Noctigon 20mm copper triple XPG/XPE/XTE coming soon!

I was kinda leaning toward this setup

http://intl-outdoor.com/xml-multicell-circuit-board-45a-ouput-55126v-p-543.html

http://intl-outdoor.com/t10b-1218650-flashlight-host-p-733.html

With 2 cells the runtime should be better and I'm sure I've read some reviews saying this is a very nice host. Don't know much about that driver or whether it would fit in the pill (depth wise).

I'm probably going to be wishing for XP-E2s but as Hank doesn't seem to carry them I might be SOL.

That has a ~38mm head (I think it is 35mm lens/reflector OD), you would need different optics. Would also have a lot of wasted space around the outside since the LEDs are all positioned to fit on a 20mm board.

Illumination supply is the only place to get the xp-e2 as far as I know. I just ordered from them with 6 dollar something shipping rate, so that is not too bad.

Looking good. I built something similar for the XENO S3A:

But I sanded the pill flat and soldered a piece of copper on it. I made the copper piece with a hacksaw, angle grinder and file.

By soldering horizontally on the pads provided, series is attained. And by soldering verically the two separate paths parallel is obtained? Then only the 2 wires coming up through the board need be attached at the primary pads and all 3 emitters work accordingly? With just the 2 wires? No messy tangle?

Wow, I can DO this! :slight_smile: (If I’ve got it right)

What are the Pro’s and Con’s of Series vs. Parallel? If 6A could be attained by stacking 8 extra chips (mathematically 6.58A but there’ll be losses) then would either way still net 2A to each emitter? So if 2A yields 600 lumens, approx, then the triple would be putting out some 1800 lumens?

I have a build planned that this would work beautimously on! All copper or brass, in a comparatively huge host. Another bullet like the .50 BMG I did, but considerably larger. 1800 lumens would work very nicely there, and this triple would eliminate some of the problems I was having figuring out how to power an MT-G2, 2 cells were stretching the envelope as I was wanting a reflector on that one. This triple with optics will be much shallower, and the cell option much easier, allowing for a notably larger copper heat-sink. Oh yeah, gotta love it when a plan comes together! :wink:

Looks good too, so you did have a chunk of copper :jealous:

You would need either a boost driver (yuk!) or 4 or more cells and a buck driver to run them in series.

Or, you could use the zener/resistor trick on a 105C and use 3 cells. 3 cells isn't really feasible in a light with a 20mm light engine, unless you want something with the length to width ratio of a fishing pole.

Yup, had that lying around. :D Above posted edited.. was no fun to fit this piece of copper in. ;)

I’m missing a lot in the time it takes me to figure out what I’m trying to say! lol

Bear with me, I’m a cub here. :wink:

25mm cartridge! :slight_smile: The 20mm optic wouldn’t look bad at all in the primer cup of a massive bullet. :wink:

I was referring to the fact that on aluminum even at 1A-1.5A the sag should be felt and with the Noctigon 3XP board that will be delayed.

Yes but the fishing pole format is what you end up with if you insist on using the board in a series config (or use four 18150s? lol). Boost drivers capable of running them at any decent current are all bigger than the right size flashlight host for this board & optics. Series will mostly only be useful in headlamps, bike lights, etc. where there is more room for a suitable driver.

Not very soon but it’s in the works and will fit just a bit larger optics.

The series wiring is for indoor/outdoor illumination (even vehicle) where a higher voltage is preferred rather than 3.3V.

I thought johnny mac would like these, hopefully they’ll pull match out of retirement too.

I’m definitely looking forward to having a play around.

I do still hope hank considers a 32mm xm-l 3up noctigon, it’d be good for mag mods and a few of the larger diy hosts knocking about.

With 3 x XP-G2s, the spec’ed max is 3 x 1500 mA, so 4.5 amps.

It’d be really nice if you (IOS) could offer a 17mm driver that could provide that emitter current out-of-the-box, as it’s a pain to stack 7135s (ask me how I know), and, the “natural” hosts for 20mm triples like this+Carclo lens is going to be a 20mm+ tube-style host, with typically very little room in the pill.

A single 17mm driver would be the easiest, but a double board driver with a 17mm contact board and a smaller PCB that is small enough diameter and height-wise that it could fit inside a pill would be ok, depending on height (again, ask me how I know).

Hopefully this’ll be ok in this thread, but another vendor has a boost driver that can drive 3ups in series, but only at 1 amp, which would be ok for XP-E2s, but under-driving XP-G2s. The board is a double board, with the contact board being 20mm and the other board being about 17mm. Boards are connected via pins, so if you can fit the upper board into the end of a pill, you can Fujik the area between them for add’l support (or for you comfy, probably make a pill extender instead :laughing:…

I don’t know about the runtime, but I recently tested a triple XP-G2 direct drive with a PD battery (thanks for the suggestion guys) and measured ~7.9 amps at the tailcap, so your calc is about right as far as amps. I only left it on for a few seconds, for fear of losing my triple, and then switched the light back to a 7135 board with 12 7135s… more reasonable with modes…

:party:

And you will sell suitable optics for your triple MCPCBs too right?

Hank - you're get'n me all tingling and excited, or is this a heart attack? Think'n a man-hug is in order.... Smile