Newbie - small light for self defence

Hmm, the only flashlight good for self-defense would be mounted on a .45 auto.

Don’t believe the commercials of some putz chasing out a burglar with a flashlight with strobe. In real life, he’d probably end up having to have the flashlight later removed by a proctologist.

Governments and their various toadies and lickspittles don’t like The Little People™ being able to defend themselves. As you point out, you can forget dedicated weaponry such as guns and knives. Even “tactical pens”, bricks, bottles, etc., can just as easily land you in prison for daring to defer to Authority™ and their monopoly of force.

The inmates are running the asylum.

At best, a strong light might hamper someone’s night vision and that’s about it My ‘grab’ light for checking outside at night is a modded C8 thrower and that’s all I expect from it which in my case is all I want. It might ‘buy me’ a second or two during which time weapons will be deployed appropriate for the situation :smiling_imp:

Many EU countries have strict laws regarding weapons so what I’d do is use my light as a “Yawara stick” which if used correctly is a potent weapon. Or like dw911 says- use something improvised (and use a very strong sock :wink: ). Certain kinds of aerosol sprays which are completely legal to have on your person make a good substitute for pepper spray. Moreso when ignited during or after spraying :open_mouth: An umbrella or walking cane rammed with all you’ve got into someone’s gut or kidney will stop them cold even if it doesn’t penetrate anything. A “Bic” pen will penetrate someone’s neck or throat or eye stopping them. Women have used hatpins like this for ages.

But the best way to avoid trouble is just that: avoidance :smiley: If you pay attention you can almost always see trouble coming before it arrives and if it’s in the form of an attacker they almost always detour away when they notice you’ve seen them and are preparing for their attack. Crooks prefer easy targets so don’t be or appear to be one- your best weapon is your brain :sunglasses:

Phil

^
This is extremely good advice from a legal viewpoint. Especially the sound reason to carry the “spare” batteries in a sock…

Ideal flash light for self defence is Maglite 6D. Just learn how to use that,
Mike

I’m glad this one got nipped in the bud quickly. Tactical defensive flashlights are used by people in groups and with guns, radios, pepper spray and hand cuffs. When I use my flashlight defensively it’s to disorientate drunks. Blind those using side view and rear view mirrors in a traffic stop. I use my light to light up areas where I might be talking to a suspect, making sure he get more light/less night vision then myself.

Knowing it’s limitation in an assault as a strike tool only. Solarforce L2, good should from body to head to keep hand from slipping while striking. Cheap, sturdy and has a few bezel styles. While striking place thumb over switch grip tightly and strike repeatedly the face, head and neck until he drops or runs. If you know the techniques do a good chest rake.

CRX nailed the first part “Learn spatial awareness” Treat all assaults as life or death. I’ve had more than a few who would take that pretty light and beat you to death with it, then rob you’re corpse. The few seconds you tried to blind him were the seconds he knocked you out.

I hope the part of Europe you’re in you are a citizen not a subject. EU left the pepper spray laws to it’s members. Some countries allow, some need permits, some forbid it.

If you have any specific self defense questions P.M. me I’m a 24 year L.E.O. that’s traveled. If I can’t get the answer I’ll connect you with who can.

Hmmm…
A necklace with an XHP70 cold white as a pendant, on some firm wires around your neck, 3x CR123 in series in your pocket and a momentary switch. :slight_smile:

A flashlight really isn’t that effective at self defense.
What about day time?
What if the attacker just bats it away, or doesn’t look at it, or uses it as a target to kick or shoot?
A “strike bezel” is silly, you need something that works at a distance farther than your arm.
Plus they cut your pocket.
Also, anything big enough to be effective as a club, can’t be carried in a pocket anyway.
On and on.
Just get a good small light and carry it everywhere in your pocket, get something else for ‘defense’.

Well, i think in the dark a 3000 Lumen necklace pendant could be quite effective.

I guess it could possibly be useful in a self defense situation, if it’s got the name engraved on it of the person who’s attempted to use such a thing to fend off an attacker.
Saves the authorities having to I.D the body via dental records I guess :wink:

forget about all the trollish comments above

Klarus XT2C XP-L 1100 lumens

Any strong light can work for it and you can also use body spray, in case you don’t have light with you.

Thanks all for your comments.

Of course a torch is not much when it comes to self defence. However my thinking in Europe, where you basically can’t carry a gun/knife/spray/tazer/anything remotely capable, is to at least have something to assist you.
A couple of seconds head start running away or letting you get your fists/feet/keys/pen in action, has got to help.
Apologies if I made it sound like I wanted a magic wand!

Any more small, high output recommendations?

Ps I did read the battery safety information. That’s something else I’ll pay attention to.

Forget your suggestion too then. :+1:

My comment was ment tongue in cheek, certainly no trolling, I had posted a sensible reply in an earlier reply :slight_smile:
I guess I could have said 3000 lumens out of that tiny torch Jerommel has would probably impress a mugger so much he’d forget about mugging you and want to know how something that small could be so bright, sadly I doubt many muggers are secret blf fans :wink:

On a more serious note I’d say forget about using those few precious second to fumble with shinning a strobe in someone’s eyes and use it to think of an exit strategy, I’ve been in that situation and things happen mighty fast, and what are you going to do if it has no or little effect on the attacker ?
I’ve been in a situation with a drugged up mugger and I had a 5 stone dog with me that is mainly teeth and mussel, the attacker barely blinked, only controlled use of a blunt object subdued him - we’re not allowed guns - and then 3 officers to get him in the van.

This thread is getting dangerously close to political…

…but my recommendation for the Convoy S2 stands. As has been posted, the most important aspect of self defense is situational awareness. Keep your eyes open, head up, look around, don’t create the appearance of being a victim. A flashlight is a great tool to aid in this, and can be used to ensure that no one is hiding around/in dark areas, entry ways, vehicles, etc. When walking through a dark parking lot, I always keep my flashlight in my weak-side hand ready to use if necessary, but it is not a defensive tool, it simply supplements other defensive strategies. The light can help increase your situational awareness, without being used as any sort of a weapon. Where I live, additional defensive tools are legal ( :wink: ) and my free hand is always ready to deploy if needed. In addition, IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR AND TRAINED in such things, a flashlight could also be used as a kubotan-style tool, to attack pressure points on an assailant.

Some time back, we were shopping at a store in our area. The location where we parked was crowded, but had cleared by the time we had finished shopping, leaving our car standing alone in the area. As we began loading our purchases in the car, I noticed a person casually walking across the parking lot in our direction. Normally not a big deal, but was strange as we were alone in an otherwise empty area and he was walking directly toward us. At that point, I stood up, turned toward him (still about 100’ away) and watched him intently. When he noticed my change in posture, he immediately turned and walked in a wide arc around our car, and then walked off in a different direction than when approaching us. Not certain what his intention was, but it served as a good example of the importance of maintaining an awareness of your surroundings.

Funnier examples are watching kids glued to smart phones walking into stationary objects… :smiling_imp:

Don’t be afraid to look people in the eye, so they are aware that they are being watched. Criminals want a victim; the key is to not present the image of a victim, so they will look elsewhere. Always keep your eyes open, and if something doesn’t feel right, walk away.

quote:
“Some time back, we were shopping at a store in our area. The location where we parked was crowded, but had cleared by the time we had finished shopping, leaving our car standing alone in the area. As we began loading our purchases in the car, I noticed a person casually walking across the parking lot in our direction. Normally not a big deal, but was strange as we were alone in an otherwise empty area and he was walking directly toward us. At that point, I stood up, turned toward him (still about 100’ away) and watched him intently. When he noticed my change in posture, he immediately turned and walked in a wide arc around our car, and then walked off in a different direction than when approaching us. Not certain what his intention was, but it served as a good example of the importance of maintaining an awareness of your surroundings.

what does this have to do with a flashlight though?

wle

Stressing the importance of situational awareness over the use of expecting tools to help protect. I had my flashlight in my hand ready to use if needed, but was not forced to use it, or use/display any other defensive gear to avert a possible situation.

I think it would be blinding.
And that was the whole point of this thread if i’m not mistaking.
And likely it’ll do more than 3000 Lumens on a 9 Volts pack.

When you turn on one of those 3000 lumen pocket rockets in a dark area you got for sure the attention of people arround
And someone who might want to harm you thinks twice if its a good idea

Strike bezel is not too important but any 250g hard object in your hand makes any strike a lot more powerful, especially if you opponent is blinded by a very bright stobe