Nitecore EDC35 Review - LED Uhi 40 MAX - 5000 lumens

Nitecore EDC35 was sent to me directly by NITECORE for review.

Immagine

For technical details and to purchase the torch:
https://www.nitecorestore.com/EDC35-500 … -edc35.htm
https://www.nitecore-italia.com/torce.html

Useful links:
Nitecore Flashlight
https://www.instagram.com/nitecoreflashlight/
https://twitter.com/nitecorelight

Immagine

Nitecore has recently released, after the recent EDC33, the new EDC35 which is more performing and still compact in size which uses the new LED Uhi 40 MAX for the first time.

Immagine

The first novelty of the new EDC35 is the LED UHi 40 MAX which represents a unit made with an integrated multi-core design that combines a small but high intensity main core with 8 auxiliary cores arranged together in a single LED. As seen with the previous EDC33, this solution offers high light density and ultra-long throw allowing seamless switching between spot and diffuse lighting modes with just one click.
A light press of the tail button activates the tactical search mode (SEARCH) while a firm press activates the LUMIN SHIELD mode which, with its 5000 lumens, creates a large wall of disorienting and useful light certainly as self-defense.

Another important innovation brought by the EDC35, which I am seeing for the first time, is the new 21700 High Capacity Lithium battery with a good 6000mAh rechargeable via the USB-C port on the flashlight. With this battery the maximum autonomy is 90 hours (Ultralow 5 lumens). Unfortunately the internal battery is not removable or user replaceable.

Immagine

Nitecore EDC35 is compact (124.3 mm) and weighs 178 g including clip. It has a single switch in the queue to manage 4 brightness levels (HIGH, MID, LOW and ULTRALOW) in addition to the momentary levels LUMIN SHIELD (Light shield) and SEARCH (Depth light ).
EDC35 has a maximum output of 5000 lumens and a maximum peak beam intensity of 75,700cd with a maximum throw of 550 meters.
EDC35 is IP68 certified (2 meters submersible) and has impact resistance up to 2 meters.

The compact size and its features make it an ideal companion for many uses such as signaling, localization and night emergency assistance as well as for night walks and night fishing, camping and more.

Immagine

Main features:

· Uses a 9-core NiteLab UHi 40 MAX LED with a maximum output of 5,000 lumens
Maximum peak beam intensity of 75,700 cd and maximum range of 550 meters
· 4 brightness levels to scroll through; SEARCH and LUMIN SHIELD™ available
· Powered by a built-in 6,000 mAh lithium-ion battery for up to 90 hours of battery life
· Lock switch (Rapid Lock™) available for partial lock mode and full lock mode
· A micro-structured reflector provides long-range, wide-angle illumination
· The power indicators indicate the remaining battery charge
· Intelligent lithium-ion battery charging circuit with USB-C charging port
· Advanced Power Cut-Off (APC) technology for extremely low standby power consumption
· Highly efficient constant current circuit provides stable output
· Built-in Advanced Temperature Regulation (ATR) module (Patent No. ZL201510534543.6)
· Optical lenses with anti-scratch coating on both sides
· Constructed of military grade 7075-T6 aluminum alloy
· HA III military grade hard anodized finish
· Possibility of queue support
· Waterproof and dustproof rating according to IP68 (2 meters submersible)
· Shock resistant up to 2 meters

Specifications
Length: 124.3mm (4.89")
Head Diameter: 31.8mm (1.25")
Tube Diameter: 26.0mm (1.02")
Weight: 178 g (6.28 oz) (clip included)

Warranty Service
All NITECORE products are guaranteed for quality. Any DOA/defective product can be exchanged for a replacement product through a local distributor/retailer within 15 days of purchase. Subsequently, all defective/malfunctioning NITECORE® products can be repaired free of charge within 24 months from the date of purchase. Beyond 24 months, a limited warranty applies which covers the cost of labor and maintenance, but not the cost of accessories or replacement parts.

Immagine

The sample of the EDC35 sent to me by Nitecore, being pre-series, arrived without packaging in a plastic bag.
Inside I found the Nitecore EDC35 flashlight with the integrated 21700 6000 mAh lithium battery inside and the clip inserted. The sales package should also include a lanyard and a tactical sheath (NTH32) in addition to the multilingual manual.

Nitecore EDC35 is constructed of military grade 7000 series aluminum (7075-T6), therefore with a higher hardness than the 6000 series used previously, ensuring a more robust and long-lasting structure.
EDC35 has compact dimensions and a beautiful design highlighting the deep texture of the knurling (1 mm deep) on the body which allows a secure grip both with the torch wet and when using gloves. To the touch you can perceive the good quality of the materials and workmanship. The anodization is also excellent.

Immagine

EDC35 is made up of a single block and is managed by a single switch in the queue. The numerous writings on the torch body are well made. The tail design allows the torch to be placed upright (candle-like).

Immagine

Immagine

EDC35 comes supplied with a large chrome Clip (DCP, Deep Carry Pocket) combined with a paracord 550. Both accessories are excellent and allow the torch excellent portability, ensuring the light remains securely attached. The Clip is already inserted in its space and I think it is not easy to remove it. The manual then explains exactly how to insert the paracord onto the clip through the two large holes located on the top of the clip.

Immagine

On the head of the Nitecore EDC35 we find a very sturdy and really beautiful crenellated bezel, made of stainless steel, and an OP (orange peel) reflector with optical lenses with anti-scratch coating on both sides. In the center we find, for the first time, the 9 Core UHi 40 MAX LED, one central and 8 on the sides to provide a maximum power of 5000 lumens.

Immagine

Nitecore EDC35 has a protection sensor, located this time in the upper part of the projector, which limits the light output to 300 lumens (this function is only available when the flashlight is on the High level of 1300lm ), if it detects an obstacle at close range, to avoid overheating or burns and prolong battery life.
The protection sensor is automatically enabled when the flashlight is turned on. Once activated, it can be temporarily deactivated by briefly pressing the trailing button halfway. As already seen on other recent Nitecores, the sensitivity of the sensor can vary depending on the color and material of the obstructions. From some tests done it seems to work quite well.

Immagine

The SEARCH beam, with only the central LED, covers a maximum distance of 550 meters, while the LUMIN SHIELD alluvial beam covers a maximum distance of 500 meters.

Immagine

Nitecore EDC35 has only one switch in the tail. The rubber button is a decent size with audible clicks.
The EDC35 switch is two-stage; by lightly pressing the button but without reaching the end you have access to the first stage and the first click, with the activation of the momentary “SEARCH” level while continuing to press the button all the way we get access to the second stage, with click, activating the momentary “LUMIN SHIELD.
The first few times I found it difficult to turn on the EDC35 without activating one of the two momentary levels. To turn on the EDC35 you need to press the switch fully, quickly and with a fair amount of pressure. Once the torch is turned on by lightly pressing the switch it is possible to cycle through the four available levels. There is no Strobe and SOS.

Immagine

At the end, on the side, there are 4 status LEDs, green in colour, which indicate the charge status of the integrated battery. With the light on, the LEDs light up steadily to indicate the remaining battery charge, while with the light off, simply press the rear button halfway and the power indicators will light up to indicate the remaining battery charge (locking modes excluded).

Immagine

Status of power level indicators:

4 Constantly active 75% – 100%
3 Constantly active 50% – 75%
2 Constantly on 25% – 50%
1 Constantly on 0% – 25%

Also at the rear and on the side is the invisible USB-C charging port. To gain access to the port, to recharge the internal battery, you need to rotate the USB cover on the back clockwise. I find this an excellent solution instead of the usual rubber cap.

Immagine

On the EDC35 we find the writing and the indication of the direction to turn (arrow) to make the USB-C charging port visible and accessible.

Immagine

During the charging process, the four indicators will gradually switch from flashing to solid to show the battery level.
When the battery is fully charged, the EDC35 will stop the charging process and the power indicators will remain constantly lit.

EDC35 can be turned on during the charging process (excluding LUMIN SHIELD™ and SEARCH). Charging time is approx. 3 hours and 30 minutes. (Charge via 5V/2A adapter). Compared to other times I found the charging with stable current (max 2A) well regulated for almost the entire charging cycle.
When fully charged the standby time, according to the user manual, is approx. 12 months.

In the EDC35 there is a practical rapid lock selector (Rapid Lock™) with partial lock mode and full lock mode. With this system it is possible to prevent the accidental activation of the light during storage or everyday transport in an intuitive and fast way.

Immagine

Nitecore EDC35 next to other flashlights.

Immagine
From left: SPERAS EST MAX, Zebralight SC700d, Nitecore EDC35, Nitecore EDC33 e Fenix TK11 TAC.

…and near to the EDC33.

Immagine

USER INTERFACE (UI):

Immagine

The user interface of the Nitecore EDC35 is simple. The EDC35 has 4 levels of brightness beyond the momentary LUMIN SHIELD (Flood) and SEARCH (Spot) levels. The flashlight will directly access the previously stored brightness level when reactivated.
All levels are managed by the tail switch alone. In the future I would like a more functional interface with 2 switches such as the “P” series.

Immagine

The four available levels (not momentary) have the right spacing for me although I would certainly have preferred the Ultralow level lower than the current 5 lumens. Furthermore, the High level turns on all nine LEDs of the projector as does the momentary LUMIN SHIELD level.

Momentary tactical lighting
· When the light is on/off, half-press and hold the tail button to enter SEARCH. Release to turn it off.
· Press and hold the Rear Button fully to access LUMIN SHIELD™. Release to turn it off.

On off
· Turn on: When the light is off, press the tail button all the way down to turn it on.
· Off: When the light is on, fully press the tail button to turn it off.

Brightness Levels
When the light is on, half-press the tail button to cycle through the following brightness levels: ULTRALOW – LOW – MID – HIGH. The flashlight will directly access the previously stored brightness level when reactivated.

Lock/Unlock
The EDC35 has two locking modes (partial locking mode and full locking mode).
Half block mode:
· When the light is on, slide the lock switch up while holding the rear button halfway or fully to enter partial lock mode. The lock icon is visible under the lock switch.
· In Half Lock mode, half-press and hold the back button to access SEARCH; Fully press and hold the tail button to access LUMIN SHIELD™.
Note: To enter full lock mode, first slide the lock switch down to unlock the flashlight, then turn on the flashlight and then slide the lock switch up. The light will exit partial lock mode and directly enter full lock mode.

Full Lock Mode (default)
When the light is on/off, slide the lock switch up to enter full lock mode. The lock icon can be seen below the lock switch, indicating that the rear button is unavailable to activate the flashlight.
To unlock:
In both lock modes, slide the lock switch down to exit lock mode.

ATR (Advanced Temperature Regulation)
Built-in ATR technology adjusts the EDC33’s output based on working conditions and the surrounding environment to maintain optimal performance.

BEAM and RUNTIME

Nitecore EDC35, in the wall test, has a beam without particular artifacts with a bright and white hotspot and a corona with a color tending towards yellow-green. This is less evident outdoors in classic situations of use. I didn’t notice PWM in the four available levels.

Immagine

Using EDC35 in the most powerful modes, the heat emitted soon reaches high values even if lower than those found with the EDC33.
Let’s see a photo taken with a thermal imager immediately after using EDC35 with the highest level of 5000 lumens.

Immagine

Nitecore EDC35 has a powerful and amazing wide beam using the 5000 lumens LUMIN SHIELD momentary level. The average brightness of 300 lumens allows you to walk safely with a good close-up overview. The values in candela (lux/1 meter) found by me with measurement at 5 meters, in the 4 available levels, correspond to those declared by NITECORE.

Immagine

However, those of the two momentary levels, SEARCH (70100cd) and LUMIN SHIELD (61250cd) are slightly lower than the values in the table.

Immagine

With the OPPLE Light Master Pro, three meters away from the sensor, we find the value of the CCT color temperature and the Ra color rendering measured in the highest non-momentary level (High) and in the two levels higher, LUMIN SHIELD and SEARCH.

• The CCT value measured in the High level is 5655 while the Ra is 65.6 with the Duv value of 0.0112 shifted towards green.
  • The CCT value measured in the LUMIN SHIELD level is 6017 while the Ra is 68.5 with the Duv value of 0.0076
  • The CCT value measured in the SEARCH level is 6143 while the Ra is 69.2 with the Duv value of 0.0070

Immagine

Immagine

The Runtimes were done indoors with a temperature of around 18°C, using the internal battery, a fully charged 21700 6000mAh battery. In the discharge test it must be considered that the battery is new with few discharge cycles and that my example is pre-series.
From my tests the discharge times of the EDC35, in HIGH and MID, are lower than those in the table.

I would like to point out that the values expressed by the graphs must be evaluated above all as a reference because they were made with means and conditions different from those used in the laboratory.

In HIGH (1300 lumens) there is a light output higher than the Nitecore table value at start-up. The flow is constant with a slight decrease up to more than 4 minutes after start-up. Subsequently there is a more marked decrease until minute 20. After a sudden increase in brightness towards minute 177 there is then a sudden decrease as the battery is approaching exhaustion. At minute 235, EDC35 shut down.
In MID (300 lumens) mode you immediately have constant brightness for up to almost 6 hours after switching on (Excellent). Here too, two stepdowns subsequently bring the brightness to the low level (LOW 5 lumens) for about an hour before turning off.

Immagine

The first 30 minutes.

Immagine

I tried activating the momentary LUMIN SHIELD level several times and plotting the values on a graph. It is clear that after continuous activations the duration, approximately 15 seconds, at this brightness tends to decrease. By returning to less bright levels for a few minutes you then have the possibility to reactivate SEARCH or LUMIN SHIELD at full power.

Immagine

Video

CONCLUSIONS:

NITECORE recently presented the new EDC35 with some important innovations. Thanks to the collaboration with NiteLab EDC35 is equipped with the new UHi 40 MAX LED system with an integrated multi-core design with a power of 5000 lumens.

For the first time we have a 21700 6000mAh battery as power supply. Nitecore EDC35 is a compact flashlight, in size and weight, with some useful solutions for daily use such as the practical Rapid Lock and the retractable USB-C charging port. EDC35 is built well, without sharp edges, in a single block of military grade 7075-T6 aluminum alloy.

The user interface with the four normal levels plus the two momentary levels SEARCH and LUMIN SHIELD gives the possibility, thanks to the new nine-core UHi 40 LED, to have a powerful depth beam and a high brightness beam with wide coverage bright.

However, the single button in the queue, with two stages, makes the use of the levels somewhat cumbersome and I have not always been able to turn on the flashlight on the first try. The non-replaceable battery is another aspect to take into consideration even if its capacity and quality will certainly allow normal use for three or four years.

Thanks for reading the review.
Roberto

------ My Youtube Channel ------------------------------------------------

6 Thanks

Hello, would you also have any runtime/output data for the EDC33?

Cheers!

Hi, not yet I think next week.

Cheers for that! There is one mystery that I can’t figure out with both EDC33 and EDC35: why the reported ultra-low (5 lm) runtime is so short? Given the battery capacity and the LED efficacy of perhaps 150 lm/W it seems that the runtime should be way longer. What am I missing?

Probably the electronics use a lot of power while the light is on and destroy the efficiency

As for the light: if looks quite interesting except for the duv. Basically PC Green at +0.0112

Anecdotally, the NiteLab UHi 20 MAX (EDC33) is less green than UHi 40 MAX (EDC35), but I’m not sure if that’s true.

Non removable battery makes this light a pass.

1 Thank

The 1Lumen tint measurements for Nitecore MT2A Pro which uses UHi 20 LED (not MAX) list the duv value as close to +0.006 in High mode, which I understand indicates having somewhat less greenish tint than UHi 40 MAX as reported by Roberto?

Thanks for the review. Another light with a gimmicky proximity sensor that cannot be properly disabled - I’ll give it a miss.

Very sad about Nitecore, they are on a downward spiral. All their lights in the past few years were meh at best.

Compare to Armytek and Fenix. These are two companies that stick to what they know best.

Acebeam is also a rising star. Incredible products.

Manker is my new favorite flashlight company.

1 Thank

Roberto can confirm, but I think that the proximity sensor only kicks in when the light is in the ‘continuous’ High mode an no others and can be disabled manually by half-pressing the switch.

Hi, I’m away from home now, I’ll look into it tonight.

Roberto

For my use cases of light painting photography where the torch is connected via an adapter to a light painting tool, then the proximity sensor has to be able to be indefinitely disabled before use. A proximity sensor that can only be turned off after turning the light on, and being active on high mode is a big nope. So sad to see Nitecore producing one of the best flashlights for light painting (the P10GT and P10V2) and then going backwards with alternating frequency strobes and proximity sensors.

Out of curiosity, for the lights with proximity sensors, is there a way to cheat them if desired by e.g. sticking a little strategically shaped and placed blind/reflector on the lens?

I confirm, the proximity sensor intervenes only with the High level. Colors like black reflect light poorly and therefore the sensor works poorly.

Am I not confusing anything (judging by the graph in high mode, after ten minutes the brightness drops below 300lm and then levels out somewhere around 200lm)?

Based on this and two other reviews with output vs. runtime graphs, I believe that on High the luminous flux decreases gradually from some 1200 lm to some 750 lm in the first 30 min and than stays constant at this level for another 2 h.

p.s. Sorry, that was for the EDC33, but I imagine that the High mode in the EDC35 behaves similarly, perhaps with a bit higher outputs.