Noob Questions

Hi Phil, Thanks for the info and welcome!

[quote=keengeorge]

[quote=BoxCarWillie]

So do you think I should order the 8x over the 6x?

I also see that there are (5) emitting colors. Any recommendation on which color? I do like a really clean pure white color, not bluish tints!

[quote=BoxCarWillie]

[quote=keengeorge]

Yes, I would get the 8x so as to have a higher output when needed, & when not needed then always have the lower modes available.

Yes, there are 5 tints available. I prefer a tint around 4000K to 5000K (easier on my eyes). Usually around 5000K is considered Neutral White. And around 6500-7000K is Cool White.

Get a few S2+ with different tints, & you will find out the one(s) you prefer. That's what I did originally.

PS:

My favourite tint for the XP-L & XM-L LEDs is 5A

PS2:

Have a look at

Cree Chromaticity chart with tint bins: Ansi-white.jpg | Flashlight Wiki

http://flashlightwiki.com/File:Ansi-white.jpg

I would suggest to choose A or D (not B or C) color bins, they have less green and more red.
Cree tends to have a greenish tint (in my experience) so i avoid B and C.

…now where was that helpful chart again…

here it is:

from this topic: LEDs & Other Stuff - (Reference Guide)

[quote=keengeorge]

[quote=BoxCarWillie]

OK, Thanks George! By the way, I’ve noticed that the shipping options are ePacket, China and HongKong Post, and of course the retarded DHL price of around $80 to ship a flashlight! :rage: Would this ePacket shipping method be OK?

Oh cool! Thanks Jerommel!!!

Now I am a little confused! You say you like the XP-L & XM-L LEDs is 5A, but I do not see a 5A for this light:

I see they have the colors in these values:

XML2 U2-1A 6500-7000K
XML2 T6-3B 5000-5200K
XML2 T6-4C 4300-4500K
XML2 T5-5B 4000-4200K
XML2 T4-7A 3000-3200K

And then I notice these body colors: 7135x3 7135x4 7135x6 7135x8

Perhaps this is an error, or I am missing something here! :person_facepalming:

(1). 7135×3 7135×4 7135×6 7135×8 refer to the Driver & give its maximum current output & resulting Lumen output. NOT body colors.

(2). Currently Convoy is not offering a 5A tint. You will have to use his pictures combined with the Cree Chromacity Chart to decide which tint you want.

(3). FYI: XML2 T6-3B 5000-5200K specifies an XM-L2 LED, with a T6 bin, & a 3B tint 5000-5200K

U2 is a higher Bin than T6, T5, & T4 Bins. The higher the bin the slightly higher the Lumen output for the same current.

(4). Buy a few different tints & you will find out your preference.

PS:

If you want Neutral White, the best of what is available, is probably the XML2 T6-3B 5000-5200K or the XML2 T6-4C 4300-4500K

[quote=BoxCarWillie]

[quote=keengeorge]

I don't know where you are, but usually ePacket can be slightly faster than China & HK Post, & is a good choice.

DHL Express is the fastest.

Looking at the flashlights from the left side, I like the second and fourth white colors. Would these colors be the same as what is shown on the Convoy site if you scroll down a little on this page: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-Convoy-S2-Black-Cree-XML2-U2-1A-AMC7135-3-2-Group-3-5-Mode/330416_1614309086.html

I’m also considering purchasing this flashlight as well: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Convoy-c8-strong-light-flashlight-cree-xml-u2-t6-torchy/330416_826040641.html

If I were to go with the XML2 U2-1A, will this be a really white color with no bluish/greenish color?

I understand now how the 7135x8 works, but now I see all of these modes that I have to choose from. Can somebody recommend or tell me how these modes work? Thanks in advanced!

Willie

Modes are probably easier on the convoys than most other budget single switch lights.

You get a choice of 3 or 5 modes. 3 is low-medium-high that you simply cycle through. 5 is l-m-h + strobe and SOS.

You choose by cycling to low, after about 5 seconds the light will dim then return to low click the button during the “dim” to change from 3 to 5 or 5 to 3.

PS - can’t really go wrong with S2+ or C8, most of us have multiples of each.

PPS - Welcome :slight_smile:

OK, Thanks! I see now how the group and modes work now. I imagine I will order these flashlights with the most groups for extra mode options. I wonder why the U2/1A is cheaper than the other emitting colors? I just want a really pure white color and was told not to get the B and C type as they have some greenish tint?

I have also messaged this Simon guy, but have yet to hear back from him! :frowning:

I quite like the 3A color personally.
Not too cold white, more neutral.
But i have a XP-L HI in my latest Convoy C8

OK, so if I order one new model Convoy C8 from BangGood, what emitter should I go with and also what reflector? They have 6 designs to choose from! Thanks!

I think I will try and get the host for these Convoy lights, and complete them myself! Here is the link for the S2+ host:

Can somebody advise me what driver and emitter would work well for this flashlight? I was thinking along the lines of perhaps this driver in a 7135x6:

Would this driver work in both the S2+ and the new C8?

I would also like to purchase the C8 host, but I don’t see the emitters to purchase on banggood website

That driver will work with both the S2+ and C8 hosts linked above.

Thanks! Can you help me choose a driver and led emitter from the following link. I want to order the S2 with green clicky, the S2+ along with the C8 and L6 flashlights. I am guessing that these drivers will work with all except the L6? I am also assuming that I will need to order some copper plates for each light along with the emitters? Thanks again for the help!

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/LED-Driver/330416_254401905.html