Opple Light Master III (G3) discussion thread (Cheap device for measuring Lux, CCT + CRI)

I have found, like many others that it is not perfect… But, it is a better way of quantifying light than the SWAG method and does not cost hundreds of dollars.

100 CRI, the only time I have seen that reading is out in full sun. The CRI numbers I have gotten across maybe 50 lights I have tested so far seem to be very reliable. I have tested many variations and ages of Nichia leds, 3 samples of FC40’s, LH351’s, SST-20’s and a few other emitters. I think this is the function I like the most. It was most interesting to look at my selections of XP-L Hi 5A2 and 5A3 emitters and a few XP-l HD and XHP-50.2’s.

Rayoui

thanks very much for the reality check

> D80v2 with 219b sw30 and the factory green AR coat glass.
DUV –0.0021

> Here is the same light on the same mode but with a Convoy C8 purple AR coat glass held in front of the light.
DUV 0.0000

change caused by convoy lens +0.0021

===

opple data
> D80v2 219b sw30
DUV 0.000

R: D80v2 219b sw30 + Convoy AR coated
DUV 0.0011

change caused by convoy lens based on Opple +0.0011

===

data observation
spectrometer reads –0.0021 (lower) than Opple, on D80V2
spectrometer reads –0.0011 (lower) than Opple w convoy lens

spectrometer calculates DUV difference 0.0010 higher than Opple

I’m considering getting one. I’m assuming it is made and designed to just take light samples from various places in rooms and so forth. So my question is, are you guys measuring things in totally dark rooms and from what distances with these flashlights? Somebody above already pointed out that they’re getting different readings depending on the distance. So publishing all this data without everybody on the same page as far as darkness and or distance, I don’t know if it’s useful. Especially when we’re starting to add in two stacked different colored AR coated lenses. Do we know if it makes a difference on which side of the AR coating is facing down or up? There are a lot of variables here.

More Opple data

testing stock lens of FWAA impact on DUV (it has a pink AR)

FWAA with uncoated sapphire lens
3x 3500k 219B
DUV –0.0005

with original fwaa lens in front
DUV –0.0001

net change, not significant… +0.0004

First, I measure in the dark, with the light that has an uncoated sapphire lens, 6” from the sensor…

next without moving the light, I place the test lens against the bezel and take another reading…

it seems the absolute values may not be the same as on a more expensive and calibrated instrument

however, I think the comparison of the same light, with and without an AR lens, might be giving useful data… for me to compare with my own light and lenses

I do also use the Opple to test LED light bulbs in my house, for flicker, and DUV

and also to compare the DUV effect of blending two beams…

and it also lets me compare the DUV of different LEDs
I have several different sw45k for example, and some are much more pink than others

the Opple DUV calculation tracks what I see with my eyes… the most pink has the lowest DUV

when comparing multiple lights, first I start by setting them to the same lumen output, on a separate meter. Then using the opple I set the light distance to produce similar lux on the opple,

and then I use the xy coordinates to calculate DUV online

I guess I’m going to have to get one. I’m wondering if the numbers are going to change at 6 feet or 60 ft were we are actually looking at things rather than 6”. Also spot verses spill. Without the AR coating output goes down but I forgot by how much. And I’m sure that’s not a static number. Again more variables.

I dont use those distances
but, if you do, just be consistent

most of my tests are at relatively low output of about 20 lumens… Im not testing throwers outdoors… lol

I find that the numbers seem to be most consistent when I pick the distance based upon the mode of the light. I cannot isolate 6 or 60 feet from outside interference, so I tend to pick a number in lux and generally target that amount of light hitting the sensor for each mode governed by distance.

I do the same

when making comparisons I try to approximately match the Lux of each light on the Opple…

I aim for about 20,000 Lux for each Opple sample…

sometimes I fine tune the Lux reading, by moving the light a bit closer or further… from the sensor

This just made me spend about $150 on Waveform light bulbs. But it was worth it. High CRI everywhere in my house now.

yay :slight_smile:
I did the same… the color quality makes me smile, and I like that they run cooler than incandescent

Im using Waveform 400w equivalent 2700K filament

and a 600w equivalent in 3000K photography grade

I tested each at about 10,000 Lux on my Opple

===

here is a “control shot”
Incandescent Halogen, it tests at 3700K on the opple…
(also tested at about 10,000 lux)

Incan still has a better flicker index than LED

not sure how much to worry about the High Risk flicker score of the two LED lights, compared to the No Risk score of the Incandescent

I generally measure from between 12-24” in the center of the hotspot in a completely dark room. It gives relatively consistent results, at least within a fair margin for error.

Other things to take into consideration: setting different output levels on the light will likely change the tint/CCT as most LEDs have tint shift based on current. Many also have significant angular tint shift so measuring the hotspot/corona/spill will give you different results.

You are very correct. One needs to develop a process that they are happy with and then stick to it.

agree on all counts
I really appreciate your contributions

Opple on Sale for ~$20

Oh what the heckarooni...I'm buying another one.

Interesting, but not worth $38.80 shipping

I agree, but I dont see a shipping fee… the link I posted says:

“Free Shipping to United States via AliExpress Standard Shipping”

Cleared cashe again and got $24.01 total. Much better!

yay
I paid about $35 for mine… you got a better deal :+1:

Yeah just under $24. I know the order went through but Ali is not sending me an email. Possibly because I haven’t logged out they think I’m still shopping. Or they’re getting about 5,000 orders per minute and trying to process the credit cards.