Opple Light Master III (G3) discussion thread (Cheap device for measuring Lux, CCT + CRI)

20.85 total shipped. Should be fun to play with, thanks!

Price rather irresistible, so i got myself an unit. Thanks for the tip off!

No shipping to the Netherlands :frowning:

Got one for Christmas.
What a nifty little toy.
Great to see that the LED modules made from different CCTs of CRI90 LM301b have a Ra of 97 while being extremely efficient.

Surprising was, that my nicest flashlights, those with SST40 in 5000K have horrible CRI while being so pleasant for the eye …

didn’t expect this thing to be that tiny. Gotta print something in resin to keep it in one place.

I noticed same… New Armytek Wizard Pro C1 warm has 4000k and is nice. CRI is < 70. Would have never known because it looks so good…

I just went through this thread...

Looks interesting for less than $25

I don't think I need one, but it definitely looks cool.

(and it's good for the flashlight hobby.)

Yes, it looks good, close to BBL. But color rendition is not very good, I see this immediately when running. SST-20 at 4000K is much better imo.

I got the pro a few days ago. I’ve tried two different phones but I cannot get it to pair up. I’ve gone through all the settings and permissions multiple times. The phones see the device but it eventually says “device not found”. Even when I go into bluetooth settings on the phone and I can see the device and try to pair that way it says “pairing rejected by Lmaster_0ac9.” I’ve removed and reinstalled the app. Anybody else had problems?

Are you trying to pair it through your phone’s Bluetooth menu or through the Opple app? At least with my Android phone, you just pair it in the app. Don’t mess with the phone’s BT pairing stuff.

It charges very slowly at 0.03 amps which appers normal. But even after it stopped taking power the little Amber yellowish light never changed color.

Yes I tried through the app for the first 10 times. And then started digging further and looking to see if I could go through the phones Bluetooth settings. That’s how I know that the phone sees the device. Two different Androids. I’m going to try a few different older phones tonight.

It sometimes fails to pair with my phone. I imagine that it works better when the Opple receives some light. Not sure if it really matters but that’s what seemingly helped.

I bought two of them and they work fine with my older iPhone 8, every single time. It's entirely possible you have a bad one.

For reference, some teardown photos on Reddit show this device using the AS7262 chipset

It needs GPS permission as well. Dont ask me why.

WHY? Okay that was the problem. I had given it full location permission. BUT, I did not have location turned ON on the phone. With location turned on it works on both phones. WHY? Opple doesn’t need to know where the device is being used . In the app info at the Play store it says that you can disable these permissions after the fact. I’ll experiment more later.

It’s not an Opple problem. Bluetooth access has historically been part of the Location permission (not “GPS”) in Android. And Opple needs Bluetooth of course. This behavior has just been changed with the recently-released Android 12. But if you’re not on Android 12 yet, then yes… you need to grant Location access. Take the tinfoil hat off for just a moment. :wink:

Interesting… I really should have kept playing with those AMS sensors 2 years ago when I first took a swing at making an inexpensive spectrum sensor. I just got so much variability depending on how I shined the light that I ended up canning it. I don’t think I used a diffuser though… maybe I should dust if off and try that for S’s & G’s.

Slowly taking hat off. Your explanation laid it out pretty clear, thank you. I’ll read your link later. I’ve cast, I’ve nfc’d, but I guess I hadn’t done much with Bluetooth and didn’t know that about the location. It’s good to know Google is finally fixing it. I just got on to 11 yesterday so my phone will probably never see 12. I’ll keep the hat nearby.

So I got my Opple Light Master Pro and tested 3 of my lights.

OSRAM W2 (CCT: 5093, Ra: 62.3) - Noctigon DM11

Nichia 219B SW45K (CCT: 4281, Ra: 95.5) - Emisar D4V2

CREE XP-L HI 5000K V3 3A (CCT: 4576, Ra: 74.3) - Emisar D4V2

Both the Nichia and CREE lights are closer to the expected CCT, but the W2 light is lower than the expected CCT of 6000K. I am not sure why this is the case and I hope someone may have an answer or explanation for it? Thanks.

I do not know why your W2 measures the way it does… Maybe someone else with an Opple and a W2 can confirm the CCT you are getting.

fwiw, depending how far I put the light from the Opple, I get different CCT…
the light was set to 18 lumens, it is a Copper Tool w sw45k… the increase in Lux is only from moving the light closer…