Oh God.

Wow! Killforfood, I just got the other headlight from Enelooper today in the mail. I was trying to figure out how to get the LEDs off, but hadn’t had time to do anything with it yet. I was figuring on cutting/boring out the rivets that hold the MCPCBs to the stem, to get them off intact. Can you get your DMM out and tell whether the MCPCBs are direct thermal path? If they aren’t, then I might not care to keep them anyway.

Not a problem but give me a couple hours to get home and check.

What kind of car uses these ? is it an aftermarket headlamp ?
Hey killfor can you add a pic with something common so we can get an idea what size the heatsink is etc …maybe a ruler :slight_smile:

gotta love all the love being shown here …

they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony

The MCPCB is Not direct thermal path.

Well, Killforfood, I don’t know if you’ve tested the LEDs themselves. I just finished testing mine. They don’t light up at 6 volts… or 9 volts… or even 16 volts… I finally got brave and hooked up a 120v in 36v out driver board - and got light! These are 36v MT-G2s!!!

Boaz, these are aftermarket bulbs. (or at least I know you can buy them aftermarket on eBay and probably tons of other places.) The entire bulb, from tip to tail is ~77mm long, and at the widest part, the heatsink, it is ~50cm wide. On the stem are two 36v MT-G2 LEDs of unknown bin. I suppose there must have been a boost driver that came with the set, since cars obviously don’t run at 36v!

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot. Thanks again to Enelooper for giving away these bulbs, and thanks Killforfood for all your pics and for testing the MCPCB.

These were Eneloops so he would know what car They were for. I don’t have it in front of me but I recall an HB3 (Could of been HB5?) tag on the power cord. HB3’s fit a lot of different models. Were they OEM? Aftermarket? No clue.

The heat sink is fairly small. It would not be suitable for high amps or large MCPCB’s. At the moment I can only take a picture of the MCPCB end that I parted off. It’s 19mm. I placed a 16mm MCPCB on it for the picture.

Those are 9005 aftermarket bulbs. They fit a lot of different cars. In my car, they ran at low power as daytime running lights, and they also serve as high beam.

OUCH* that poor beautiful MT-G2!

Killforfood, if the top of the sink is 19mm, I wouldn’t be afraid to put a large MCPCB on it for testing purposes. Remember that it’s the LED that makes the heat, not the MCPCB. The heat would go down into the heatsink faster than it would go out to the edge of the MCPCB, most likely. Even a DTP triple or quad would probably work well at low to mid current, with the fan running. If the engineer that designed it thought it would be okay in possible high summer heat, inside a grill/hood of a car, running two MT-G2 emitters, it should do fine for testing LEDs in the much friendlier environment that the testing is likely to be done in.

There’s a quote for a signature block… :smiling_imp:

:person_facepalming:

[quote=keltex78]

Tacoma Narrows comes to mind.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse

I found a12V power supply for the LED test stand. I spliced the wires and it’s ready to go. I’m thinking I should give it its own giveaway thread. How would you guys suggest I should set it up? I’ve not done one of these before. The idea of nominating somebody doesn’t seem to have worked. Do I just give it to the first person that says I’ll take it or do a drawing?

Shown with 14mm MCPCB

Just a regular giveaway should work fine. Do a random.org drawing to choose the winner.

I thought more like

nooooooo!!!

It was a combination of all of the above but it was initially this :-

Giveaway thread is here,

LED Test Stand Giveaway

Now I can stop hi-jacking threadneedles thread.

Hey, Threadneedle! PM me your address if you still want me to send you a MT-G2 on 25mm Noctigon. Sorry I haven’t got around to it yet. Car trouble and stuff. :person_facepalming:

Just replied to you bro, and no need to apologise. I appreciate what you’re doing for me :slight_smile:

Thanks David, I came back from holiday and saw the emitter waiting for me on my doorstep. I’m going to solder this to the G30 as soon as I get time. Thanks again everyone!