Nichia 519A

Hi, are these pictures taken with white balance setting of the camera held at a constant value, say 5000k?
If not, IMHO that would be a reason why the tints/colors look all different in your series of pictures of the same 519a? If WB is held constant, I think a particular flashlight’s tint should look more similar regardless of what tint/color it is adjacent to.

Asking because I myself am thinking about getting a flashlight which gives me a choice of 519a vs 219b. The second picture of 519a is so green (even if I cover up the light next to it) that it would make choose 219b for sure.

The first picture is helpful because it shows 219b and 519a don’t even look remotely like each other. 219b rosy/purplish, 519a yellowish & not a hint of rosiness. Is that the general impression so far? PS thanks for the effort and pics.

Which flashlight?

If you want neutral Tint, get 519a.

If you want pink Tint get 219b.

Thank you.
Convoy S21D. Now that I think about it, at $32 each what was I debating about? I am going to order both; no need, all want . :slight_smile:

OT - battery rec. please for S21D: 8 amp draw per listing IIRC, which Samsung is better: 50E (10 amp, 5000 mah) or 40T (35A, 4000 mAh)?

great idea! :-)… I dont know what battery to suggest… maybe ask the seller?

Seller (Simon of Convoy) seems to be using these LiitoKalla 50E batteries, but I saw Samsung high current 40T on sale for $5 so I went ahead and pulled the trigger Samsung 40T 21700 4000mAh Battery (40T3) . In all my hobbies more power or more anything always seems to be better :innocent: so hopefully same principle applicable here.

Work has been a touch stressful LOL so I added a M21B in addition to the two S21D’s, all 3 Convoys with GT FC40, 519a, 219b, end up costing LESS than my Olight M2R, which of course is a bit on the green side with that Cree LED (thank goodness not noticeable in real life use, my daily late evening walk). Have to love Convoy.

congrats on your budget Convoys… I hope they serve you well.

FWIW, Artiet59 knows how to change the LED in an Olight

519a 4500k is twice as bright as 219b 3000k

for daytime use, the 519a 4500k has bumped my sw45k out of the workshop

Hard to guage from the photo, but would you say the 219b at 200 lens still offers better intensity over the 519a at 400 lumens in these two identical hosts?

good question, I did a test and the answer is no.

the hotspot on the 219b measured 1.6 lumens, and 1.9 lumens with the 519a.

the lights were 22” from the wall, the 219b set to 31 lumens, and the 519a set to 59 lumens (thats as close to double I could program).

bottom line is the LUX in center of hotspot, of the 519a is 19% higher than the 219b, when the 519a is set to 90% higher output.

otoh, at equal lumens, yes the LUX is higher on the smaller hotspot from the 219b

with the 219b, set to 39 lumens, the lumens in the hotspot on the wall reads 1.6

with the 519a set to 41 lumens, the lumens in the hotspot on the wall reads 1.2

so the 219b has 33% more LUX when both lights are at the same lumens.

the smaller hotspot of the 219b is more intense, but the larger hotspot of the 519a is more useful at indoor distances, because it illuminates a larger field.

Thanks for all the great info. I bet the dedomed 519a will compete with 219b in intensity but benefit from the higher brightness, all else equal.

thaks for prompting some interesting comparisons:

Though I like the warmer CCT (3400K), I do not like the small, irregular, hotspot of the dedomed 519a

I ordered some 3000k 519a to try next, so I can
Leave the Hat (Dome) On

output comparison… 519a is 53% brighter than sw45k:

“Parcel dispatched” from Aliexpress - 519a and 219b both at 4500k. I hope to have fun with these bad boys.
Have same LED’s in Emisar D4V2 bodies with various Carlo optics (spot, clear, frosted) so the fun should easily double. Maybe even triple with the GT FC40. :innocent:
30 bucks each for these beautiful things - I simply could not resist.
And thanks to this thread for the valuable info.

woohoo!
thanks for spending your money for my vicarious thrill

I look forward to your Day of Joy… :wink:

I’ve also got a S21D 519A on order. Looking forward to it, may even rival the excellent Acebeam E70.

Does that mean it is safe to use Simon’s copper MCPCB with the 519A in a SC31pro? I think tailcap current was measured somewhere at 6.7A (haven’t measured myself, and definitely didn’t take it apart to measure current to the LED but that is likely the same unless it’s a buck driver. Datasheet spec is 6A max on the SST40 so I suspect Sofirn won’t let it go much beyond that).

Secondly, generally the datasheet values look to be very conservative, also with the SST20, which is stated to be max 2A or 3A depending on datasheet. However, it is driven much higher in many tests. So could I take Simon’s copper MCPCB with SST20 4000K and use it in a Wurkkos FC11? (where it is driven at 3.7A as I read in one review) and will it last or will the LEDS not last long with these high currents?

I am curious about this as I don’t like the LH351D in the FC11, it is not bad, but something just feels off every time I use it. For general use I would even prefer the lower CRI XPG 5B1 and XML 4C I have in other torches. I have an IF25A with SST20 4000K and that is just perfect in light colour (for a work light), where nothing feels weird at any time (in any situation with different coloured objects), so I’d like to install that in the FC11 (along with a TIR to give a wider beam). I am curious to see the 519A in action too and compare it to the SST20.

Single 519A direct drive (SC31pro) will draw too much current, unless they use really bad springs and you use a high DCIR cell (which the case of sofirn cells actually ~60mΩ, unless they improved since last time I measured one ~2years ago)

good luck with your 519a testing… fwiw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/svw36r/wurkkos_fc11_sst20_4000k_vs_lh351d_4000k/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Fwiw I measured the actual LED current and don’t get over 2,5A on turbo. Stock SST40. Tested with Wurkkos 3000mA and LG HE4 cells (both not fully charged though). Have another SC31pro that I modded with a LH351D and so far no issues.

see below

There is probably an error somewhere, it’s a direct drive light, the current should be much higher than 2.5A with an SST-40. Zeroair measured 6.8A.