Old Lumens Flashlight Challenge 2019 - Final Results

Main reason I dont like imperial tape measures is because using them for work just makes things difficult because the increments need to be on both sides. It is funny how things are unconsciously converted because some thing are still imperial 1200x2400 sheet of ply is still 4’x6’. Altitude in aviation is expressed in feet but meters when it comes to climbing. I only learnt metric but had to learn imperial in my very first job in a blacksmith/spring shop and my best friend, these.

4’ x 8’? :stuck_out_tongue:

:person_facepalming: haha 1200x1800?

^ That’s a perfect example of the mistakes that happen when you can’t properly visualize the measurements you are working with. You lose your sanity check and errors slip by.

Yeah, it doesn’t help either when certain materials still come in Imperial (or visa versa). I think wood sheets especially seem to come in Imperial, as well as normal stuff, oddly they do come in Meters as well!
I don’t anyone entirely embraces either system :person_facepalming: that is part of the problem when not committing either way .

Changing from imperial to metric makes a lot of sense if along with the change of the system you adjust sizes of the containers to make calculations and thinking about them easier. Changing from a US quart (0.95 litre) to a 1 litre container rather than just relabeling the US quart to be 946 ml makes a lot of sense.

However in the building trades we are confronted with a huge existing stock of homes built with inches and feet measurements. That makes the switch more difficult. If we switch our US sheet of drywall from 4 feet x 8 feet to metric and make it an actual 1200 mm x 2400 mm it is smaller and cannot be easily used when renovating an existing building. If we jusr relabel the sheet it should be 1220 mm x 2440 mmif we round the numbers to the nearest 10 mm. There’s no point in that, IMO, as it is still difficult to calculate multiples.

And then we have our 16” wall stud spacing. What do we do there when 16” = 406.4 mm?

Thanks for all comments. Next time I will use the other side of my tape which has both measuring systems. I’m used to the metric system as well.

Thanks, MascaratumB. :beer:

Yes, it is a nice titanium flashlight. I don’t know how to recognise a Vinh driver but it has a small driver piggybacked on the original driver. It has three modes, the highest gets hot very fast.

There are two Nichias inside, maybe 5000K. Vinh added a diffusion film and and some kind of color filter, that makes the tint warmer and less green. Great tint indeed. :sunglasses:

Recently I got my second prize parcel from kiriba-ru. :person_with_crown: :smiley: :partying_face:

Huge thanks to kiriba-ru! :beer: :+1:

I also recently received my second prize, the Nightwatch NSX3 from Neal. Oh wait, that’s not a Nightwatch! :wink:

Neal had informed me that the NSX3 were no longer available and he offered this in it’s stead (a FW3B). Very fitting, actually, considering my build had a brass shell.

:+1:
I am patiently waiting for Wuben to sort out their shipping difficulties. Sad but still hopefull. As well a waiting fir virence’s store to restock. :slight_smile:

Daydreaming of what to make next time.

It was about 5 weeks ago when CRX asked for my email address to pass along to Flashlightlens.com

Sweet looker for sure!

Go on…

I wish there was more to tell.

You guys… :person_facepalming:

Wishing never seemed very effective to me.

How about sending me a PM instead of waiting around for weeks.
I only have information I am provided with. Mostly :innocent:

I wasn’t told what to expect, just to reply with my email address if I wanted $20 of lenses. So I waited patiently :innocent:

So no one has had an email from FLL?
I’ll contact yous in PM later about it.

the informed me a few weeks ago that Wuben was having shipping from CN to US problems. I don’t want to be a nag on something that I am getting for free.

I got a code from Clemence at Virence and have pretty much decided what I want. I’ll be ordering within the next day or so.

As an aside comment, we have our first rain since March 13. About time.

It’s been blazing hot here last few days. I hate it! :smiley:
Autumn is the nice weather for me.

Been freezing here yesterday it was 10°c at 6am