on my wishlist: single CR123 flashlight with clicky switch, good build quality, around 3 inches

Hi everyone !

I searched the first 3 sites of the CR123 section here on BLF, to find my future almost-EDC flashlight.

I want to start with the specs I’m looking for:

• runs on single CR123 primary
  • good overall built quality (this includes that it will last longer than just a few months)
  • clicky switch
  • maximum lenght of 3,1 inches / 8cm
  • $30 should be the limit
  • no strobe modes, hidden modes should be fine

I will write down a short list of flashlights I found so far and what I like and dislike about them.

- Eastward YJ J08 - http://www.dealextreme.com/p/eastward-yj-j08-cree-xp-g-r5-3-mode-260-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-with-clip-1-cr123a-1-16340-44961

pros: size and prize
cons: build quality seems to be lousy, if you read the dx-forum and a few ratings there is the possibility that it dies within a few month, strobe but no low-mode

- LumaPower Incendio V3 - sorry no link available

pros: size, powerful little flashlight, overall build quality, no strobe modes
cons: price, unnecessary things in the package (tweezers? who needs them, this increases the price of course)

- Nitecore EX10 - Review: Nitecore EX10

pros: build quality, size, strobe modes are hidden
cons: price, small parasitic drain

I will not mention the EX11 because it’s even more expensive.

- Ultrafire RL-113 - Review: Ultrafire Stainless Steel RL-113

pros: build quality, size
cons: stainless steel and because of that a flashy look —> that’s a big con

- ShiningBeam I-mini value edition - http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-83/ShiningBeam-I-dsh-mini-Value-Edition/Detail

pros: price (BLF discount available)
cons: size (8,6cm), parasitic drain ?, UI —> loose head to start ramping

- ShiningBeam C-mini - http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-22/SD-Reader-MicroSD/Detail

pros: price (BLF discount)
cons: UI is combination of clicky and twisty and there is a strobe mode, size (8,6cm)

A few more intel:

- I got no problem with the use of 16340 (aint got a charger yet), you can suggest lights that run on both CR123 primary and 16340.

- I know that twistys are usally shorter, but I wanna try a small clicky now (already own an ITP A4 EOS 2xCR123 with twisty)

- There’s no need for a XM-L, I will be fine with XP-G, XP-E and so on.

- The EX 10 seems to be the one closest to my specs, but I can’t afford it, same goes for the LumaPower.
(Maybe I should consider the purchase of a used EX10?)

Thank you for reading this ! ! !

Which flashlight would you consider to buy (which is not on my list already) ?
I promise I will listen to every single hind of you and do my researches.

kind regards

Have you looked for comparison reviews?

1xCR123A/RCR Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more! | Candle Power Flashlight Forum!

I tend to look a lot at throw, brightness, and run times to exclude and focus my attention on the best choices for how what I expect in my own use. Long run time on medium is different from high brightness and throw. Hope this helps.

What about
Small Sun ZY C1 Stainless Steel ?
http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/small-sun-zyc1-stainless-steel-cree-q5-3mode-led-flashlight-16340-p-11028

3 mode - change the driver.

Can you even find these lights now? :slight_smile: Selfbuilt’s half-budget roundups got me into lights. I miss my Eagletac T10C….

Another possibility:

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/tank007-tk360-haiii-cree-790xre-160lumen-5mode-memory-led-flashlight-1cr123a-p-4431

Depends on where you are but I still have a few Ex-10's for sale ..one of the easiest lights to mod too since all the guts come out the front and a xpg2 or a nichia 219 would be a nice down the road mod for color or cgi ...

If I wasn't selling them i'd still say one of the nicer lights for the money .

I have a jetbeam bc-10 I bought for a little under 30$on sale .. that is pure dog#### when compared to the ex-10 at just a few bucks more ..

I haven't pushed these lights in a long time but they are a great deal and no one who's ever bought one has said anything other than ... great light

@ Gottazoom:

Thank you for linking the comparison, awesome work it is.
Unfortunately Tecmo is right and it is not up to date anymore.
The Fenix p2d fitted the specs but was already replaced by the Fenix pd20 and I don’t like the UI of the Fenix pd 20 at all.

@Suncoaster:
Thank you for your recommendation !
The Small Sun yz c1 is a nice little light if you don’t mind its polished stainless steel appearance.
Well I think polished stainless steel is nice on a dress watch, but it doesn’t fit flashlights, it’s about personal preferences in the end.

@Jonhobart:
Thank you, I’ve never seen this one before, I know the brand Tank007 though.
I will include this one into my pool of choices.
Can you provide a first hand impression ?

@Lumatic:
Well written review !
I may check it out and in the case I don’t like it, I know somebody who will gladly accept it as a gift.

kind regards

Fenix®
Brightness 100-240 Lumens R4 LED Flashlight(1 x CR123 Battery)

for $23.39 with 10OFFSALE coupon.

Fenix

Nice light, good price, not clicky though. I’d pick Solarforce L2M with Manafont host, except it’s too long.

And I would rule out build quality.

I have had to send it back once, and have had to replace the switch once.

That being said, Lumapower has done a good job of working with me, but in theory they shouldn’t have to.

Nice lights posted here. I never look at lights in that format, guess I should start.

@woody

The L2m I ordered should arrive soon.

@sharpthangs

Sorry to hear about your problems with lumapower.

@langcjl

Give it a try !

it isn't the newest or brightest light out there but the leatherman serac s3 fits all your requirements, except it's 81 mm long and you probably won't find it for $30 unless on sale

I have been EDC'ing mine for over a year and it's a great simple rugged light with good runtimes and simple L>M>H mode sequence & reverse clicky

great deep carry wire clip too

I love my Shiningbeam I-Mini value edition. My most carried EDC.