Opple Light Master III (G3) discussion thread (Cheap device for measuring Lux, CCT + CRI)

Not a bad price 34.88eu

Unfortunately they do not ship to NL as well

I can order it for you. Then I can send or you’re most welcome to visit Poland. I live 3 hours of driving from Berlin.

Plus you can tank cheaper fuel here.

Still 10 € more than AliExpress (and 6 € shipping as well).

Thanks for the offer, but Berlin is 3 hours of driving away from me. :wink:

I still have some (older) colorimeters somewhere, maybe they will work good enough with a diffuser.

According to tracking, my Opple landed in a town near mine on the 16th. It is now in a different State (Jan. 18th update). Any idea what's going on?

I purchased one and found that I needed to shine the light directly at the sensor IF the flashlight’s beam has tint shift. Using my integrating tube it would measure the light all together and be way off. The Brinyte HL16 is very cool at 7000K in the very center, but through the tube it’s around 4800K. The beam profile has heaps of yellow in the spill which is causing a wrong reading

Since a certain person began heading up the USPS, the quality of service has suffered tremendously. BY DESIGN. Trying to get that fiend out of his position has been like pulling teeth without local anesthesia. And of course, he’s “protected” until the board gets reshuffled.

Anyway, I’ve had several packages that were either shipped in state or from an adjacent state end up going elsewhere first. And I mean, unusually far. I’m in NJ. Sender was in NJ, less than 1 hour driving distance. It ended up in… LOUISIANA! There was no good reason for that. You can supply delivery instructions on a tracking number. When my package showed up in Shreveport LA, I immediately wrote a delivery instructions note. I indicated the package was misdirected, repeated my address, and then… the package ended up in a kind of “stasis” for 4 days. On the 5th, it landed back in NJ. I finally got it. No damage. Address label not only plain as day, but had been electronically printed with a bar code. There was absolutely no excuse.

[ /RANT ]

The Series 2 is still available. But I’d much rather pay a couple dollars more for the G3 Pro. I guess that won’t be back in stock until sometime in March or April.

Can someone explain all the info in the Flicker Tab. What’s the Risk Assessment and the 3 fields: Flicker Index, Modulation depth, Frequency. Then there’s the Raw Data Tab with Maximum, Minimum, Average.

Is this measuring the PWM on the graph?

Following your link, they linked a new version for that sensor, datasheet: https://ams.com/documents/20143/36005/AS7341_DS000504_3-00.pdf/5eca1f59-46e2-6fc5-daf5-d71ad90c9b2b . It would be nice if Opple used it for a new version of the Lightmaster.

Yeah they have an official distributor in Germany, so they are blocking AE sales to us. :frowning:

Don’t think we ever see 20 bucks Opples ever again with the chip shortage.

The graph shows the time signal of the lux-measurement. By FFT-Analyses (I guess), the Opple estimates the PWM frequency. Modulation depth ist the ratio between (max-min) and max in percent. Again, just guessing, haven’t seen the firmware source code.

@ Funtastic:

Dave has done some research post #50
And a link to waveform metric BenchMark

So the ‘Flicker Index’ takes into account the total light intensity over a duty cycle as opposed to ‘Flicker Percent’ which accounts only for the high/low values.

I feel your pain… USPS has really gotten bad. East coast priority mail packages are taking 5 to 7 days to the midwest. 6 out of 8 of my last packages from the east coast have not tracked from the initial regional distribution center until they hit my door and my local postman scanned it. I talked to our local postmistress (awesome dedicated lady) about filing a real complaint… there is no way to do it! If you try, the complaints are handled by the USPS regional postmaster through the USPS board. So they have insulated and isolated to the point that complaints never see the light of day.

This information is about all I could find on the difference from Light Mast II to III (Also called Pro).
The description on Opple’s AE site didn’t really specify the differences.
I took a chance on the Light Master II, since the III was out of stock.

I got the LM II today. The big difference is that the II does not measure CRI or Flicker Index.
I’m disappointed that the differences weren’t clearly shown on the website. It is there in one picture if you know what to look for.

FB

Open a dispute since it’s not as described

sad… I support the suggestion to request refund.

this is the contact person that helped me when I bought an Opple
fang.yan (at) opple (dot) com

Well gosh dangit. I know this is something along the lines of toy rather than professional tool, but after reading that post I went ahead and ordered the II on that last sale and it should be arriving in the next couple days. I have no plans on sharing info from it here regarding flashlights but I planned to use it in the office (and of course play a little with my flashlights, too). This will render it basically useless for me, waste of money.

I don’t think we can dispute it with Ali because if you scrollllll down the product page it does have a graphic where it shows two features on the II and four features on the III/Pro. I missed that. I don’t think it would be fair to ask for refund or replacement with the pro (and they don’t appear to have the pro in stock, still). This is a big letdown. Oh well.

The CRI measurement isn’t accurate, the flicker is nice though. I used it against my Maukka BLF348 with 92.9 CRI and the OPPO read 100.

Received mine. Nice toy for 20$. Measurements are quit accurate, ± few %

no one else is reporting 100 from an LED. Is this in total darkness?