Olight i3T EOS Carbon Fiber

I’m not an ‘O Fan’ usually…… but couldn’t resist, always wanted a carbon fiber light and this was cheap enough on it’s release to bite for a Christmas present from the wife :smiley:

Nice little video on how it’s made too -

It certainly looks fancy.

huh

I saw that, too, pretty neat video…love seeing the centerless grinding in action. I don’t know if Easton is still making their carbon tubes here in the US but for some products their method was pretty much exactly the same (arrow shafts and tent poles were not the same). I’m glad they put the video out to share.

As for the light, it has fancy points but the CF doesn’t really offer anything for a flashlight in this small size (or most any other light really) - in fact it offers everything that you do not want for a flashlight plus the wear factor over time if it’s frequently used and pocketed. Sure looks nice, though, nicer than any of the simpler carbon overlays or wraps I’ve seen. I was trying to think of past carbon lights and I guess Olight really is the first to do one like this.

I couldn’t resist … great little light. I’m very pleased with mine.

Nice Weklund, I do hope mine arrives before Christmas but it far from for sure lol. I won’t edc carry a light as such so wear won’t be a problem, and tbh I can’t see it wearing much quicker than regular ano finishes. My lights are all like new really - I like them more than I use them if that makes sense lol!

The carbon fiber is a wrap on the aluminum body, IMO it is strickly for appearance. I admit it does looks nice

No, this one is different. I guess technically any bi-component tubing like this is wrapped, but this isn’t just a simple overlay. Surprising that they would go through so much effort.

Aslo it’s done that way for the threading, electronics (off/on etc) and I suspect a degree of thermal management.
In a way it is a wrap of course but it’s not your average layer of simple stick on sheet, it’s much better quality than that. Of course it’s done for the looks, but I suppose that is subjective to what you find attractive - personally I love the finish of carbon fibre, others may hate it.
Like I said, I’m not an Olight fan in general, nothing to do with cri, inbuilt batteries, stripping down to the last component etc - more price as in general they are too expensive for me for what you get, but I love the look of this one and it was not imo overpriced really at £35 (£44.99 after) plus it came with a free I3E eos worth another £10 and I used a £5 voucher I won. There is also the bonus they will likely go up in value rather than down like 99% of lights, as they are limited and collectable to some (they were quickly OOS), not that matters to me really.

So I had a “carbon fiber” Olight Seeker. Nice light, but it was not actual CF. This looks good, I’ll try it again.

Olight certainly know how to make pretty consumer lights.

Ok wrap is the incorrect term. Would laminate be more appropriate. What I am getting to is that this not carbon fiber throughout. I do understand the aluminum required for current flow, maybe eventually someone will produce a true carbon fiber flash light right now this isn’t it.

If one of our enthusiast brands were to bring out something like this I might bite…I do love carbon fiber, even the fake carbon weave. lol. This style of light isn’t for me…however, I did buy their new blue i5R EOS with the high cri emitter, which is the same light basically. It’s actually pretty decent in temp and tint, leans just a touch greenish (if it’s the Osram model I think it might be, it’s got low R9 contribution). Part of me wanted to “support” them for doing a high cri even if it wasn’t the best choice in emitter, but I was also curious about that 2.4v cell…interesting gig there and at some point I’m going to unwrap the cell to see what they have going on, and hopefully wrap it back up for use (otherwise it’ll be a $10 contribution to science). Unfortunately the rest of the light looks to be unmoddable/inaccessible without destruction.

I think to do a full-carbon body it might need embedded rods or holes for wires to run…carbon layup would make that more easily possible than trying to machine something like that, but ugh, more complex than it’s worth for a material that will not dissipate heat and in a more powerful light may keep the battery hot and shorten its lifespan. It’s not saving any weight here, either, and if they were to attempt to thin it out further then…well, that’s the weakest plane of strength for CF and would be prone to drop damage. In a little light like this it’s of no consequence.

But…dang pretty!!

Thanks for posting this, that’s a pretty attractive version indeed ! “Fake” CF indeed, but always pleasing to the eyes.

Do you confirm it ships with a cold white emitter (like the rest of the lineup) ?

Nice!
I want a CF light now, even though i don’t :smiley:

I sometimes like carbon fiber for knife handles, but I don't know about CF and flashlights.