Nitecore EA4 - Quick Reference Guide (Cheat Sheet)

Excellent job Bcoz!! Thanks for sharing!

I guess many people would appreciate a similar chart for the Zebralight SC52 :slight_smile:

This is cool! Thanks for sharing this. I have an EA4W on the way and will probably find this useful when it arrives. On a related note, I do not see the EA4 as a gift for casual users anymore, knowing how complicated the UI can be. I can avoid the calls for help: “It’s just flashing the button at me, what do I do now?” :slight_smile:

I’m not sure it’s that complicated really. I just gave one away to a friend, with a note that he should be sure to lock it out when not in use. The only thing that confused me was the manual saying “three clicks” to get it out of lockout. Soon figured that was wrong, and you just need a press and hold.

It will be interesting to see how he manages with the light - buit I have also given him a photocopy of this QRG - thanks bcoz, nice job.

Excellent User Guide!

Just got my EA4 today, love it, but modes were definitely NOT intuitive. Thanks for putting this together.

Much better than the user manual. Thank you.

Are the links still working? I can’t seem to download them. Nevermind, it was NoScript. >.<

Thank you for making these!!

I was considering ordering this light later in the week, but this guide has me thinking twice. Are all nightcore interfaces this complicated. I have no doubt I can figure it out, but I’d like my flashlights to be able to be used by anyone in an emergency situation.

.... just click the switch and it comes on.

(If you've had it locked out just click and hold for a second or so)

It sounds worse than it is, really.

I had the same concerns, but really, the modes are not that complicated. A firm press gets the high mode in an emergency; a soft press for low, press it again softly for slightly brighter. I do not have use for the strobes though. I wish I had bought this light sooner!

So it’s half a click to cycle and a full click to turn on or off? I mean basically? It has mode memory right, so a full press turns it on to whatever the last mode was?

Great reference guide, John! I don't have an EA4 but I can see how this would be very useful to one who does.

@Werner: No issues on my Note2 or any Android devices saving the photo or accessing the pdf files on Skydrive. The only problem is you bought an iPad. I know you don't want to hear it but I have an iPad and several Android tablets and phones. The iPad really does suck for many reasons.

If only this light had a real low mode and not just 65 lumens low I might be tempted to get one. Even a 10 lumen low would have made this light that much more versatile but a moonlight mode would be even better and nigh irresistible.

There is a lockout function to prevent accidental operation. If you haven't activated the lockout then a full click turns the light on in hi mode and a soft click turns it on in your last used mode. (And cycles levels) Whnn it is on, a full click always turns it off.

If you have activated the lockout then it's slightly different but you asked about an emergency situation. In an emergency situation the light will turn on simply by full-clicking.

As I said, it sounds worse on paper. You won't find it complicated in practice.

Got it, thanks! I was more worried about someone else being able to pick up and use the light without a tutorial if I’m not around. Maybe me saying “emergency” was a little dramatic.

I’d love a moonlight mode too, but how to access it easily without losing night vision first?

Just had my Nitecore EA4 cool white today from FastTech and love the torch

Nice job on this. So, do you ever get used to the UI?

A question about the “lockout” mode: Does this mean that the circuit is completely disconnected so there is no parasitic drain at all? If not, how long can this light sit in storage before it runs the batteries dead? Thanks!

Yeah, after you’ve used the UI a few times, it becomes like second nature.
However, the cheat sheet is still handy if you have to explain to others how it all works.

Thanks. It sure is a nice light.