Opple Light Master III (G3) discussion thread (Cheap device for measuring Lux, CCT + CRI)

Where you find that price. For me it is 66$ now. That is higher price I ever seen on AE listing of Opple light master. They go up price because here they gain popularity of that anyway cheap product.

Aliexpress Opple official Store had a Flash Sale the past 2 days, but it’s over now, the G3 Pro was around $20 and the series 2 was around $17, so I put the G3 Pro in my cart.

But when I went to submit payment it already sold out and was showing the $66 price, So I messaged Opple and was informed:
“We are sorry that pro 3 sold out. we need more to produce pro.it will take few months” :slight_smile:

The Series2 was still showing stock at $17xx so I ordered that one instead.

But something’s fishy about “taking a few months” because today is showing 159 Pieces available!!

I think they have some marketing strategies to work out. Just now checked and is 63.- USD free shipping.
Regular yo-yo. And not very friendly for the future buyer if the price bounces around from astronomical to cheap.

When I first heard of this device, it was listed at ~40.- CAD and I thought it was too high (not having any reviews). I waited it out and when I saw it at $25 I ordered. IIRC later (between X-mas and now) bottomed out at 20 USD.
Got to check periodically and that’s time-consuming.

But having a tall tail response “We are sorry that pro 3 sold out. we need more to produce pro.it will take few months” when there are 457 pieces available as of this writing. That’s an outright lie.

I didn’t want to say it outright, but yeah!

Checked back a little further in my messages and found this from the 31st:

Dear customer, welcome to OPPLE Official Store. All products are 50% off during new store open day! All customers will get coupons. Don’t forget to follow us to get extra coupons for our fans! Please directly contact me if you have any questions or concerns! We are sincerely looking forward to your reply! About OPPLE LightingHere to Follow us and get coupon! Coupons for Fans

So it was a 50% off new store open day sale. The G3 Pro was $23xx so I guess the normal selling price was around $46xx?
(Which is about what it would come to now after the $20 coupon)

I called them out on “There’s suddenly plenty of stock” in a message but haven’t got a reply.

Opple did send me coupons, including one for $20 off, but they don’t work. “Sorry, there’s no more available”

While I’m waiting impatiently for my G3 Pro I read this thread to learn how to use it properly.

I’m a little confused since I can read here the measurement should be done:

1. From a distance (which exactly distance is recommended most?)
  2. Without any other sources of light influencing (total darkness?)
  3. With a particular light intensity (does it transfer to a particular intensity in cd? or Lumens? In simple words: having a flashlight capable of 2000LM, how many % of power would suit best for the measurement?)

If you could share your findings we all could learn faster on how to use this device in a best possible way.

Comments to the above 3 questions would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Much that I like the updates to Ali, their messages board no longer has any badge on the front page. So I often forget to specifically check their message center. Just so looked about if there was any setting I could ‘tick’, but other than eMail notifications, no such. Have a $10 coupon on a $60 purchase.

I don’t like Opple’s marketing whatsoever. Giving themselves some awards (we had a marketing company selling such awards to merchants – and it fooled many), having two product versions without any specifics of differences, the misleading app pictures as this has been updated. And then their arbitrary terminology: “stroboscopic index” (flicker index), “CS rhythmic stimulus index (frequency modulation), ”EML blackness illuminance” (CIE 1931 colour co-ordinates chart). Perhaps these are the proper names, but then they should have been carried over to the app interface.
It’s a recurring theme whereas the Chinese don’t have any command of English and then it gets confusing. I always thought they had no structure in their language or were poorly informed of the logistics. Then I stumbled on a manufacturer with no less than 3 westerners in their company photo but still had these blatant structural errors. So I take they leave the salespeople on their own.

However, the device does work as intended and the app does connect. Unfortunately, it doesn’t log the info – there’s a little plus in the upper right corner but it opens an instructional page with Bluetooth connection initialization. Has a little message “Please wait for seconds”.

There’s some work to be done in communication and pricing.

You’ll know the CCT is no homogeneous across most beam profiles. You measure what falls onto the diffuser. Think of the Cree rainbow you see at the white wall. Your question cannot be answered easily, beacause there’s nothing like a constant CCT for a flashlight.

Ambient light should read 0 lx on the Opple.

With no knowledge about the chip, I’d say it should be designed to work within the specs at 50% max. allowed brightness.

Thanks Unheard, as usual - things are not that easy. :neutral_face:

Referring to the question 1:
Would it make sense to illuminate the sensor using a tube? So the whole light coming out of the flashlight would mix before hitting the sensor? I assume a white tube here or even padded with aluminium foil. And following that idea: does it make ever sense to collect the light on the edges of the beam? Maybe that would bias the real result?

The outer edges do not contribut that much I imagine. If you place the Opple in front of a white wall, you see exacly what you measure. To blend the spot area, I’d recommend dc-fix.

I noticed what others have reported here, too: Most important is to not move the Opple/light when measuring. Not sure why that is, but the readings are wildly varying.

It uses a really full featured ic, but unfortunately it has been discontinued and not likely available with the pandemic chip shortage, so get what you can, while you can, if you really want it.

i found the datasheet to be very informative, it’s a very impressive ic,
https://ams.com/documents/20143/36005/AS7262_DS000486_2-00.pdf/0031f605-5629-e030-73b2-f365fd36a43b

this chip uses a 6-channel photodiode array to sample the reflected beam thru a 20 degree FOV, 0.75mm diameter aperture, below is the spectral response of the channels.
For all the channels except the red, the testing data used a 5700K Led at 4100 Lux; for the red channel they used an incan at 10,000 Lux.

There are no rules yet. Some have bounced off ceiling or other white objects. I've tested some lights out at 100 feet. It won't give CCT and Ra readings at under 10 lux or above 50,000 lux. I would say test as you use your light. If you use your light at 5 ft or 30 ft, test at 5 ft or 30 ft. If there are differences in different parts of the beam at those distances then figure it out. With one light I can get almost identical readings on CCT and Ra at 1.5 feet and 100 ft. Edit . It might be best to keep everything in meters.

My Opple Light Master Pro consistently under-read the CCT from the nominal CCT regardless of how I change the setup.

1) Changing the distance between the sensor and the light affects the CCT reading but it will still be off by 200K to 500K.
2) Bouncing beam off the wall will give me a CCT value that is the closest to the nominal CCT.
3) If I place the light and let it rest on top of the sensor it will over-read by 100K to 200K and the Ra value will read lower.

I am planning to get a Convoy S2+ with the SW45K emitter to compare with my current SW45K light (Emisar D4V2). Curious to know if the Convoy light will give me the same CCT as the Emisar.

Ok, so that is further off than mine… but please remember these are not a scientific instrument. We have test equipment at work that verifies the frequency and deviation on DWDM tuned and tunable optics… the device costs thousands of dollars and have a very narrow spectral range and better be accurate and they are but this is only a general tool for a hobby use.

The problem is that most lights we have access to have never been tested in a scientific manner for CCT and spectrum, so we do not have a known reference source to compare to. Tint, CCT, CRI and DUV vary based on batches and bins of emitters and can even vary within a given bin of any emitter. Those of us who have built dozens to hundreds of lights over the years have a good idea about CCT, CRI and DUV when we pick up a light, this will confirm our ideas. If this site and others were not around that hosted pics… And lets say that someone new to lights decided to get a light and did not understand CCT and CRI and just ordered random lights. They will eventually pick a favorite without knowing what any of the numbers are, how would you know what to reorder? This is where you have to go back to the specs of the light and find out what emitter, what CCT and what CRI the emitter is. If you know the emitter and have a good idea of the CCT you can and should go the the manufacturers datasheet and verify and study what you believe. For the newer light person, this tool can give you guidance for the veteran light person, it does things like confirm why 1 light out of 10 that looks amazing edges out the other 9. One could also confirm that proper LED’s were shipped in a bulk order, to some degree.

I find that it can be very close, but it takes work. Much like reading very low amperages, you must use a tool you trust and use it consistently. For me, this is what works…

1) For quick reads, dark room as much of the hot spot as possible on the sensor from about 8 inches as long as the LUX read is around 20 to 25 thousand.
2) For a more accurate read I have built a shoebox lined with white foam. The sensor sits in one end and the light is introduced thru a hole on the other end. Still read from 20 to 25 thousand lux.

One can still read at much lower lux, but that is also a much lower drive current and remember this is known to affect things like tint of the emitter. But, this is useful as you once again can find out why that one light with an underdriven SST-20 looks so much better than the others that have the same emitter, hint… look at the color coordinates.

I really like the tool, within it’s limits. I feel lucky to have such a cheap device available to me to help draw inferences about something as subjective as light. Would I like to have something more accurate? Sure, but it has never been something that I really felt a strong desire to finance, own and learn to operate.

I am typing off the cuff hear, likely I have said something wrong… if so correct away.

AliExpress winter sale is coming in 3 days and it seems that the prices of both the G2 and G3 model will be heavily discounted. Do take note if you want to get yours hands on it before the supply runs out.

It's not heavily discounted from their regular price.

$19 - $22 are similar to their regular prices.

They hiked up their prices significantly so that the "sale" looks good.

Okay that is some shady business practices right there…. thanks for letting us know.

They are still "on sale" if you compare it to the regular price a few months ago: $32-$35 , and I even paid about $50 locally.

(edit: it was actually € 47.15 (which is about $50)

that is not necessarily correct
in the very first post of this thread:

after that I contacted them and they offered a lower price, I paid about $33

after that the price went lower around Xmas… then the sale ended, and soon the sale starts again

so, no, not shady imo… just Sales and Marketing with significant discounts

anyone who wants one, can buy it for less than I paid… And Im Really Happy I own an Opple…

definitely recommended

go here, get the sale:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003302809897.html
(not affiliated, just a fan)

I beg to differ about sales and marketing ().
The meter goes down by some 64% from the “regular price”. This is not consistent with the typical 5-10% (about so) of the Chinese New Year/11.11 sales. So I see this as price jacking.

Regardless, the ‘winter sale’ is an opportunity to get the device, which is in itself trustworthy.

I’m in Canada and there are rules regarding price jacking to create an illusion of deep discounts. As an example: Sears Canada was notified, then reprimanded, and finally fined for their ‘yoyo’ price strategy. I’m not familiar with the details and legal battle but it did make headlines and didn’t help their plight to stay alive.

And no, this is not government interference to free-market economics. It’s evening out the playing field and protecting the consumer from deceptive practices.

Too bad that they don’t ship to Germany. :frowning: