around for best price. but they are bright, I wish i ordered a few more (mabe 6 total) of the 30 degree 3000k ones, they wold be all i need and more for lighting up all the water around me and then some. 27 w is not a lot of power, my battery can handle a few more. it is hard to compare them to a flashlight, since the beam is so wide. but i would say they seem way brighter than my manafont xml drop ins. they are probably comparable to a 3t6. I prefer warmer tints for clarity, i can see throgh the water easier, less glare, hurts the eyes less, but it looks stupid on trucks. 6000k is fine for clear water in my case, and looks white.

if you want a ton of throw like flashlights dont buy these. they are a wall of light and the 30 defree has some reach, but not as much as even a p60 xml. my 3t6 throws way further. go with HID’s for throw

You can make your own HID kit for under $100 easy. I think it’s a lot simpler than messing with LEDs and drivers. I’ve made one with hella hella 700ffs. But you can use any housing. Next time I will probably use cheap ebay housings, around $20 a pair. Here’s a write up on one: Clickie

Hmm maybe HID is the way to go. I do want to see “far out there” haha, but some flood is also nice for lighting up the ditches and seeing deer. I guess that is what headlights are for tho

They should have a usable spill, just from the shear output of the HIDs. I never found myself needing more. If you really want more flood, you can just use floodier(is that a word) housings.

I have always wanted an LED bar, but for the same price I could probably make an HID kit that would require sunglasses for night driving. Not this bright though.

That is bright haha. I guess I will look into making my own HIDs…yet another whole new experiance. Can’t be too hard can it? Can you buy from China? Free shipping and no customs and duty fees :slight_smile: