Nichia 519A

glad you like your 519a

the green is obvious to me, and to my iPhone, IF I include an sw45k in the comparison

can you see green in this photo? (to me it is very obvious)

if not, you might be red-green color blind.

maybe try this test:

IRL, I can see the green compared to a SW45k, but only momentarily after I look away from the pinkness of that legendary emitter. In the above photo, I think the camera has increased the green by adjusting white balance to compensate for the pink on the SW45k. To be clear, I can see yellow in the 519A, particularly in the corona, which of course is a mixture of red and green, but I don’t think green is dominating red by any means. In contrast, my 219C 5000k D240, in a Haiku head, has enough tint shift between blue-pink hotspot and corona to make the corona appear slightly green. Not so in the 519A. Still, to give credit to the SW45k, it seems to have even less tint shift than the 519A.

thanks for your thoughts and observations

the 519a does not look green, nor yellow to me, when my brain is white balanced to sunlight.

it is only after dark, that I see the green/yellow tint
(or when I compare to the sw45k, which looks hyper pink to me during the day.)

for some reason, that I do not understand, I do not see the pink of the sw45k at night.

I see the Tint of sw45k or 519a, very differently, depending whether my brain is adapted to sunlight vs incandescent ambient light…

same here
IF I only look at ONE source, my brain makes it white

it is only by comparison to either ambient incandescent, or to another LED with lower DUV Tint, that I can see the green in 519a

I like the 519a neutralness during the day, I also really like the color rendering.

I see green in the 519a at night, but not during the day.

(when I say green, that includes greenish yellowish, all being above the BBL)

also agree
if I stare at a beam on a wall for too long, I just upset myself… LOL

no light is perfect for all applications, thats why we have more than one :slight_smile:

congrats on your 519a Zebra… great package…

Thanks! This host biases me toward the emitter. I hope 519A is more widely available in a month or so. Also, it seems likely that de-doming a 519A 5700k could obsolete the SW45k; similar everything but more output and overdrive ability. We will see.

How’s the duv of the 519a on lower outputs? Either way it looks more like a reference light than the pinkish SW45k.

data

Ah very nice. Slightly above BBL at lowest outputs and slightly below BBL at highest outputs seems pretty ideal.

Have to agree, close to the BBL meets most use (non-flsshlight) case requirements of white LEDs.LEDs are rarely made specifically for flashlight enthusiasts.

another byte at the Opple:

519a DUV hovers in a +–0.0030 range around the BBL

some CCT of 219b have lower DUV than this 519a 4500k

519a DUV is closer to daylight DUV, than 219b DUV is to daylight DUV

because most 219b DUV is closer to incandescent DUV, than to Daylight DUV

isn’t incandescent 0.00 DUV?

How is the tint compared to SST20 4000k and LH315D 4000k/5000k?

yes
and sunlight is nominally 0.0032

(I also edited the post that you asked that question about…)

I dont have those LEDs.

That beamshot looks pretty damn perfect!

Thank you. What a nice thing to say. Much appreciate it.

I look forward to hearing yours and others impressions when you get your hands on a 519a…

the hotspot is quite large… fun times

My sm453-bin 519A is very similar to the rosiest SST20 bin I have - which I don’t know for sure but is probably FA4. So if you are deciding between these it will probably come down to what beam shape you want. I would venture a guess that it is easier to get a nice even beam out of the 519A.

I only have LH351D in 2700k and 5500k. The 5500k is much cooler and a bit greener than the other two.

John

How come that the tints differ between the SW35’s ? are they different?

that is correct

LEDs vary, that is normal

that is why Im so glad to be able to measure DUV for myself.

so when I say an LED looks more Rosy than another, I can show a photo of the beam, PLUS a DUV value

here are some of my 4500k 219b… they are all different in amount of pink tint (photo taken before I had an opple):

some more tint variation examples:

Opple measures –0.0029 Tint Variation between sw30 LEDs.

and –0.0021 difference between two sw45k:

Which Convoy do you guys think would be more appropriate for the 519a - the S2+ w/ 5A driver, or the S21a with the 6A driver? Would 6A be overkill?

I’d say 5A because 6A is really close to the top of the curve.

That’s kind of what I’m thinking. Just would prefer the S21a to fill out my 21700 collection, and the S2+ is a bit too big for EDC anyway, IMO. So would rather just go a bit bigger for around the house use, bag carry, etc. But the 5A driver is probably more appropriate for this LED.