NOOB - Beginner Lithium Setup

Hello All!
I’d like to get my first rechargeable setup. Budget around $30 if possible. Built in charging would be nice but if it limits me please recommend the torch, battery and charger.

I’d like something to EDC in my pocket that isn’t too bulky. I have an Astrolux A01 right now, but would like more power.

I have been looking at the Convoy S2+ but am not sure with all of the options. I prefer neutral white tints.
The Eagle Eye x2r looks nice also.

For me 18650 is just a little too bulky to on-person EDC. IMHO 18650 is the perfect backpack size. 16340 is a little too specialized, since I already have hoards of eneloops and some energizer 1.7V Lithiums too. So I am comfortably at the 14500 size for on-person carry. I have a bunch of generic 14500 cells as well as purple efest IMRs. So I have a lot of power options at my disposal.
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=523&search=efest+14500
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018ATR1DG/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482338708&sr=sr-1&keywords=14500+battery

As far as 18650 goes, you should be able to do an S2+, single bay charger and a good IMR cell for around $30
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=79&product_id=177

You might also want to consider the other Convoy 18650 lights… I am thinking about getting an S6 to replace my Fenix E35-UE. I like the all knurled finish.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002364/1319307-convoy-s6-cree-xm-l2-t6-4c-886-lumen-4300-4500k-2

I like the idea of an S2+ for an EDC… there are so many colors/options to choose from. But as the other poster mentioned, an 18650 light can be bulky and not the greatest pant pocket candidate. Jacket pocket might be OK though.

I wouldn’t bother with a flashlight with a built-in charger for EDC - it just adds to the bulkiness.

I like my Olight S10R a lot. They are over the $30 mark by almost double but that includes the cell and charger dock. I find it to be a great EDC size. Sure, not as long a run time as an 18650; not even close. But small, light, bright enough on high and with moonlight plus 3 higher modes it suits me as the light that is always with me.

Presently you can find both the S10RII and S10RIII.

What about a Convoy S2+ or S1 with a 18350 tube ? Still under $30 even with the extra tube if you don’t mod it.
Carrying an S1 triple for months with the 18350 tube hanging off a carabiner. Luv it. Surprising how many times I use it at work since it’s with me. Very handy….

Not too many lights satisfy my EDC needs like the BLF A6 with 18350 tube. Small enough to carry easily, plenty of power when needed and nice mode flexibility. I think it’s now sold as the Astrolux S1Mini. I think the Opus BT-C100 seems like a high quality single-bay charger. As far as 18350 batteries, mine are all 2-3 years old so I don’t have any current recommendations but Efest is generally good. This might put you closer to $40-$50 but IMO is a very good setup.

+1 on the BLF A6 with 18350 tube, although I swapped in a triple with a H17F Dr. Jones Driver……

Eagle eye x6r. But everyone differs one edc sizes. I’ll edc a x6, c8, or a tube light. Doesn’t matter to me I like to switch it up. I don’t wear skin tight jeans so a slightly larger light doesn’t bother me x6r has built in charging. But would hurt to get a liito kala 100 charger for $4

When considering 18350 you might as well consider 14500.
Similar (even slightly more) capacity, but in a 14500 light you can also use AA (preferably NiMh because they don’t leak).
…but then you NEED protected 14500 cells, which means you’re looking for Keeppower protected 14500.
(Either the 800mAh or the 840mAh, they’re the best for the money a.f.a.i.k.).
The Jetbeam Jet I MK is the best AA / 14500 light for the money.

I was also gonna recommend the ‘DQG tiny 4th’, because it’s about the size of an AA light but runs on a 18650.
But the technical / construction design of the head’s insides is just quite terrible, so iḿ not gonna recommend it.

I would use a Nitecore Tip with 360lm, integrated charger, fits on the keychain. Nitecore TIP Winter Edition (version 2) Review
With the coupon you could buy almost two :slight_smile:

All I can recommend is the advice I was given here when new to the game: Cheap lights, but ONLY good cells and chargers

This has proven to be good advice since you’re going to buying more lights once you experience the wonders of LiIon (oh yes you will!) and you’ll save $$$ because then you already have the cells to run them on :wink:

Phil

I think the good 18650s (Panasonyosung etc) are actually cheaper than the crappy WTF-Fire 18650s (and other sizes).
You can get true 1000mAh per Dollar when you shop carefully for the Japanese brands.

I find the 18650 format much too large and heavy to EDC. At most I carry AA. My normal EDC is a AAA light such as the Tank 007 e09. Something like the Thrunite T10 (AA) with eneloop batteries is what I carry sometimes.
Jerry

Thanks all! Where is a good place to get the batteries and chargers ?

Welcome to BLF
Please read li ion safety 101 (link in my SIG)

The cool thing about the S2+ is that you can choose tints and colors
Then Simon sells lots of stuff to mod it without even need soldering
Tir lenses
18350 tube

I’d go for 6*7138 chip neutral white

Get a Liitokala li100 ($4) and nice cell ($5) at Gearbest

Ask Simon for the red Toykeeper driver very nice

Oh and last chance to just get something cr@ppy at your local hardware store, I did warn you :wink:

A good choice ay be the Jetbeam Jet-1 MK is bright with Lithium battery but can run on AA as well with reduced output but longer runtime

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_368125.html?wid=21

I opened the head and got a nice neutral white XP-G2 S3-3D in there
Or a bit warmer S4 5D2

Or an XPL HD V6
http://intl-outdoor.com/cree-xpl-v6-3d-bare-led-p-822.html

2x Keeppower battery

Charger
http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_272183.html?wid=21
Or

Does anybody have the Jetbeam JET-1 Mk on sale? It’s been mentioned a few times.

I try and stay with local (relatively speaking) retailers. Sometimes the faster shipping and customer service is worth the little extra $$. Customs is a royal PITA, and thats putting it politely.

Closest to me is illumn (formerly illumination supply). I know Craig the owner personally, having done CPF night hikes with him and helping him out with mail deliveries and stuff like that… he’s a straight shooter and a good guy. I will be buying some Nichia emitters and 7135 drivers from him soon. One thing about Craig (as a fellow hobby enthusiast) is he won’t sell anything he doesn’t strongly believe in. So manufacturers that have poor quality control don’t make it to his store.

Next would be ME in Utah. I don’t know them personally but have had detailed email exchanges with Lisa on my recent order. Same thing, straight up good business to deal with.

BJ is another fave of mine. Never had a problem buying cells from them. IIRC they are in CT.

Fasttech and Gearbest are my preferred China retailers…. in that order of preference.

Sounds good to me. Does Gearbest not carry cells?

> suppliers
I agree with kramer5150’s list, though I go to MtnElectronics first, having had much good experience buying from RMM (who participates here).

Use the Search box, upper left corner of each BLF page.