Opple Light Master III (G3) discussion thread (Cheap device for measuring Lux, CCT + CRI)

> colormunki

far superior to Opple as colormunki has full CRI data, including CRI R9 and R12, and is more accurate overall.

but afaik, colormunki requires pairing with a computer and special software… Probably good for people that use PCs and command line interface… I dont know if it runs on a Mac…

Correct me if it runs on a GUI…

I use ArgyllPro app on Android but it’s a $99 app and there is no iPhone version.

However, it plugs directly to phone and allows me to walk around and the app has everything I care about in one screen.

Ymmv very niche app

Looks like Opple is having significant difficulties in manufacturing these units now. I’m still not a fan of these and think it’s a little disappointing how they have been embraced so much lately in published reviews, etc. without good (more accurate) references with equipment that doesn’t have the same shortcomings, and/or clear disclaimers in the reviews about the source of the graphics/data and the inherent potential for errors therein.

But……did notice this statement on their aliexpress listing. Seems they are considering a Gen 4 unit and are asking for input. The little stock they (maybe) have available in Gen 2/Gen 3 Pro are at decent prices on the site.

thanks for the details, an Android spectrometer for $258.

My wallet is safe, colormunki and ArgylII do not work on my Apple Computer, nor my iPhone

I really appreciate your data shared…

Im also really happy with my Opple, I would buy it again.
They are in stock on Aliex, recommended.

The Opple is suprisingly accurate for CCT, and CRI Ra. If I pick up a light and do not know what LED is in it, my Opple can help me figure out whether it is high cri or low cri, and whether it is 3000K or 4000K, etc…

I find the Opple Tint DUV data Very useful, especially for comparing lights to each other and sharing that info in a beam color photo.

An example of how the Opple can be used to help share tint information and answer questions such as:
Is a Dedomed 5700K 519a as “Pink” as sw45K?
Does the XP-L Hi 5000K have tint duv above or below the bbl, how does it compare in tint to sw45k and DD5700K?

(not my photo, not my opple, pic links to source)

Thanks, done.

The Opple is a really useful meter. They are still in stock. If anyone is interested in learning more about the Tint and Color of their LEDs… I highly recommend picking one up. It is plenty accurate enough for comparing lights to each other.

a consistent technique, produces consistent results:

ArgyllCMS and ColorCalculator both work fine in MacOS :money_mouth_face:

Oh, an Opple LIght Master 4.. that's exciting.

But funny at the same time, because how is it possible to not be able to produce Light Master 3/PRO, but okay for the 4... strange.

Anyway..

Some tips:

1. Make an export feature with ALL measurement at once :D .. now we have to swipe to see different parts. (and would be nice to include flicker as well)
  2. Include DUV (so we dont'have to calculate it ourselves)
  3. Include R9?
  4. USB-C port please
  5. Make an accessory holder to put the Light Master in different angles without doing this manually
  6. Just wishful thinking: logging feature please

But for the most part, the USB-C would be the easiest, together with the DUV numbers... for the rest, I think that's just wishful thinking. And making the device more expensive.

It's quite incredible value for the money at this point.. so I just hope it stays affordable so many people can enjoy it.

The 3 uses the AS7262 which is ”Not Recommended for New Designs” and there is a more recent chip with more color channels (AS7341) so it makes sense to make a new version.

A gen 4 LM could be launched next year according to an answer I got from Opple.

The DUV could be added now to the Gen3/Pro since it would just require updating the app.

Agreed.
Most important: R9. Not that I am really, really interested in this number (I got the value from Simon/Hank and reviews here anyway), more that I am annoyed that Opple owners can’t get it while others can lol .
Bonus and mandatory for this day and age: USB-C.

And thanks for starting this thread :+1: :slight_smile: . I’ve had so much fun and learned a lot about flashlight behavior since I got the Opple Pro/3.

Nice thing is one of the sensors in this chip matches the R9 wavelength. Not sure how helpful that is though. I guess the absolute sensor output must be related to less sharply measured values.

R9

USB-C

Duv calculator

Send them in email if you are interested (R9 and USB-C for me):

From Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803116495145.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6fff305bDOkxpG&algo_pvid=19d82623-e95c-4c06-8838-48d65043a32b&algo_exp_id=19d82623-e95c-4c06-8838-48d65043a32b-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000025283672457"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!29.46!14.73!!!!!%40210318be16611154920004707e57ac!12000025283672457!sea&curPageLogUid=oQi8ZMizogEW

If you have some advice, or request about 4th generation, please send Email to us.
Thank you for your supports of Light Master.

Email Address: opplelightmaster@outlook.com

dont feel bad for $40

People pay at least 4x the price of the Opple, to get a used Colormunki Spectrometer, that they can plug into their Android phone running a $99 app.

The small all in one handheld spectrometers start at about $800 and go up from there, kind of like Hankos and Cool Fall lights…

How badly do you want R9 data? :money_mouth_face:

Jon I want it badly. Don’t need it, but do want it. :confounded: :innocent:
Opple 3 is “recommended extremely highly.” Opple 4 with R9 and USB-C will be “recommended without reservation.”

Kidding aside, while I am learning so much and having lots of fun with Opple 3 as hopefully obvious in my S21D threat, I do think that Opple 4 without R9 and USB-C would be a let down.

well, you can dream of an Opple w R9
but if I was you, I would’nt wait to inhale :beer:

imo, you should buy a real spectrometer…
and breathe a sigh of relief from being spared
the Sisyphean task of pushing R9 out of an Opple :student:

lest we also forget what a real colorimeter or spectrophotometer can also do:

calibrate PC monitor (D65 or whatever you choose)

• I have two similar model screens at work from years apart so the panels are very different at default settings. However, with my colormunki photo I was able to get them calibrated to look nearly identical.

-you can calibrate a photo printer to have accurate colors (if people still have these)

-calibrate a projector or TV (not as simple however)

-IRL color picker. want to match the color of a painted object or something?

I actually have Gretag Macbeth i1 Pro that I use to calibrate my computer monitors, mainly because of my photography hobby. I was going to use it to calibrate my TV and projector but when the time came, I realized it was completely out of my league. I ended up getting a pro calibrator to come to my house.

For this flashlight hobby, a Opple Light Master will do, all things considered (for one I don’t watch HDR movies with it etc.). Part of the joy is getting so much fun out of something so cheap.

Jon (or anyone) why Sisyphus reference? I don’t follow this hobby closely. Is there something about Opple sensor that makes it impossible to get R9? Really without R9 capability, personally I do not see any reason to upgrade, USB-C or not.