O-L's Beam shot thread, Or BS thread! - Or, some mods to come, with before and after beam shots. UPDATED 03/17/15

I will update the site with details, and some beamshots. The reality as Oldlumens notes is not the pattern of faceting on the reflectors, although not totally insignificant is the the size and depth of the reflector, this makes all the difference with regard to removing cross hairs

Also have to eliminate the dark donut hole. While the faceting can do that in some, texture such as orange peel can also go a long way towards removing that. Size isn’t so much the function in this regard as pattern/texture is. I have a Ledil Winnie-M in 35mm that does really well, a stock orange peel C8 reflector with an XHP-50 also works well. This big diamond patterned LUM 5-90 does a fantastic job, removing the donut hole that the big stock mirror finish reflector didn’t do.

It would also seem that the ability to get the base of the reflector below the die can be a big attribute towards achieving a more desireable beam profile.

Optics seem to have issues with the multi-die, but I’m sure there’s one (at least) out there that works well. :slight_smile: Let’s find it! lol

The 1D Maglite is finished and is using a Mirella reflector. I did a test with four of the Mirella line, in post #3.

You answered my question . As I was scrolling through your shots I was wondering if the second reflector was slightly better than the first? So ribs without ripples seems to be the way to go?

Your not in the wifes good books at the moment. Just when the enthusiasm for lights is waning you come along with lots of new testing and ideas that gets the enthusiasm flowing through the veins again. I'd suggest that if you planned to drop in at any stage dont.

The vertical ribs and smooth finish had the best spot, but I will do some beam shots outside tonight, to show that reflector. You might want to wait till you see them.

Tell your wife I love her dearly, but I won't be stopping by any time soon. Tell her it's a man thing and a flashlight thing and she already knows men are hopeless..., since she's still married to you all these years, she must know.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/32077#comment-727663

Outdoor beam shots with the Ledil Mirella.

Is this the reflector you used?
C12480_MIRELLA-50-S-PIN

Is it my imagination or have the roles been reversed here being the first reflector looks better outside?

I only did one reflector outside. The one that had the best looking beam inside.

No, the C12476_MIRELLA-50-S is the one I liked the best.

http://www.ledil.com/node/2/p/14754

Beautiful beam shots and modding, O-L! That facility is a perfect place to take the pics. I wish I had something even remotely similar here to use. Just awesome!

I was also amazed just how unimpressive the big EL light is stock. The stock BTU Shocker destroys it not only in total output (as expected) but inihilates it in throw (unexpected). I know they were the king of throwers back in the day but damn, that's a whole lot of flashlight for not a whole lot of performance.

I was also stunned at the Cooly. I've seen them before and they are really nice for P60 hosts but my god the beam on that is amazingly tight. Wow!

Well, I should have clarified and now I will. The ST90 was not stock. It had an XM-L2 led in it instead of the SST-90 and that mod wasn’t the greatest, so it was very weak. I will add that info to the first post.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/32077#comment-727663

Beam shots of the 1D Modded Mag and the EL Black EDC are in post #3.