Opple Light Master 4 discussion thread (new 2023 model)

I believe the X-rite colorimeters are only capable of CCT and I think DUV. You’ll need one of their spectrophotometers for CRI. I’ve been searching ebay every few days for a ColorMunki Photo. I’m hoping to find one ≤$100. I missed out on one that sold for under like $80.

Nice! What software do you use once you have the device? ArgyllCMS + DisplayCAL? I saw something about OSRAM’s LED ColorCalculator, but the download links don’t work. (Hopefully, this isn’t too off topic.)

see Opple Light Master 4 discussion thread (new 2023 model) - #325 by thefreeman

The Osram LED ColorCalculator link hasn’t worked for at least a months now. There was someone on Reddit that recently uploaded a copy, but with the r/flashlight subreddit going dark I can’t find the link. If you’d like I can upload it?

1 Thank

There is 7.61 32 bit version on web.archive https://web.archive.org/web/20190531143248/http://apps.osram-americas.com/colorcalculator/ColorCalculator_32_zip.zip
If someone upload newest version 7.77 64 bit, I would be very grateful.

1 Thank

Here’s a link to version 7.77 64 bit I just uploaded.

4 Thanks

I do not use my Opple 4 either… big waste of time…

I have Opple 3, and it works for me.

ColorMunki Photo is a MUCH better tool than any Opple.

I think its great for people to learn how to get better data. If you figure it out, maybe post a tutorial thread.

I wish you success!

Sooo light masters are on sale rn. I don’t have either version. The 3 is $4 cheaper than the 4. What’s the general consensus right now? Just get the 4 and hope for updates? Or just get the 3? If you had neither

I’d get the 3 now.

6 Thanks

Cool thanks. Damn good price rn. $25 shipped for the 3.

I would wait until after June 30, before buying an Opple 4. Find out how people feel about the app update, IF it happens…

I agree w TimMc that if you must buy today, instead of waiting to find out if the Opple 4 app update made any difference, as of now, the Opple 3 is the better option.

3 Thanks

did some simple testing just now, new algorithm and calibration method seems promising, but I still use desk lamp for testing here.
weird, I can not post more replies. plz check another post above.

1 Thank

guys, Let’s together make LM4 better than LM3 :slight_smile:

7 Thanks

great idea!

Im looking forward to trying the update tomorrow.
Thanks for your help sharing info :slight_smile:

app team has their schedule, they will incorporate it in July 30th version.
I pretty much want to share calibration method and algorithm with you guys(I am actually a software guy, I knew nothing about light metrics before, I learned recently by myself, hence I need you guys to help me), but I need to consult with my leader to make him consent.

4 Thanks

thank you for helping to create communication between the Users, and the Designers :wink:

From my User perspective, I use the Opple 3 as a reference and compare it to the Opple 4… It would be good if they produced similar results, from any given light being tested.

Even better would be to use a more expensive meter as a reference for example a Sekonic, and try to get the Opple 4 to produce similar results for the things it registers, CRI Ra, Tint Duv, CRI R9.

I would also be really good if the CIE spectrum chart on Opple 4 would work. Right now it is just a static image that does not update with new light sources. It does work in the Opple 3.

3 Thanks

I’ve given app team your CIE spectrum chart feedback. They will fix it.

4 Thanks

This has to be done for all CCTs, all Ra / tints and other types of lighting as well. This is important to avoid any deviations if a light source with other CCTs or tint is measured.

1 Thank

I think it will be important to test all sorts of lights ranging from incandescents to high and low CCT/CRI leds, as well as fluorescents and HIDs (not very common but still exist).

I would volunteer to help out with development as I’ve got a pretty comprehensive light collection, but sadly I don’t have access to a Sekonic or similar meter.

It’d take a lot of effort. I personally want to expand support of more light sources and different CCTs, all Ra/tints. I even want to incorporate measurement of daylight. but resources and support is inadequate here.

5 Thanks