Newbie - PLEASE HELP! Trying to choose a thrower less than $50

Hi, i’m new here and just recently discovered this site. I’ve also only recently learned about all of the lights available via Alliexpress, Bangood, etc. I’m now having severe analysis paralysis and am overwhelmed by the number of available flashlights as well as the different options for each light. I’m looking for a thrower (or at least think i am!) for a variety of uses, but primarily for spotlighting animals in fields, etc. Not to hunt/shoot at night (with the exception of coyotes or hogs), but just to spotlight them to/from hunting, etc. Realistically, the max range i’ll be able to see on the property i have access to is 500/600 yards. it would be nice to see beyond that, but not a necessity. The list of lights below are just some that i’ve read about on this site and seem to have some of the qualities i’m looking for. i believe that several of the lights below have a narrow beam. i’d prefer a wider beam, but clarity/maximum light at that distance is slightly more important than the wider beam. i’d like to stay as cheap as possible, which would probably be the C8, but also don’t want to regret not paying just a little more. I also don’t want to waste money on a light that might be overkill for my needs. Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Convoy L21A with Osram KW.CULPM1.TG
Convoy M21C with KW CULPM1.TG
Convoy C8+ with KW CSLNM1.TG
Sofirn Q8 4*XPL HI 5000LM
Sofirn BLF SP36
Astrolux® FT03

EDIT - The size of the light doesn’t really matter as i’ll be carrying it in a pack.
Also, i’m getting to be an old fart (52) and want a light that is pretty simple to operate. I will not be trying to mod or reprogram the light.

Have a pleasant time at this friendly forum, scoperdue!

Hi welcome to BLF!
I’m a big fan of the Astrolux FT03, there are two led options available for this flashlight. The XHP50.2 will give you a nice wide bright beam up to 735m, but the SST-40 will give you less raw power but a tighter beam up to 835m.

Basically the bigger the head and the smaller the LED the more throw you’ll get.

I have the FT03 with the XHP50.2 and it is a really good light IMO quite throwy but it also lights up a big area really well. It is very impressive on Turbo. I don’t have the SST-40 version, but this should throw a bit further, just with a slightly smaller hot spot and less bright spill.

For the price you can’t go wrong really. You can even buy them with a good 26650 battery included and they have on board USB charging. This makes them very versatile. I believe the SST-40 version is cheaper at the moment.

I use mine out to 200 yards no problem. It will light further, but I’ll be honest I think you’d struggle to see something the size of a Coyote at 500-600 yards, even in daylight with the naked eye. I can’t realistically see the FT03 making this kind of distance in the real world, no matter what the specs may say.

Remember if a light is rated to ANSI FL1 standards this means it should be the same illumination as a full moon on a clear night at its PEAK distance. This means, if you were standing at the end of the beam, you’ll be able to see something lit up. But someone being 100’s yards away is hugely unlikely unless it is a very reflective surface.

Many lights not rated by the ANSI FL1 standard will likely show bolder more unrealistic claims.

I will admit, tonight I have also ordered the Convoy with the W2 Osram emitter in. Good price on their Aliexpress store. I expect this will offer more precision over the FT03 with increased distance, but lighting up a much smaller area.

Out of your list, the FT03 or L21A would be my pick.

Any multi emitter light, especially a soda can style will offer a lot more flood and a lot less throw. Throw really is the domain of single emitter lights.

The C8 or M21’s advantage is in being more pocket friendly. If this doesn’t matter defer to the bigger FT03/L21A.

I’d also suggest something 21700 or 26650 is a better bet for high amp draws and sustaining the output. Anything 1 x 18650 is likely out matched these days. 18650 are great for pocket EDC lights though.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I can see where there’s probably never one perfect light, which means buying these can probably be an addiction! i’m definitely going to look into the Astrolux more. Any suggestions on the best place to purchase these?

It definitely is an addiction! I started off three months ago, I bought an Astrolux EC03 witch is very floody. Then I thought to myself “hmmmm I can do with a thrower” so I got myself a FT03. Long story short I now have 11(!) flashlights and I love everyone of them!

Astrolux’s main store is Banggodd.

FT03 XHP50.2
FT03 SST-40
FT03 XHP50.2 with battery
FT03 SST-40 with battery

The battery witch the flashlight comes with is a 26650 witch has a high capacity. If you want to get the maximum power from the FT03 (especially the xph50.2 version) than you should look into buying a 21700 40T battery. However you will sacrifice some capacity if you go for the 21700.

Thanks for the links. i think i’m probably headed down the same path! excuse my ignorance on the batteries, but i’m assuming the 26650 and the 21700 are the same size? or is an adapter required for one of them?

The 21700 is thinner and slightly longer, but it still fits in the FT03. The springs hold it pretty tightly so there is no need for an adapter.

Hello scoperdue,

If you want to see nice colors AND use a thrower flashlight, I think, the best choice now is currently to take this with the 4 mode driver, and 4000K CCT option (it is not stated right there in the description, but that option is 90CRI):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000056253432.html

Maybe it will struggle with illuminating targets well enough at ~500 meters (but technically it is still rated beyond 750 meters), but the beam and the targets will be pleasure to look at.

If you would like to get a steady illumination at far targets (much better throw), but with 6000K-ish CCT and 65-70CRI, then you could get this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001594138171.html

@scoperdue:

An 18650 cell is approximately 18mm in diameter and 65mm long.

A 21700 cell is approximately 21mm in diameter and 70mm long.

And, you guessed it, a 26650 cell is approximately 26mm in diameter and 65mm long.

Some 18650 cells are protected and are closer to 70mm long.

They are sometimes called 18700 cells.

I just ordered the FT03 with the XHP50.2. It was about $8-$9 cheaper than the Convoy recommended, but i’m thinking about getting one of those too. Thanks again for the recommendations.

i would recommend wowtac A4V2 over FT03, at least the XHP version, i dont have the SST40 to compare.

No love for the L2 anymore?

Works with 1 cell (compact) or 2 (hella long runtime).

Just Googled the wowtac, not familiar with it. I have a Klarus with similar specs and I’d say the FT03 monsters it to the point they aren’t comparable. Probably both good lights though. Just different.

if you’re talking about XHP, then no. for the purpose of a thrower, a4v2 > ft03 xhp, not just throwing distance, but also beam profile, xhp has a lot more spill, which can prove useful in certain use case, but its also got a lot of rings, the a4v2, like the v6, is clean and smooth, and smaller hotspot, and throws farther. the sst40 version might be better, im not sure, like i said, i dont have it to compare

just so u know emitter xhp50.2 isnt that throwy in that light, i have both versions the sst40 is better beam, but still if that doesnt bother u thet version is good to just more spread beam and not as tight.

FWIW I have FT03 SST-40 and the Catapult V6. I find them comparable for throw and both rather narrow beam. I like the tint better on the FT03. More pleasing illumination at least outdoors per my eyes.

No ringy beam on my FT03 (XHP50.2). The beam is really nice. And it throws well, very well.

I think it is all relative tbh.

I have an XP-G3 Convoy C8, which I think most would say would be ‘throwy’. But the FT03 with the XHP50.2 has much greater beam distance. The beam might not be as narrow on the FT03, but for looking at things far away, it works very well. I doubt the op will be unimpressed with it.

interesting, thats what i expected as well. but v6 is much smaller physically