Nichia 519A

5A

They have a 17mm to 20mm adapter for the S21A so if you ask Simon they can likely make you a 519A S21A with the 17mm 5A driver.

pic links to more details

Nice work on the dedome Jon! The 3600k with duv –0.004 looks perfect!

Has anyone done a detailed comparison of dedoming methods for this emitter?

Bob_McBob and others have said the dome can be popped off easily by prying, but he felt slicing did a neater job.

I’m particularly curious if anyone has tried or intends to compare output and tint effects for slicing versus prying to see if either is optimal.

Thanks!

I like the dedome 519a better than 219b 3500k.

I was inspired by Artiet59

mine did not pop off completely on the first pull…

I had to pick away remaining bits… which was pretty easy, because there is a layer of glass under the dome, that protects the phosphors. Artiet59 also reported needing to pick bits off after pulling the dome off.

you can see the glass layer was exposed partly by the first removal of the dome (lower left quarter of the die):

here you can see the main dome, plus the extra bits I picked off:

dedoming reduced output by 11% in my V11r

there were no inconsistencies in the output of the die after dedoming and picking off the stray bits:

Dedoming really improves the tint based on your photos Jon!

I am eagerly waiting for my 519a’s from Simon.

Do i understand you correctly that the dome is placed over a glass layer of the LED?

dedoming the 4500k 519a produces a 3600k CCT with Negative DUV…

whether or not you consider that an improvement, depends on individual CCT and DUV preferences (I like the pink tint from the dedome but others prefer no pink tint)… and the beam issues, which depend on the host:

the beam w the dome ON works Much better in a V11r

yes, there is glass between the dome and the phosphor, making it very easy to pick off, or scrape off, the adhered bits of dome, without damaging the phosphor

I removed the dome with the LED installed in the light already,

so slicing was not an option. (unless I had removed the mcpcb from the light)

===

update
I could not be happy w the beam of the 519a 3600k dedomed in a V11r, so, I removed it and installed another 519a 4500k w dome on. Bragging rights… over 400 Lumens High CRI, in a Sunwayman V11r

If you like neutral tint, the 519a has more lumens, and a larger hotspot than sw45k.

Otoh dont compare the beams w sw45k on a white wall, because the sw45k makes the 519a look green.

FWIW the 519a has 30% less Lux in its 50% larger hotspot, than the sw45k, with its smaller hotspot.

I finally got my Simon 519As installed into a triple S3 and I’m impressed! There is enough rosiness to make the tint very nice. Much nicer than the triple KD NICHIA 219BT NEUTRAL WHITE 4500K HIGH CRI92 that I had installed in another flashlight.

Certainly not as rosy (purplish) as my triple Nichia 219B sw45k or quad E17A SM453 LEDs, but not in a bad way. I like them a lot, but the high rosy tint can be a little too much. I like the less rosy tint of the 4500K 519As a lot.

got some shots?.
thanks.

Got my 4500k 519As from Simon a couple weeks ago, swapped three into an FW3A and have been using it since.

Domed they’re incredibly neutral as everyone’s said which has been impressive, but the CCT/tint change from the super easy dedoming makes it hard to not recommend these at all, they’re fantastic. Dedomed, reds, browns and purples really pop and the tint is very slightly warm without being mega rosy, bless that high R9.

I need to get on that list for the other CCTs of this emitter, if this sample is anything to go by, they’re absolutely fantastic.

The neutral tint and decent output means that these should be good for night photography. I’m actually not a big fan of the hallowed 219B for night photography due to the magenta tint.

Of course!

Here’s the 519A compared to my other 4500K (or so) LEDs:

And here it is compared to my triple 219C 5000K LEDs to show the rosiness it has:

Hi, are these pictures taken with white balance setting of the camera held at a constant value, say 5000k?
If not, IMHO that would be a reason why the tints/colors look all different in your series of pictures of the same 519a? If WB is held constant, I think a particular flashlight’s tint should look more similar regardless of what tint/color it is adjacent to.

Asking because I myself am thinking about getting a flashlight which gives me a choice of 519a vs 219b. The second picture of 519a is so green (even if I cover up the light next to it) that it would make choose 219b for sure.

The first picture is helpful because it shows 219b and 519a don’t even look remotely like each other. 219b rosy/purplish, 519a yellowish & not a hint of rosiness. Is that the general impression so far? PS thanks for the effort and pics.

Which flashlight?

If you want neutral Tint, get 519a.

If you want pink Tint get 219b.

Thank you.
Convoy S21D. Now that I think about it, at $32 each what was I debating about? I am going to order both; no need, all want . :slight_smile:

OT - battery rec. please for S21D: 8 amp draw per listing IIRC, which Samsung is better: 50E (10 amp, 5000 mah) or 40T (35A, 4000 mAh)?

great idea! :-)… I dont know what battery to suggest… maybe ask the seller?

Seller (Simon of Convoy) seems to be using these LiitoKalla 50E batteries, but I saw Samsung high current 40T on sale for $5 so I went ahead and pulled the trigger Samsung 40T 21700 4000mAh Battery (40T3) . In all my hobbies more power or more anything always seems to be better :innocent: so hopefully same principle applicable here.

Work has been a touch stressful LOL so I added a M21B in addition to the two S21D’s, all 3 Convoys with GT FC40, 519a, 219b, end up costing LESS than my Olight M2R, which of course is a bit on the green side with that Cree LED (thank goodness not noticeable in real life use, my daily late evening walk). Have to love Convoy.

congrats on your budget Convoys… I hope they serve you well.

FWIW, Artiet59 knows how to change the LED in an Olight

519a 4500k is twice as bright as 219b 3000k

for daytime use, the 519a 4500k has bumped my sw45k out of the workshop