NOOB - Beginner Lithium Setup

Does anybody have the Jetbeam JET-1 Mk on sale? It’s been mentioned a few times.

I try and stay with local (relatively speaking) retailers. Sometimes the faster shipping and customer service is worth the little extra $$. Customs is a royal PITA, and thats putting it politely.

Closest to me is illumn (formerly illumination supply). I know Craig the owner personally, having done CPF night hikes with him and helping him out with mail deliveries and stuff like that… he’s a straight shooter and a good guy. I will be buying some Nichia emitters and 7135 drivers from him soon. One thing about Craig (as a fellow hobby enthusiast) is he won’t sell anything he doesn’t strongly believe in. So manufacturers that have poor quality control don’t make it to his store.

Next would be ME in Utah. I don’t know them personally but have had detailed email exchanges with Lisa on my recent order. Same thing, straight up good business to deal with.

BJ is another fave of mine. Never had a problem buying cells from them. IIRC they are in CT.

Fasttech and Gearbest are my preferred China retailers…. in that order of preference.

Sounds good to me. Does Gearbest not carry cells?

> suppliers
I agree with kramer5150’s list, though I go to MtnElectronics first, having had much good experience buying from RMM (who participates here).

Use the Search box, upper left corner of each BLF page.

The easiest, safest, and simplest rechargeable setup is to get an Eneloop kit at Costco. 18650 is too bulky for EDC, but you can get away with AA sized lights. 1xAA lights, run on a NiMH cell (like Eneloop), can put out 500 lumens nowadays, so there’s not much point in going with 14500 lithium-ion cells (which only have the same energy storage as a AA NiMH cell).

If you really want to use lithium-ion, you may as well go for 18650 cells, and buy a light that will put out 1000 lumens. Something like the Zebralight SC63 is about as small a 18650 light as you will find. Probably not quite EDC size, if you’re used to an AAA light like the Astrolux A01, but maybe you’ll find it okay.

And http://liionwholesale.com (out of Pa)
http://imrbatteries.com (out of Tx)

No need for someone living in the US to buy cells from china and wait a month to get them just to save 1 or 2 dollars.

I did reflow yesterday a Nichia 219C D240 4000K in my Jetbeam Jet-1 MK

Its not as bright but color rendering is a lot better, even if the 5D2 was not too bad and had a bit more pleasant white

This is with old LED from Cree I could send this one if someone wants it

Unrelated, but does anyone know where I can get orings for the Astrolux A01?
Lowes and HD don’t have anything that I can find.

Never thought about spare orings in many lights a set is supplied

A good supply for flashlights of many sizes

You can find such sets in most home depots

Yeah, but except for the odd birds in the LA warehouse, expect to get raped on shipping, sometimes more than the cost of the cells themselves.

Dunno why people don’t like 18650s for EDC, but I keep a holstered ’502 and deep-pocket-carry S2+ with me most times.

Tubelights are easy to slip into a pocket, nothing to grab and make rips, no bulbous head, nothing. The main reason I only occasionally carry the S2+ vs always for the ’502 is because the S2+ is very floody, and I’m usually needing more throw.

I’d carry an 18350 S2+ shorty only if I had a spare cell somewhere within reach.

Review Nitenumen NE01 updated Version by daninho.

Cheers ^:)

The light I find myself reaching for 9 out of 10 times in the Manker E-14 with the Nichia 219B LEDs.

Typical daily use I use it in the original short configuration with 18350 batteries. During the hunting season when I want longer run times I switch over to the extension tube and use a Q30 18650 batterie.

Bob

When I need a light, chances are that it will be an 18650 powered one that I use. But it’s not EDC for me because of my work, lifestyle, and it’s size (diameter) and weight. Even a slender AA/14500 would be pushing the limits for me (but I may go there if I find the “right” light :wink: ). An AAA/10180 is my EDC because it’s enough for that purpose (but just barely sometimes). My only carry option is in-pocket; even an exposed pocket clip could get me into deep doodoo scratching things and a holster would snag and get in they way of going through the places I go. Anything large in-pocket would wear through or tear up my pockets and be uncomfortable in my work. For me and many others 18650 just isn’t an option for my EDC. My solution is to have my 18650 lights close enough to grab when I need them :sunglasses:

To each their own according to their needs, and if you can EDC an 18650 it will be a very good choice indeed.

Phil

Sorry, I can’t help you here.

I wish they made the E14 with a 14500 body tube. That would be a killer little light.

Admittedly my 14500 preference is based on my experiences with a Fenix E35 UE 18650 and a 6P bored for 18650. Great lights, but they are heavy and a bit bulky. While I can make either one work, small and light remains a slight preference. I’d like to try a convoy S6. I’ll probably get one soon.

I’d be okay with an AA FF (any: Li, NiMH, alkie) in a modded Maglite 2×AA but chopped to a single AA. Only problem is, mods I’ve seen look pretty nasty, chopped right in the middle of the knurling, etc., that they look chopped down.

A single AA, a boost converter, a nice efficient XM-L2, TIR lens of your choice (spot to flood), and you got a killer EDC with modest light output but loads of runtime. Nice sleek design of the Mag, it’d be a nice carry.

Sooooo, that’s probably not gonna happen, so a 2×AA it is. Prob alkies with a boost converter, else find some buck reg that’d chop down 2 Li cells to light an XM-L2, again, your choice of TIRs. Or maybe a floody 3-up with 219s. Dunno, maybe 1 of each. :smiley:

’oogle: cutdown AA Mag
https://www.google.com/search?q=cutdown+AA+Mag
and then click for image results to find them, e.g.:

Nah. It’s too “busy”…

I like simple and clean, even sleek. “Flashlight bling” does nothing for me.

— more —

Goggled this

which looks lots nicer. My only complaint is that (again), the knurling either goes right up to the tailcap, or gets pulled in under the head. You really gotta work both ends to get the knurling centered on the visible part of the barrel.

Same thread, a little farther down, lookit the black Minimag, and all those rings cut into it. Like, stop it, people! Probably sharp as Hell on the edges, and they’re just garish.

Different strokes for different folks, and all, but yecch!