Noctigon Copper MCPCB - Looks good!

It is, I have a guide around here as well.
Get a piece of metal to place underneath the star. Heat that metal with soldering iron instead of touching the star or needing a vice. Works very well for me from MCPCBs to soldering a big chunk of copper to extend a pill.

HK post sure works in mysterious ways…

Until now, all my intl-outdoor packages have arrived in 10-21 days after I have placed an order.

The copper mcpcbs and some stuff that I ordered on the 5.arrived yesterday. After 23 days. New “slow” record for a intl-outdoor package. Not really that slow.
My second order, placed on the 7. arrived after 8 days! (the ones pictures in OP) That is insanely fast!
Strange how it works. Both were shipped out fast, only two days difference, but a huge difference in arrival times.

Oh well. Very nicely packed! Thanks Hank!

I have just ordered an 16mm version yesterday.
I will notify when it arrives.

I see no MT-G2 boards in the pile… got something secret planned? :smiley:

Now confess! Why so many boards? :bigsmile:

Got a light for every day in the year? Changing them as fast as women change dresses? Everyday a new one? :wink:

Tihihi… Giggles like a little schoolgirl… 0:)
(waiting for some parts. I might make a thread in somewhere between 1,5 to 4 weeks if it works out)

Ok, ill confess my sins.

I have upgraded a few P60s, put one in a New 612, one in a C8. (some evidence in links).
I have a SRK, in the need for 3.
I have another SRK (UV-S5) on the way, there goes another three.
A planned future Maglite build. There goes another three.
I have a few Nichia 119, Some day, they will get a home. There goes probably 3-4 boards.
I have a zy-t11 and zy-t29 that needs copper mcpcbs. (btw, DrJones lumodrv is an awesome driver)
I have another two lights on the way that will need them. (I blame Wallbuys sale :stuck_out_tongue: )
My fat flooder will probably get one.
Its also nice to have some spares in the inventory box.

So, to sum it up, I have already ordered more… 0:)
The majority of my lights will have copper mcpcb. Probably all future lights that could even have the slightest use for it will get one…

Ummm….WTF? I ordered one of these Noctigons in 20mm with an XP-G2 reflowed onto it. Did I get ripped off?

R86, were you lapping that, and it went aluminum on you? SinkPads feel heavy compared to a regular star. Can you tell by weight that these are pure copper?
Actually, it kind of looks like a two layer plating, something silver colour (nickel probably), then gold.

ENIG… Electroless Nickel, Immersion Gold.

Copper (Looks like pure, but obviously impossible to be sure)
Nickel
Gold

You can’t plate gold directly onto copper. Well, you can, but the copper atoms will migrate through the gold layer, and in time, you’ll end up with copper on the surface again. Nickel is used as a barrier to prevent the copper atoms from migrating.

I figured it was something like that, didn’t know the tech behind it though. I guessed that gold would not plate on copper at all. Thanks for the info, PPtk!

My pleasure. Yeah, it will plate just fine and look perfect. Depending on the thickness of the layer though, the copper will fully migrate back to the surface over the course of weeks or months.

i never knew that about gold, so if i left a 10K ring on a penny, what would happen?
how about 24k?

does the copper-gold become some kind of alloy?

The pictures was taken after I used some sandpaper to tear one down a bit…

No need to worry. Pictures are just showing what is under the super thin layer of gold plating. Its all very thin.
PilotPTK have explained why they are like that… (Thank btw).

Weight comparison with Sinkpad in post “6”.
I don’t doubt that they are nothing else than pure copper. :slight_smile: If they were the same thickness/size they would basically have been the same weight.

Metals are so weird. I think, now keep in mind this is coming from a Mythbusters-level understanding of science, that copper and gold are very atomically similar hence why they readily form alloys even in nature, though I did not know anything like that was possible while both were in their solid form and without some other outside influence (like in the presence of an electric current - galvanic corrosion, 'tin whiskers', etc. etc.).

i assumed if it was relatively pure gold that it would be soft enough that lapping is not needed, it could be compressed flat, does anyones experience go with that logic?

Likely far too thin to be conformable in that way.

if i remember wikipedia gold can be made so thin you can see through it, and appears green

A la Mask of ‘Agamemnon?’

I just got some Noctigon XP 16mm mcpcb’s in and I noticed something odd that couldn’t be seen in the pictures. The center thermal pad is lower in height slightly compared to the electrical pads. I used a straight edge placed on top of the electrical pads and I can see light coming through.

Isn’t the center thermal pad supposed to be at the same height as the electrical pads? When reflowing LED’s its usually ideal not to use too much solder paste. With this gap present a little bit more solder paste might be needed to fill the void.

Anyone else that has the XP version have this gap as well?