Nitecore TIP SE - Anyone see this light yet?

The buttons are stiff enough to make activation in my pockets a rare event in theory. In practice, I have never noticed this, but as it can self-activate, it can self-deactivate. You only know it was on when you’ve looked into your pocket all the time. It’s kinda Schrödinger-Light, except the light has a chance to survive and doesn’t need water and food.

Maybe. But maybe because I didn’t have it in the pocket but hanging off my neck. I would guess my use is less prone to self activation but maybe the guess is wrong.

Haha, it is not my fault, I am not the one who design it.

Yup, hate it so much till i have to let it go.

Yeah, I’ve had a few lights that I loved and hated at the same time and Tini is the one that polarizes me the most.
It’s a really great light except that turning it on took a long time because they wanted to prevent accidental activations…which would frequently happen nevertheless.
I kept trying to use it, always got tired of it eventually. Until it died.
I view TIP SE as even better host with even worse UI (due to protruding buttons). I hope swapping a MCU or a driver would be possible.
It shouldn’t be that hard now that oshpark offers flex PCBs on a budget.

Precisely. That clip is a “fall back” solution for failure to address the problem properly.

NiteCore seems to have trouble designing an efficient soft-lockout feature. Too much parasitic drain. Is the proper way some best kept secret? No. I just think for this price-point, Nitecore is cutting corners to save $$.

The TIP SE should have RECESSED buttons. Take a cue from Zebralight. It can be done.

Or, why not revisit the buttons of the EC4GT? I have this Nitecore brand flashlight & the button system is great. Accidental activation is rare. There is a lockout… although parasitic drain could be lower, compared to other electronic lockouts from other brands. The raised buttons on the TIP is a mistake…

My first tip turns on all the time without the lockout turned on. It even turns on sometimes with the lockout on. I’m lifting boxes and working in a factory every day lifting boxes and packing things that lean against my pockets. The lockout is definitely required for my uses.

Oh, I see :o Well, that should be harder to self activate, in theory, but it seems it isn’t :zipper_mouth_face:
Sorry for that! (Curiously, and now that I remember, I had my Aurora A8U turning on accidentally while I carried it on the neck :expressionless: )

Apart from this, I do like the TIP for the things I use it specifically, so I will keep an eye on this SE version. Wish it had WW leds (not Nichia, though).

And this is one of those threads that show how we (flashlight enthusiasts) really have different tastes for shapes/forms/UIs :wink: I like it!!

My original TIP did self activate inside my backpack on several occasions when I forgot to lock it out.

I’ll probably get one since I have every other one in the t line that’s over 100 lumens (tip, tip2, tini, tup, tiki) but I’ll continue to carry the tiki, so much more pocket friendly and the ui and flat profile button mean no accidental turn ons unlike the tip, tini, tip2, or the worst offender, the tup. Sounded like clickie switches for the se so that should be interesting.

Anyone get one yet?

Yep, I’ve had mine for a few weeks. Great light, in my opinion. Excellent runtimes, good mode spacing, good quality, useful beam. My only quibbles: 1) the highest Turbo mode is ridiculously high - I’d rather have a lower highest output with a longer runtime (in reality, though, that matters little, because I never use the highest output mode); and 2) I would have preferred a metal pocket clip screwed to the light, but that is also not a deal-breaker for a light of this type.

The buttons on the TIP and TIP SE take significantly more pressure to activate than the buttons on the TINY. They are different lights. The parasitic drain problem with the TIP in lockout was corrected even before the 2017 version came out.

Yepp

I really love my new EDC. (gungrey)

Top UI
3 good chosen stepps plus a real bright turbo

The lightcolour is nice/ ok for me.

Osram P8 (never heared something about this Led)

Looking good.

I use it without Clip and Demo modi (out after 30 seconds)

Money and what you get for ratio is :+1:

Regards Xandre

Has anyone reviewed the TIP SE yet and showed it charging correctly? Most affiliates are just showing a picture of it charged with green lights?

I own four of Nitecore keychain lights including the TIP SE and TUP. Never had a problem. The SE has a reversible clip that guards the switches when on a key ring or reverse for pocket clip carry. You can press and hold the select switch for constant turbo, when turbo turns on let go of the switch, or long press for temporary turbo. The TIR lenses and Osram emitters really throw out great lighting for such a tiny flashlight. My original TIP after years of owning it is still doing great but the green anodizing is just about worn off from carrying it everyday. Just like some people can’t stand Nitecore products and others I can’t stand Imalent products for my own reasons. Thank the Gods for variety and choice. Nitecore TIP SE :+1: :+1:

My TIP fell apart, anodisation was weak and my TIP SE in for review won’t charge

I just got a TIP SE in the mail today. I like the dual emitters; hate that it doesn’t have a lockout like the TIP CRI.

I keep one in my pocket all the time, work in an Emergency Room, and have to “move around a lot” on the job.

Without a lockout (like the TIP CRI)… occasionally I’ll discover my leg burning in my thin scrub pants.

Nice light, but I’ll never buy another one without a lockout. I don’t understand, it works great in the CRI, why remove a simple / useful feature?

That feature was gone in the TIP CRI 2017 already. Used it only for a short time as it had to be clipped outside the pocket. Pity since the form factor was really good for a pocket light.

I’m sure other affiliate reviewers loved it but I couldn’t live with it

Helps grind off switches:

Did you grind the buttons while still attached to the light?
Did you use a Dremel?

Used EBD-USB to monitor the charging current of a Nitecore TIP SE
(first drain the TIP SE by turning it On until it becomes very dim, forgot if it auto-turn-off or was just dimly lit)

Then charging shows this (measured from USB power source side):

Stated capacity is close to specs (500mAh, here it is 600mAh input)