ok, I'm really HATING Anduril at the moment!

I am with you, I hate it so much

I agree with most of what has been said here. I like Anduril , but it is way too complex to remember. 90% of it I never use, or have any use for at all.

A lot of Anduril has been developed by ‘fanatics’ suggestions - I don’t mean that in an insulting way, or anything of the sort - please don’t take it as such it’s the best word I could find. You only have to look at the development threads to see what I mean.
It is not the ‘general’ users here that debate the functions and features, it is the people who ‘fascinate’ over it. There is nothing wrong with that btw, it’s an interest they have, just like I have an interest inflashlights but they are way more into it.

The majority of regular users (in the world, not on here) I’d imagine just want it to work as a flashlight and like the ramping feature. The rest of it is of no interest other than a quick play when you first get it - the people who fascinate over a thousand different settings and features are in the minority I believe - but because they are the ones that fill and debate in the development threads, it’s their ideas that fuel it this over complicated but fantastic firmware. again, this is fine if you are ‘into it’ to the same level.

Attention seems to be focussed on ‘muggle mode’ as a safer mode - truth is a muggle should not have an Anduril light. Simple as that in my opinion.
I’d liken it to pc operating systems on a pc - most regular people use a version of windows and know enough to use it everyday without issues, then the slightly more ‘into it’ or fanatical may use for example a particular linux release, then the even more ‘into it’ use something else again and so on - if I used that I’d mess it up in seconds - just like Anduril if I started messing with it (which I don’t for that reason).

Rather than a muggle mode - maybe lose that altogether and have a ‘simple’ mode , not restricted, but just ramp up, ramp down and double click turbo as it is now - nothing else. No blinkie stuff in this mode, or anything else.
To me that would be a far better ‘mode’ than muggle. I think muggle was developed so that the manufacturers could sell to muggles and they could be gifted to muggles - not something I’d do, or recommend.

Is there a way there could be 2 modes - PRO (all bells and whistles) and SIMPLE (just the basic ramping and turbo) but instead of clicks have a tiny switch on the back of the driver, or tailcap that could be ‘hard’ flicked with a little screwdriver or something? so eliminating this accidental messing up?

Try again :wink: Works for me

Anduril 2 is harder to F up.

That would work for me.

(I don't use any of the other options.)

That’s a pretty good idea! All the basic functions, full (or near full) brightness but no extra crap- if the end user chooses.

Haha, made ya look… :smiling_imp:

That's the idea behind Anduril2, but TK called them Simple and Advanced. The only thing though is Simple also means no turbo, so simpler UI but also no high amps.

Absolutely. It kills me that I can’t find an original SC31 anywhere anymore. Not a ’B, certainly not a ’pro, just the plain vanilla original SC31 as was supposed to be the perfect light for The Muggle.

I wanted to gift the gf a good around-the-house light, as she really likes the onboard charging of the S11C, but Hell if I can find one of the originals.

Good thing I still got a couple still NIB that I can give, if/when I ever find ’em. :person_facepalming:

But something like that — a great simple utilitarian light that won’t set your pants or house on fire with a simple and use-without-reading-the-manual UI — is a MUCH-NEEDED niche in the flashlight world.

Problem is, any light that starts out as a simple utilitarian minivan that even your gramma can immediately hop into and tootle around town, usually undergoes a few revisions ’til it’s a nitromethane-powered dragster that only pro racers can drive.

so, is the problem Anduril, or the switch being too sensitive?

I recall FW3a had a big fuss about the button nubbin

is that what is going on here too, w the KR1, is the switch too sensitive, and if so, what is the fix, another nubbindectomy?

and what about the D4, does it have the issues with burning holes in people too?

is it anduril, or is it the switch sensitivity?

is this like carrying a loaded gun with the safety off and a hair trigger?

I think things that can put holes in people should have a safety engaged when floating around in a pocket.

Both. Perfect storm of a twitchy switch, and too easily mangling a light’s settings with errant clicks’n’holds.

You’d have to click the hell out of a bistro light before it’d get into programming mode, let alone mangling the settings while it’s “buzzing”.

Other lights with “dumb” interfaces, you might find it turned on in your pocket, but there won’t be any config modes to mangle in the first place.

I can’t even remember how to go configging a light with narsim, so I imagine it wouldn’t be easy to do with random in-pocket clicks’n’holds.

But andy? Like it or not, it’s a UI minefield as far as limited-number clicks’n’holds to do all sorts of random things. Sneaking into candle mode, eh, not so bad. Screwing with manual/auto memory, though? When it happened to me, I was all, “Wtf?!?”, that it was “stuck” on one level and didn’t remember what brightness I just had seconds ago when I shut it off, and I had to look up what that was.

And (yet) again, imagine The Muggle getting blindsided with something like that. It stops behaving as it always did, and now it’s “broken”.

It’s clear to me what the issue is - the switch button just pokes out too proud, probably to accommodate that trit vial (form over function) - remove 3 - 4mm from the button and it wouldn’t happen half so easily I’d bet. It’s just too close to the tail of the light, the fw series is the same, and it’s why the same thing happens in trouser pockets. If they increased that angle slightly, and dropped the button back 3mm it would be much harder to switch on by accident - bad design on both. I’m not saying it would be impossible to trigger it in a pocket, but it would be harder, a lot harder.

I agree… that is why the D4 got a raised bezel

imo Turbo Power needs to have a safety engaged, when not in use.

Hello :slight_smile: i just noticed there is a Lumintop EDC18L (for “light”) on Amazon… with a simplified UI. Theres a simplified FW3E as well - FW3EL. They are both on sale at the moment and come with a green glow gasket installed, a nice touch. Could be a good muggle gift :slight_smile:

Probably long press for off. Hate that.

Oh yes, that’s true. Disregard my last post. Lol. Too many lights!

I find it easy enough to put it in lockout mode I mean a simple 4 clicks to engage it and 4 clicks to unlock, I mean its used as a general EDC its not meant to be a “tactical” defensive tool… and its a hot rod light in general not considering safety protocols is just asking for trouble, I mean hell pretty sure we are all part of the burnt pocket club at one point ! We live and we learn and move on.

I am not sure why no one has developed a DSP chip for flashlights that can be easily programmed from a computer. DSP has been around since the 80’s, it must be cheap enough by now to makes sense for lights. A one button controlled Andrul interface aint gonna cut it going forward. Andrul can and will be remembered as a “stepping stone” technology.

Clip is on the Int’l Outdoor site as a KR4 clip.

I assume they know of the issue with the KR4 and attempted to rectify it. https://intl-outdoor.com/components-6/gears/new-pocket-clip-for-kr4-flashlight.html

I’m just glad I didn’t buy the KR4 as well, as I assume I’d have the same issue with it.

The lights are good, but such an issue makes them sadly unusable for me.

Which would completely suck. Why would anyone want such a setup. It’d be like buying an automatic car because a manual is too complex. But the automatic only allows 80% of the max acceleration.