Olight Seeker 4 Mini - mini review

I have to say upfront that I got into Olight flashlights early on. Their very earliest lights were often chasing after Fenix designs, and falling a little short. The company has come a very long way since then. I have the S1 (Ti), S10, and S15, plus the S35 Baton, my last purchase… until now. (Also an only M20 Warrior, but it’s mothballed).

Olight gradually began to shift towards providing flashlights with proprietary batteries that follow standardized sizing. For most flashlight enthusiasts, this isn’t a good move. Because you become captive to the maker for replacement cells. And now Olight has taken it a step further, where their standard sized batteries have both poles at the top. This makes it impossible to charge cells like this in standard chargers. You have to use the built-in charger of the flashlight. Yes, one could probably fashion on a DIY setup to get around this, but you’d have to be mindful not to make any mistakes and of course never leave the charging cell unattended.

About the only proprietary batteries I’d tolerate are small ones soldered inside a flashlight, and for “mini EDC” or “keychain” size. RovyVon’s Aurora series, for example. So while I was drawn to the Seeker 4 Pro for its interesting design and capabilities, I balked because of the battery. And the price.

Recently I learned about the Seeker 4 Mini. Cheule posted a really great review of it. Zero Air also has a nice balanced review, HERE. And I decided to give it a try.

The Seeker 4 Mini is a very well made 18350 form factor flashlight. It has dual primary emitters and a 3rd specialized emitter (UV) on a 2nd channel, built-in charging, and well machined body. Instead of a TIR, it relies upon 3 mini reflectors (proprietary size).

While there’s a lot to like about this flashlight, there are a few detractors:

1) The 18350 cell is a proprietary design with both poles at the top end. Thus, you can only use Olight cells in this and they have to be charged inside the flashlight. While there is a slight gap between the cell and inner body wall, it may be too narrow for utilizing a DIY adapter to put both battery poles at the front end for using a 3rd party battery.

2) The size is quite tall for an 18350 powered flashlight. The Sofirm IF19A is actually a little taller, but it has a much wider head and is designed for throw. Stacking a Lumintop FW3A w/18650 cell next to the Seeker 4 mini shows just a 1/4" difference.

3) The weight is quite high. In fact, the Seeker 4 mini weighs about 100g while the FW3A is 97g.

Frankly, adding about an inch more so it can take an 18650 cell seems like it makes more sense given the thickness and head diameter.

The twin P9 Osram emitters produces a very respectable output. There’s moonlight, followed by press-hold for low, med, high, then cycles back to low. Double-click for turbo. The ramping rate is good–not too slow or too fast. There is an electronic lockout, which is absolutely necessary since there’s no physical lockout. You lockout from off by press+hold and continuing after moonlight activates (takes about 2 seconds). In lockout mode, press+hold for a second and it unlocks into moonlight. It’s a good intuitive UI.

Performance wise the white LED’s do not put out 1200 lumens. It’s closer to 1000 lumens. But to the unaided eye, it’s hard to really notice it. What’s most impressive is the sustained output, without stepping down. The Seeker 4 mini will get a little warm, but never uncomfortably so. Maybe this is the advantage of the Olight driver design coupled with the proprietary battery.

The UV emitter is very strong, at 760 mW, 365nm. In fact, I have several multi-function lights with UV emitters, and the Seeker 4 Mini blows them away. So much more is picked up that is UV sensitive. My only gripe is how easy it is to access UV. Just a double-click from off. I’d prefer 4 rapid clicks.

Olight offers a 30 day money back guarantee – you can return your flashlight for any reason, providing it’s pristine as-new with all original packaging and accessories. Additionally, Olight now offers a lifetime warranty.

I was going to return this flashlight for the following reasons:

1. I’m not quite sure I buy into the proprietary cell idea. It’s fine for very small flashlights with soldered in proprietary cells specifically designed for the form factor. But 18350 size and up? They should be standard.

2. It’s very long and heavy for an 18350. In fact, it’s pretty much reaching 18650 stature, while delivering only a maximum of 1100 mAh. That’s not really competitive.

3. The price is rather high for what you get. I would not pay the list price (which was originally $55.95, but is now $79.95). I got mine for $50 on sale, plus an extra battery for just $4.

Why did I decide to keep it?

1. I realized based on my usage that cells tend to last a very long time. I rarely let them get close to deep discharge. I store than at 80%. And I have so many flashlights, that rotation spreads out the usage. I think for this flashlight, I’m OK giving proprietary a go. Especially since it seems like Olight has a special coupling with the driver and this battery.

2. This barely qualifies for front pocket carry, but It’s doable. The clip is a very nice size and works well for pockets and hat brims.

3. Even on eBay you rarely get one of these for $50. I think after all the price is fair.

4. It’s a handsome flashlight. I like the way it looks. And the color I chose, green, is a great shade.

5. I really like Olight’s magnetic charging system. I have an MCA and it works well. I got it pretty cheaply a few years back when Olight had a clearance sale. I’m shocked to see that it’s not only discontinued, but that people are willing to pay close to $50 USD for one!