Newby looking for a thrower

thanks

Gee, looking at the times for the C8L vs the C8G is interesting. I'd seen charts by reviewers for the C8L but not for the C8G. The C8L looks very impressive considering is has a much larger beam. It means a lot to me that @ 500 lumens (in reality about 360 lumens from memory?) I have over 6hrs. In the past I've been happy with 5 lumens on well trodden single track. With 100 lumens I reckon I could follow faint track with some hunting around here and there. The stated lumens for both lights are very exaggerated. The posted times for the C8L seem fairly close to what I've read from other testers. Ahh, just realised different batteries used for each; still it's good, my batteries are bigger again.

Light Group Turbo High Medium Low Eco
Group 1 2000 lm 1000 lm 300 lm 75 lm 1 lm
Group 2 Ramping: from 10 lm to 2000 lm
Running time 6 min (Turbo) + 1h 40 min (High) 4 h 50 min 6 h 30 min 31 h 800h
Beam Distance 564 m 454 m 254 m 125 m /
Peak Intensity 79417 cd 41667 cd 16083 cd 3917 cd /
Impact Resistance 1 meter / 3.28 feet
Water Resistance IPX8 (2 meters / 6.56 ft depth)

C8L graph from 1Lumen

Ahh, OK, their times are optimistic too (as well as their lumens). I’ve looked at so many charts for different lights and forgotten which is where. Actually their figures are even worse because they’re supposedly based on a 4800mah battery; 1lumen used the supplied 5000mah battery.

I never really care too much about lumens, it’s the range and the specs are met at just 13m less. I only use a cheap light meter so I wouldn’t rely of mine over theirs

Keep in mind that no reviewer is using a verified lumen test setup, so they’re more useful to compare against other models we’ve reviewed also. There was a BLF member called Maukka who had a professional light integrating sphere who tested flashlights and shipped them to us to properly calibrate our equipment. The only issue is, that even though Maukka presented a certificate showing his calibration light from China was accurate, no one can verify that the company that provided that cert was genuine.

The only possible way to know that these flashlights we purchased from Maukka are accurate, would be to pay a lot of money to have one sent to a accredited lab for testing. Basically, they’ll provide an estimate of the rating, but I’d never say my tests are more accurate over a manufacturer who has a professional sphere worth thousands

like other users I also liked the C8L so much. if you are interested this is my review:

Thanks Argo; I’ve already read that :slight_smile:

I can’t remember which review, but yeah, the reflector was very slightly more range than the TIR - on paper. I have both and visually there is no real difference in range although the beams are different. With some targets/conditions you might notice a tad more light with the reflector but they’re so close to one another. Also, I think RC means “spill” rather than flood. There is zero flood with either light. The reflector gives a pretty minimal but still useful spill. I’ll agree that the reflector version dissipates heat significantly better with that extra mass in both host and reflector.

I think you are seriously over thinking your decision.
There are endless different models and specifications out there, that pinning you down to a decision on here may be impossible.
You have runtime parameters (which means stuff all in reality, as it’s dependent on more than a few factors - most of all the battery YOU use). You are have range, amps, your eyesight, heat, torch size, LED type, output stability, beam size and lumens all in the mix.

Simplify your decision and buy a C8 with the Osram KW CSLNM1.TG emmitter, and a spare 18650 if runtime is a concern.
Everything else you mentioned is almost moot - light is light. You’ll be here for months asking for something to fulfil your specific needs, but even then I can see you looking far too far in to the technical aspects of your final decision. Buy one and use it, all this back and forward will only get you so far and members here can’t do much more than offer up models that fit your bill. Which they have.

Honestly, the C8+ with CSLNM1 would be a bad choice for bush walking, it’s too narrow. I mentioned it at first until realizing.

And this is where the problem lies, the dude wants throw. I think he needs to just buy something lol.
I walk with a 2X Shooter on occasions and that has a narrower beam. I’d be comfortable saying the C8 will have enough close-in spill to walk with.

as a newbie, be warned that a ‘thrower’ is less useful than you may think

i almost never have any use for one

i have a semi floody EDC style light [FW3A] and i use it about 50 times a day

a ‘thrower’ - maybe 4-5 times a year

i certainly do not carry them around, usually the heads are too big for pocket ability

and the ones i have use multiple cells, so again not worth carrying around

wle

This is my comparison which includes the shooter 2X and C8+ with CSLNM1 and CULPM1. The CSLNM1 is narrower. The CSLNM1 is labeled Osram V1 since I was selling these custom made long before I got Simon (Convoy) to stock the Osram chips.

Edit: I guess that would depend on which version of the 2x you have. The first and best version for hunting was the XML2 dedomed, then Maxtoch released it with the CSLNM1

I’m going to order both :laughing: The C8G and the C8L. I can still see a use for the C8G in more open country or on the coast - we have lots of wild coast. The C8L for the mostly closed in and urban stuff; it’s also a bit more tactical too.

I read a comment from a farmer in NZ who has both. His land is in the hills (of course), and mostly clear - his preference is for the C8G. That’s understandable given the open country that he generally uses it in. He also said that the C8L gets much hotter in turbo than the C8G. They’ll both be good for me.

These will be accessory lights - my usual walking light is an ancient head lamp with a 4xaa battery pack at the back :) You guys would laugh at it about 10 - 20m range max and it’s just flood. If I was doing extended walks again I’d look at a 21700 battery pack headlamp, but I’m not so what I have will do.

I’m looking forward to them :slight_smile:

Yeap very first version, 2nd batch, with better QC’d head-screws.

Yeah, so the one in the video is the dedomed XML2 which is wider. This is at 150m, this shows quite a lot more spill with the 2x for walking around. Back then Convoy’s 5A driver was running at 4.8A, now it’s pushing 5.7A which is damaging the CLSNM1, so if Poohduck was to use the 3A driver he’d be getting less spill making it less useful walking in the bush.

Maxtoch’s build quality has gone downhill a bit since though. I reviewed the L3K LEP and 1Lumen has also touched on it being subpar for the price. I’ve spoken with far too many customers with their Maxtoch models failing. Excellent performance though, can’t fault them there.

To clarify, it’s the dedomed XM-L2 U4 I have.

Bought the C8L for $49 Au which includes Au tax ($34 US) - that sale on Aliexpress has just started. I also got a store coupon of some sort (click on “get coupons”). That’s without battery - I already have some. Extra (but reasonable) for battery.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004069731752.html

Nice choice!

I wonder if there's a "21700 C8" that has an XHP70?

(I like the XHP70 more than the XHP50.)

I did look for something using that emitter - Weerapat Kiatdumrong mentioned that it runs cool and is fairly economical re power. There is the SP33s; it isn’t what I was looking for. I don’t think it has a spring at the front, but can’t remember