Olight is factory de-doming the XP-L HI LED for the M3XS-UT Javelot?

I have been unhappy with Olight ever since they were deceptive about the M3XS-UT Javelot, which was supposed to be one of the first torches with the new Cree XP-L High Intensity (HI) LED. Instead, they shipped the Javelots with factory de-domed XP-L HD’s:

Instead of a great thrower with decent tint via the new Cree XP-L HI, my Javelot has an ugly green tint, and there is no coating on the LED at all, bringing up questions of emitter longevity and robustness. That wouldn’t have been horrible to me if at least their customer service was good, but they never owned up to this, lied to the Better Business Bureau, and then ignored my emails.

Now, they are claiming that they are using XP-L HI’s, but de-doming them: :quest: :exmark: :quest:

This seems a bit unbelievable. Taking the flat-top “dome” off an already effectively de-domed Cree emitter that is engineered for throw? Sounds like a convenient fib.

Any thoughts on how plausible this is? and implications if so?

Im not sure though but there was an old post (before xpl hi was announced) that olight will have products with factory dedomed emitters.

Maybe due to the earlier reveal of xpl-hi, olight still

Has dedomed leds available in their factory and has no

More Place in the flashlight world due to xpl-hi. They resort to this to sell off those.

Would be better if olight just sold their remaining dedomed leds to us at a tempting price.

This is what it seems like to me, and if so, they’ve told many lies in the process to cover it up.

A friend of mine sent me his brand new Olight M2X-UT Javelot to hot rod. He told me it had “an HI emitter”.

The emitter they used is a de-domed XP-L with a healthy dollop of a sealant making a shiny “dome” across the phosphor, and an ugly green tint. NOT an HI emitter at all, not even close. The output was horrible, nowhere near their claims. (in the 600’s in lumens and way below the claimed 160Kcd)

I fixed that, of course, and he now has an HI equipped Javelot heading his way with 1400+ lumens and 189Kcd.

The whole point of the factory HI is that the dome-less emitter is optimized to make tint, doing anything to it negates the very essence of it being an HI in the first place, hence the lie behind the claim.

Edit: Correction, the Javelot my buddy will receive in the mail tomorrow is making 1232 lumens for 229.25Kcd, 957.6M throw. I should know better than to quote from memory by now.

I dont know why people claiming to see much green with dedomed XP-L in M3XS UT. I bought 2 from GearBest and both ware the best tint from dedomed emitter that I have ever seen, even better then my Courui with dedomed XM L2 U3 1A. Maybe I was lucky or the first batch was the only with that ugly tint……
Sold them both in a blink of a eye :wink:

This Javelot was just purchased like 2 weeks ago, he got it last week and sent it to me… 2 days shipping away.

On this one, it was so odd to see that sealant domed up over the phosphor, it was literally covering the entire top of the emitter, substrate and all, in a small dome. If they were gonna do that, why de-dome it at all? I’ll have to get a couple of pics of it side by side with an HI, you’ll be amazed. I know I was.

I’ve got a Javelot that came with a de-domed XM-L2, it was an excellently de-domed emitter, very clean. So I know what they were doing at first, mine was a sample sent to me for review when they first came out.

Because they’re green. Maybe you did get lucky and yours was nice, but most of us have green M3XS-UT lights. Here’s two comparison photos I made between my M3XS-UT and SR52-UT. They should be quite similar since they’ve both got XP-L’s behind the same reflector:

The drivers are a bit different in these lights and the M3SX-UT does out-throw it’s SR-brother by about 10%, but the biggest difference between them, for the sake of this conversation at least, is the emitter treatment. De-domed XP-L in the M3SX-UT is green, XP-L HI in the SR52-UT isn’t.

Now in my opinion the stock emitter used in the SR52-UT is too cool. In actual use, it glares in the atmosphere much worse than the green de-dome and the M3XS-UT is actually a very capable light, but that doesn’t make the green tint acceptable.

I thought some of my dedomed XML/XPG/XPL were of great tints. Until I saw a real XPL HI.

I have a new XP-L HI and a damaged one beside the one that came out of my friends Javelot. Guess which is which…

Holy s$¡t that’s some thick sealant piled up on that javelot emitter! I haven’t seen one like that…

Oh no that looks just ugly, even my first attempt to dedome XM L looked much nicer.
Nice pics Dave, really greenish color.
Now I know that I was definitely lucky, since we can see that Olight is experimenting with different bin of XP-L :Sp

I’ve got an M23 Javelot and I can see the sealant piled on top of it too. I’m going to be swapping it out though.

The dedome of my M3XS-UT is really nice, so is the color. If Cree makes a HI V5, maybe I'll do a swap, but for now the light is just perfect as it is.

I have researched dedoming a while ago and found that some light brands have developed a proprietary way of dedoming emitters. One brand with good reviews was LUX-RC, does anybody know what their “MDC” is exactly and how they use it?

(I can’t embed .png images so I linked to their dedomed product on facebook)

Can this maybe or something similar be achieved with DIY methods for the Javelot or other lights?