Oh God.

Ah… reminds me of the time I destroyed the driver from my Jetbeam RRT-01.

The RRT-01 is a variable magnetic ring flashlight with a very unusual driver. The driver is a 2-piece sandwich. The LED leads are tiny wires that decend through tiny holes in the upper layer of the sandwich where they are soldered to the inner layer of the bottom sandwich.

If you break those wires, it’s basically impossible to recover the driver. No way can you fit a soldering iron in there to solder on replacement wires.

First time I took apart the light I didn’t realize I needed to desolder and remove the driver before unscrewing the 2 pieces of the head around the magnetic ring. Driver wires torqued and broke. Result: Driver destroyed and light useless.

Hey Enelooper, that’s awfully nice of you to do! Judging from the posts below it looks like I may have missed out on these as they’re all spoken for. I’ve seen the MT-G2s on fasttech for $8 so I think I will get a couple from there.

The good news is that I/O has these on sale for $9.

Yes, good price and it was delivered last week.

Oh hello.

Guys. the Klarus G30 has a working voltage of 7.5V - 12.6V. On the Cree website, it states the MT-G2 comes in 3 options, 6V, 9V and 36V. With the former in mind, is the 6V the most appropriate for the G30? Forgive the questions, still learning here!

I’d go with the 36v
:disappointed:
jk. I’d be 99.999% positive they used a 6v. The 9v is pretty rare I think.

So that’s not a sunny side up egg. Hrmmm…

I love the taste of sinkpads in the morning, far better then napalm :smiley:

Threadneedle, my post #18 was about you. Enelooper is gonna send me one of the headlights, and I’m gonna see what it takes to remove the MT-G2 and send it to you. That is, if you want it. :wink:

Oh I see, forgive my oversight! I would sincerely appreciate that, if you wouldn’t mind too much. I’d of course PayPal you the postage :slight_smile:

According to the USPS International Postage Price Calculator, it should only cost a few dollars. I should be able to handle that. But if there are any surprises, I’ll let you know.

To London UK, yea? That’s pretty good. I thought it would be more! Thanks for this and also to Enelooper for your assistance. Hit me up via PM for my address when you need it :slight_smile:

This really is such an amazing forum.

Well, I’m assuming a letter envelope, and paying ~0.40USD extra for it not being flat. Like I said, I’ll let you know if there are any surprises. If the shipping price goes much higher (like, if they won’t let me use a regular envelope), you’d be better off buying a new one from IOS or wherever anyway. You can PM me your address anytime at your convenience. I won’t really need it until I’m ready to ship the MT-G2 to you, but it won’t hurt to have it. :slight_smile:

Enelooper was kind enough to send me one of his car headlights to salvage the MT-G2 emitters from. Ignore the aspheric, it’s just holding up the headlight for the photo.

I was able to remove the MT-G2 emitters without too much trouble. First I parted the emitters from the heatsink.

With the emitters parted off it made it easy to get some heat behind them. I took my time with short bursts of heat to bring the heat up evenly.

With just a light push of a screwdriver, they slid right off.

Just that easy :sunglasses: two MT-G’s to play with. :wink:

Now for the BONUS and no doubt some of you saw this coming. I now have a nice little fan cooled heat sink to test LED’s on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Enelooper was kind enough to send the headlight to me free of charge. I already have a LED test stand and would like this to go to somebody else free of charge. The catch is, you have to be nominated. If you know someone who could use this, nominate them. If you want it, Pm a friend to nominate you. This is a pretty minor gift so let’s keep it small. After 3 nominations I’ll do a quick drawing and contact the winner for their address.
One last catch, it would cost to much to ship outside of US so CONUS only, sorry.

The second hand store may have a 12v transformer to drive the fan. If I can find one , I will splice it in. I can also drill and tap for star hold down screws also. I’m open to suggestions on hold down screw pitch and spacing.

That’s pretty cool. Is there a sensor in there, or does the fan always run while the lights are on? Just curious.

I could definitely visualize you doing this…

Sorry for your loss, hope you make it better than before…

No sensor, the fan runs 100% of the time.

Re: heatsink and fan Depending on the size a radial fan from a video card might work even better.