Not another thread asking for a 1*18650 recommendation

Small time lurker, first time poster here (apologies for my 1st post being a new thread and containing a question at that!).

I'm looking to get my first 18650 light and it appears I'm in need of some guidance. I've read through a lot of threads and while that did answer many questions I had, it also raised quite a few I hadn't realized needed asking. I'll attempt to be short and concise:

What I need:

• simple to take apart and put back together (I need this for... educational purposes. >_>)
  • modular (when I get a different light, I want at least some parts to be interchangeable)

[the aforementioned are kind of pushing me towards a P60 clone]

• somewhat compact (I won't carry it in my pocket all the time (is that a flashlight in your pocket or are you just happy to see me), so it doesn't HAVE to be tiny)
  • goes well with an unprotected Panny 3400mAh
  • 3-mode
  • is assembled or can be assembled by a rookie (soldering a driver to a star is within my abilities though)
  • decent flood (usable spill)
  • NW or slightly warmish
  • shipping to Europe

What I want (but don't necessarily need):

• XM-L2 (it'd be a crime to buy a brand new light with an outdated emitter)
  • support for other battery configurations
  • extendable body
  • AG glass
  • forward clickie
  • <$25
  • quality machining (not TOO fussed about finish, scratches, grease etc)

What I don't need:

• crazy throw
  • tactical design
  • blinky modes
  • super-low low
  • a brand new light (if there's some higher end light I have a good chance of getting for <$30 used, then shout out and I'll keep an eye out for it)

Here's some ideas I've come up with so far:

• Solarforce L2N XM-L2 U2 [~$30 shipped] (is there a 3-mode drop-in available anywhere besides the Solarforce site? The host is $15)
  • Convoy s4 [~$15 for host] (I like the design, but can this thing dissipate the heat of an XM-L2? Can fallback to XM-L)
  • something similar from KD, lightmail, etc.

So I guess what I wan't to hear are some comments, opinions comparisons, alternatives aka general discussion. I see that Solarforce has ever decreasing popularity due to slips in QC? Maybe there are some great deals on the cheaper TF, KD or Convoy lights floating around?

Wow, so much for short and concise. I apologize for any overcooked meals while reading this.

assembling diy hosts is pretty simple if you can solder tbh, there are plenty available and driver choice will dictate cell compatibility as much as host.

P60’s do tick all the boxes you mention, they are both easy to lego and bare pills are available and simple to assemble, my big problem with p60’s is their poor heat handling, not good for new hot rod emitters.

You might not like this suggestion but how about a p60 for educational purposes and a nice diy host for yourself, can I point you at this thread.

its a dammed good p60 sized host that does give you options depending on driver choice and builds a real nice light, I’ve been carrying it since I built it and will be changing a couple of bits this month, namely using a qlite driver from intloutdoor and a hi cri xm-l2 on copper, I would also suggest looking at the t10 host from intloutdoor but use a qlite and copper mounted xp-g2, I am told this builds a brilliant light and will be finding out soon.

This is the newest P60 we all ordered :slight_smile: intl-outdoor.com/xml2-p60-dropin-module-alxm2-p-740.html

Thanks for the ideas. Just ordered the cheap-ass UF C8 for tinkering (will do a driver swap and see how it plays out after that).

Maybe some ideas what parts to get for some swapping action? nanjg? lens? reflector? switch? emitters?

As for the P60, I wonder how the IO drop-in compares to the one from solarforce. The latter has a really poor description.

Really tempted to get an L2N host ($14.99 shipped) + IO XM-L2 drop-in ($16.71) now. Are there any alternatives with better value?

Sounds good. I’d order a reverse clicky switch (just in case you change your mind about the forward) with the SF and get one of the NW colors in the dropin.

Convoy s6 with a neutral xml

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1618/10002463/1278500-x-power-118650-edc-led-flashlight-host 10$

xml 4c from fasttech

and a Qlite driver from international outdoors

total ....less than 20$

or just buy it already built .

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002364/1311511-convoy-s4-cree-xm-l-t6-4c-886-lumen-2-group-35-mod

I have lots of P-60 lights and almost never use them .

JacktheClipper likes this ^

If you need a new lighting device

You can get one at just the right price

Boaz is the guy

who tells you what to buy

And he always has good sound advice

C8 is a lot throwier than P60. If you want quality, get an L2P and just build your own dropin. Its easier and cheaper than buying assembled.

For pocket carry, I second Boaz' recommendation. P60s dont feel good. ;)

XinTD!

Well he started that he won’t be carrying it in his pocket all the time, so he should still get the P60. It’s a great format which allows mix and match and replacing certain parts of the body is so upgrading it is super easy.

As for the thermal path on P60 lights. Get a Coca-Cola or beer can and cut into strips to wrap around the dropin so you have a tight fit with the host, now the whole light is a heat sink. For the amount of light, size, weight, and battery time a P60 is hard to beat.

Good idea, since I don't have much experience with different switches. Is IO the preferred source for those?

Also, is the 3C on XM-L2 warm enough for comfortable illumination?

Even though I don't particularly care for the s6, the compact form factor does intrigue me. I'll see if I can find a nicer compact host, maybe the s4 I mentioned earlier.

So basically I have to solder the driver to the pcb with the led (through the pill) and that's it? Any gluing involved?

How would I go about building a drop in? Is it just as straightforward as building the pill for the Convoy type lights? What about the reflector and spring? How is it all held together?

Also, is the L2P somehow superior to the other L2X hosts?

I actually have a roll of aluminium tape (or whatever a roll of aluminium strip is called) so I won't have to subject myself to drinking coke.

While we're on the subject I'm actually surprised I've never seen any commercial solutions for this (an aluminum part that fits snug inside the head and encompasses the drop-in. Coupled with thermal paste this would provide all the heat transfer you could ever need.

For extendable body, to reduce possibility of color mismatch, Solarforce have this:
Solarforce L2 with ext..

According to them L2P is better implicitly, with HAIII.

I prefer IO drop-in for their options, unless you prefer Solarforce 3 modes (100-60-10)

[/quote]

Get the switch direct from SF:
reverse clicky

Just my opinion, but 3C (4750-5000K) is a very likeable tint.

P60 sounds like what you need. Their modular design is fun. I vote for Solarforce L2m. As a shorty you can run 18350 or 16340 / cr123a… as well as 18650 when extended/full. Its very versatile.

The ALXM drop-in is very good. I have one and like it a lot. 3C is a good neutral white. 4C would be better NW in my opinion, but it’ll due. Hell, ideally I would like a warm option… but that’s me…

I prefer fwd clickies with momentary on. I like previewing modes with a half click, then locking in which one I want by clicking the rest of the way “on”. But that’s purely personal preference. Its not like I don’t have rev clickie switch lights too.

If you like that drop-in… the XinTD C8 from IO (someone linked above) with the same XML2 3C is even better! (There is a warmer 5B tint option too.) P60s are great, but not the prettiest beam. The XinTD has a smooth reflector, but the beam is still quite clean. Brighter and nicer beam than the P60.

P60 and C8 are both great platforms to start out with. Common. Lots of parts availability. Easy to build. Many options. Affordable.

You can get the Solarforce and a Thrunite 3 mode drop-in (I currently use this configuration as EDC).

Not sure I want to jump on the extender right away. Besides I don't like the L2 all that much and it's not available in gray.

[quote=Calmaja] According to them L2P is better implicitly, with HAIII. [/quote]

Thanks for pointing this out. Hmm, I'll have to think about this.

[quote=Calmaja] I prefer IO drop-in for their options, unless you prefer Solarforce 3 modes (100-60-10) [/quote]

I'm fine with the modes, not sure about the tints though. I mean how warm can you get with an U2? I want at least 3C.

Yeah, they're cheaper than IO too. I'll get whichever doesn't come with the host (forward/backward) so I have both.

I'd jump on such modularity right away if not for the looks. I will consider it though.

[quote=Haterade] 3C is a good neutral white. 4C would be better NW in my opinion, but it'll due. Hell, ideally I would like a warm option... but that's me... [/quote]

Yeah, I'll get the warmest one if I end up getting a ready made drop-in.

[quote=Haterade] I prefer fwd clickies with momentary on. I like previewing modes with a half click, then locking in which one I want by clicking the rest of the way "on". But that's purely personal preference. Its not like I don't have rev clickie switch lights too. [/quote]

I'll get both switches so I can... switch them out.

[quote=Haterade] If you like that drop-in... the XinTD C8 from IO (someone linked above) with the same XML2 3C is even better! (There is a warmer 5B tint option too.) [/quote]

I already have the cheapo UF C8 en-route so I can play around with that too. Should I get an XM-L2 on a 20mm PCB and the Qlite driver for that one?

[quote=Haterade] P60s are great, but not the prettiest beam. The XinTD has a smooth reflector, but the beam is still quite clean. Brighter and nicer beam than the P60. [/quote]

Surely there must be different reflectors for the P60. They can't all be bad. Or are they?

[quote=Haterade] P60 and C8 are both great platforms to start out with. Common. Lots of parts availability. Easy to build. Many options. Affordable. [/quote]

Exactly.

One more thing though

I'd like some more info on this. I assume I'd need a donor drop-in for the pill+reflector+spring for this and replace the led (and driver, if necessary). Correct?

you can buy empty drop ins at just about anywhere with either smooth or OP reflectors.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1605/10002206/1164600

for example

though that one looks to have a horrid smooth reflector

Wow, in this case I'll totally be making my own.

Yeah, from the picture it does look... interesting. Where do you guys get yours?

I got my last empty dropins from Kaidomain and Illumination Supply. But they are all about the same. Its pretty much the easiest way of DIY, besides C8 and Convoy lights.

L2P are the best P60 hosts imo. Build quality is a lot better than all the other L2x..