Newby looking for a thrower

Wow, those are nice looking.

Of course it won't make the flashlight any skinnier, but I could see myself getting some of those adapters someday.

I also bought the C8G :smiley: Now I’m going to try not to look at anything else

I have Convoy M21A SFT 40 6 amps, Convoy L21B SFT40 8 amps and Sofirn C8G SST40.
Last week I go with my two friends to test throw of thi 3 flashlights and we found dark straight road which have 700 meters straight lenght between two curves.
Night was dark without moon and we test it in way that one of us turned on the lamps and illuminated the road from the starting bend on road, and the other two moved away and measured the light intensity with the photographic light meter application on a mobile android phone. We took a notebook with a handwritten text and went to the limit where the text could be clearly read and then measured the intensity of the incident light on a light meter in order to compare the intensity of the light evenly. The light meter app detects the lowest light level of 1ev at a simulated sensitivity of 25 ASA and that was the limit at which the text could be easily read. Sofirn C8G had the shortest range of approximately 450 meters. Convoy M21A without problems 650 to 700 meters, which is the maximum distance that was available to us before the bend in the road begins, and Convoy L21B at that distance has a much stronger intensity and direction of light and, according to our estimation, has a greater range by at least 200 to 250 meters of light from the M21A. I think that of these 3 lamps, the Convoy M21A is the most usable in all situations because it is more compact in size than the L21B and provides more peripheral lighting, and the 6 amp driver also provides a slightly longer battery life.
Sofirn has a much worse driver and the light intensity is less regulated in relation to the voltage drop when compared to these two Convoy lamps. Discharged battery that cannot start the turbo mode in the sofirn lamp, when inserted in the convoy lamp starts the 100% mode with a visible difference compared to the 35% mode.

thanks for the feedback acobp. I hope it is useful for someone here - I already have my lights.

What I’ve found so far; heat really is an issue the the C8L. I was lucky during my research that I also chose the C8G believing that it would not get that hot. This was just from snippets of comments here and there of reviewers. It is a pity that reviewers don’t measure heat as part of the reviewing process - after all, it is heat the dictates how long a light can sustain higher levels more so than battery life. Heat also adversely effects the batteries.

Just playing with the C8L with short burst of turbo, strobe, and high it was starting to get hot. Out of the two, the C8L would work better on a bike. I think I’ll take the C8L while riding mtb if I think there is a chance of me being caught in the dark (late afternoon, have a mechanical issue or come off).

As an accessory light for walking (I use a headlamp) I’ll simply take the C8G through the warmer months, and the C8L through the colder months. They both have their strengths and weaknesses like everything else.

Also, I don’t like the charging flap on the C8L - I’d rather not have charging. Sofirn themselves see this as a weakness for water ingress.

I have also bought a miboxer c4 charger. That thing is awesome. I’m not particularly knowledgeable with rechargable batteries, but have learned a bit about lithium ion. With this charger, I can see the internal resistance of the battery. Yesterday it was 12C inside, and the resistance of the battery was .73. This was higher than when I initially charged the batteries to 35% for storing, they were around .20 to .40. Because I wasn’t in a hurry I lowered the charging input to 400mAh. I only charged it to 83% - allowing 3% use for my playing around with the light. I really like the charger. I see that previous versions of this charger had a temp readout - this version doesn’t, which is a bugger. However the internal resistance readout is handy, and at 400mAh input the battery remained cool. It can charge as low as 100mAh and as high as 1.5 amps. I imagine the lower settings will be more useful to me, especially in hot or cold weather. The default charging is auto where “charger could automatically distribute the charging current based on the internal resistance of the battery”.

Heat isn’t an issue for the C8L. My review shows a max head temp of 54°C for both Turbo and High modes. 50°C - 65°C is what many brands set their thermal limit at. Most batteries have a max safe temp of 80°C so there’s really nothing to worry about. The internal components won’t see damage until 90 - 120°C

The C8G doesn’t get as hot because the thermal regulation has issues. Back when the C8G was changed from the XHP35 HI to the SST40, reviews show that it stepped down too early. It’s also unregulated so the output reduces with the battery’s voltage which reduces its temp, whereas the C8L is regulated and holds a steady output, so you’ll notice the temp more.

1 Thank

Thanks for that feedback

It really doesn’t matter which one you purchase; in about 6 months you will have more flashlights than your local hardware store.

Not necessarily, I run my own flashlight store for 8 years and I only use the BLF A6 (modified), Astrolux S2 (modified), Skilhunt H04 RC. I’ve been sent heaps of models to review, but straight in the box they go afterwards. I have no need for anything else.

If you have a flashlight store you may not have to buy them, but you still have access to all you want.

Nothing gets touched. I have no need for anything else.

Reviewed the Acebeam X75 and immediately sold it after I published the review.

I can understand that sentiment - it has been that way with me for watches and pocket knives. I’m still interested in flashlights. I don’t intend to keep on buying them, but if I saw a great deal on a wurkkos ts30s for example :smiley: . I’d rather stay familiar with what I have though, says my logical side.

Ok so you are the oddball and what Bwana says is still 99.9% true .
You always wanted to be special and now you are .
the reason people have so many lights is they want to make good decisions and it takes many lights to figure out what you like and don't like . Without real experience your opinion isn't going to hold water.

Dad has a Lumintop GT90, Lumintop ODL20C, 2x Convoy C8+, and a LED Lenser headlamp. Started in 2016, yet hasn't needed anything else. The GT90 is to get rid of poachers on the farm hunting pigs, their dogs can start killing our animals.

I know not one person in New Zealand that buys heaps of them either, yet just loves to own one decent light.

It all depends on whether flashlights become an obsession/interest. I love them, but I mod what I have when I need to. Forgot to mention that I have an Ultrafire zoomie (unmodified) that I use still, I just need light, I'm not one who cares too much what it looks like, I just need to see.

In saying all that, for the last 2 years I'm continuously reviewing different models, so I get to experience what most wouldn't without buying a lot.

1 Thank

Pocketknives and watches. I’m 72 and have been interested in both since childhood.

Along the way I purchased a Rolex, Panerai, 3- Glycine’s, 2 Eterna Kon Tiki’s a Concord Impresario, Omega Seamaster and a few other lesser brands. These were acquired over many years I’m not rich, but I might be if I didn’t buy all this crap.

Pocket knives, maybe 30, none cost over 20 bucks. I love bowie knives, so I have 5 or 6 and some other fixed blades. Gotta have at least one K-Bar.
I also go bit by the sword bug and have more than I need of those.

I’m starting to think I might have OCD.

1 Thank

Thought you were talking about the candy for a second lol was quite the thing when I was in school. That takes me back many, many years

If you need a good thrower, don’t ask the Tigers or the Nationals. :stuck_out_tongue:

I bought 2 Sofirn IF22A flashlights to be my “throwers” They are small enough for jacket pocket carry which is important to me.
I also have the much larger SP70 which I bought a year or so prior.

I would love to say how effective they are at long range, but other than shining them up and down my block I have had little chance to truly test their abilities.

1 Thank

Perhaps people do make good decisions, and they are quite happy with their flashlights, at that time. Technology in this area is thriving because of all you guys - enthusiasts. A new better toy comes along and you’re not so happy with your older toy :smiley:

I think the best you can do is try to make the best decision at the time and stick with it. As for all the folk here who have a collection of lights - I understand it :partying_face: I shall try to aspire to the wisdom of funtastic (he must be an adult :laughing: )
I’ll try to use these two lights whenever I can. It has added a new dimension to exploring at night time for me.

I’m much more fond of the look and feel of Convoys C8+. The matte finish is so much nicer and they did away with the old ugly style of an over used designed light.
I have a bunch of lights and it isn’t about collecting. It’s about learning what you like or dislike . The C8+ for under $20 ? Is like the.S2+ Convoys ..multiple colors , emitter choices .. it’s a must have light .

If you tape cardboard wings to a Sofirn IF22A it throws further.