Opple Light Master III (G3) discussion thread (Cheap device for measuring Lux, CCT + CRI)

Looks pretty good. It’s manual, but you can always plug your x,y values into this form to get Duv.

The 3500K: –0.0017
The 4500K: –0.0122

sw30:

shaved LH351d 3500k:

sw45k:

data overload… LOL

Haha, nice. Mine just arrived in my state today, so hopefully I’ll receive it in the next few days.

Interesting that yours says PRO. The software looks the same. I even looked for older releases of the software, but couldn't find anything that looked like the pictures on Aliexpress.

I think Pro = G3

here is one of the selection screens in the app:

and here is a reading of the daylight on my desk, Im quite pleased that it seems to be CCT and CRI Ra accurate:

===
I do not understand the flicker info, yet… this is the same daylight:

The flicker seems to be measuring 2 things:

• Frequency on the X axis. Eg Anduril lights have PWM normally at 16kHz, which isn’t noticeable to most people. The Opple is measuring up to 10kHz. You should be able to see this change on the Anduril party strobe mode.
  • Modulation depth on the Y axis. This is normally 100% on flashlights with PWM. That is fully off/on. The bike flasher mode on many lights switches between 50% and 100%

Combining these in the chart gives a “flicker index”. Low numbers seem to be good (green) and high ones bad (red).

You can see that a slow flicker is fine (still in the green area) as long as output barely drops. You can also see that completely turning off and on is fine above about 5kHz.

In the screenshots above it looks like the Opple is detecting slower fluctuations, rather than PWM used to dim the light. Do you have a light with terrible PWM to test?

Edit: I had assumed that this was something Opple made up but a “flicker index” looks to be a standard measurement. LEDBenchmark - Measuring Flicker

I dont own any old and slow PWM lights anymore

but here is an Eagletac D25A:

the Opple is the first instrument Ive found to help illustrate the constant current flicker of the ET…

here is one example of FWAA flicker data…

Dang it, really want mine to be here… has been sitting in Chicago since the 11th and USPS has not taken possession of it yet! Ordered on 9/23, made it to the States by the 11th and now it camps out. I swear USPS should go away… the grand fix is to slow down the mail and charge more to deliver it? Really does not make sense to me.

youre gonna like it, I hope you get it soon

Im really pleased
got my living room lighting to about 3100k, 95 CRI Ra, DUV –0.0021, and the flicker is in the “No Risk” zone… I feel better already… LOL

I just compared the Lux of my FWAA to my single sw30 in an RRT-01… it takes 50 lumens on the FWAA, to put the same LUX on target as 9 lumens on the single LED reflector hotspot…

talk about inefficiency of triples… floody beams burn lumens.

this little Opple is the funnest gizmo Ive bought all year

Hahaha, nice. Great to see such a quick convert :D

I think it's a pretty nice tool.

Mine has only just left China after ordering almost 3 weeks ago.

I think they were trying to work out how to ship it to the UK following Brexit.

Where did you order one from? I looked a few weeks ago and the shipping was killing it

a friend in UK was able to order from the link in post 16 that I used

Shipping to the EU and UK is extremely expensive. Almost the same price as the thing itself.

a friend in London used the link I provided and his total price was
GBP 24.54, with UK VAT paid.

I ordered from the same AliExpress link but the postage was about £20. It’s now listed as free postage but taking 6 weeks.

Depends which country...to Croatia is 52$ but ordering to France is 3$....

There is indeed free shipping to the UK now! Just ordered one, will see how long it takes.

This is going to become the norm I’m afraid, possibly worse. My local post office hub contacts couldn’t say anything for sure and weren’t super familiar with the procedures at the main customs hubs. Two of my last packages sat FOREVER in the hubs and then one was further delayed for over a week sitting in Memphis when it finally moved from New York. One was from Convoy and it arrived in country after 18 days or so, but it was about 59 days until it arrived at my door. Seems to be slightly better if it arrives in Los Angeles (unless it then goes to Phoenix or SLC in which case it will always move slower…then if you add Pitney Bowes or Newgistics to that….just sucks now).

I just had one from Convoy (simple order of four ring magnets) get rejected and sent allll the way back to China, which amazingly it appears that Simon received and signed for the return (often they just disappear into the cosmos…).

The new delayed service that should take effect soon appears to only affect domestic mail and will depend on how far it’s traveling across regions…that should only be a day or two for most things, but still no good. The idgit that is running the USPS now is largely to blame, all kinds of bizarre decisions over the last year and a half or so and the postal workers are feeling the brunt of it across the board.

A lot of the issues with the USPS are not the fault of the USPS at all. The 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act limited what the postal service can charge for its services, meanwhile expanding health and pension benefits for thousands of workers. The USPS doesn’t receive funding from the federal government and is only funded through revenue from shipping charges. Under these conditions, it’s amazing it can still operate at all, particularly with the hardships brought about by the pandemic (reduced workforce, increased demand for their services).

Shipping a domestic flat-rate package will cost you around $10-25 and ships via airmail with a delivery of 1-3 days. A similarly sized and weighted parcel shipped via ground with UPS could cost upwards of $50 and take weeks for delivery.

Knowing this, it’s not unreasonable that they are slowing shipping under certain conditions and increasing charges. It’s been a long time coming.

Another issue is that people are way to used to Amazon style shipping and it has made them impatient. It wasn’t so long ago that everything said “please allow 6-8 weeks for shipping”. If you are receiving an international package, expect that it might sit in customs for days or even weeks. There is huge demand for logistics right now and shipping carriers and ports are still operating with reduced staffing. You just need to be patient.