Ordered My First Knife - Hope I'm not starting another addiction! (EDIT - On to My 3rd Now!)

I'm a big fan of Kershaw, and I carry a Brawler.

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1990X-Brawler-Speedsafe-Knife/dp/B005UE6GRC

good to hear that the em01 is such a great knife relatively speaking… it was my first Chinese knife as well! I just ordered another 4 to pair up with Tank007 E09s to give as gifts… :wink:

after you get the em01, you should definitely take a close look at the big brother (EL01)… :wink:

as far as the SRM 763… i thought I read somewhere that they are being discontinued (?) I got both the smooth and the G10 scaled versions… you can find the smooth version on ebay for cheap… the G10 version, I got from exduct…

I really like my older gerber knives back when they where quality. I bought two of these 13 years ago and still have both. One tough knife for edc. I liked the first one I purchased so much, I thought to myself what if I loose this one. So I had to have a back up. :bigsmile: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/612840/gerber-harsey-air-ranger-folding-knife-3-1-4-stainless-steel-clip-point-blade-aluminum-handle-gray
This is one gerber knife I have wanted to purchase and would love to own, that never went in to production.
Would love to own one but there pretty rare and usually very well priced. Gerber come to the conclusion that casting the titanium handle was not very cost effective way of making the handle. So the knife was never released publicly and the production run was all that was ever made. My dream knife. Bad part is I let one off these get away on ebay several years ago for under $70 because the guy didn’t know what he had and I told myself I didn’t need it to set on a shelf. I still feel like I should kick my own a.
I can’t speak of how gerber is made now but back 12+ years ago they where quality knives. I suspect since I have seen some of the cheaper version at wallmart that they have shifted from quality to the number of sells for more profit.
For a auto open I really like my S&W pics in this thread. I also carried a boker auto open for awhile but like the quality feel of the S&W more.
Garrybunk I believe you are hooked now. You may need to seek medical help fast before it gets any worse. :bigsmile:

That Kuro is a good knife for the price. I gave mine to my gf and she carries it in her purse.

Well, as long as the “Made in China” knives are supervised by the quality control experts by the (foreign) companies, I think quality will become consistent over time. Many China-made knives I’ve seen (and used) are durable enough.

007, find us both one and we’ll both be smiling and giggling like little schoolgirls! Those Gerber Harsey Air Rangers with Ti scales are awesome! I remember when they were coming out, wish I’d gotten one. But then, I’m a sucker for Titanium anyway. lol Especially when it’s coupled with 154CM!!

i bought a US made kabar folder as my first knife and changed to El01 withing like a month or so…and its chinese knives all the way for me now…that price is just so good that u wont feel a big heartache when u lose or damage the knife…

hrrr. Thank you… sadly it seems it is not buyable atm

Self fulfilling prophecy!

Ok, this is getting addicting shopping for knives (no I'm not going to order another until my EM01 comes in - honest!). Found these Boker's:

Magnum Shadow

And this Magnum Griptech:

From what I understand both of these have a better (harder) blade material. I'm liking the hollow "industrial" look.

-Garry

Anyone have a link to a "genuine" Boker like the Manafont clone (073) I linked previously?

-Garry

Boker tanto blade
http://www.boker.de/us/pocket-knife/magnum/tactical-knife/01MB801.html

Similar blade shape, but with camo aluminum scales.
http://www.boker.de/us/pocket-knife/magnum/tactical-knife/01RY136.html

Current Boker Magnum knives
http://www.boker.de/us/pocket-knife/magnum/tactical-knife.html

Ohh yeah! I like the first one! Found it cheaper here too! Thanks!

-Garry

(I'm not going to order . . . I'm not going to order . . . I'm not going to order . . .)

That is a good looking knife. This is a great thread, but I’m chanting the same thing to myself Garry. I may pull the trigger on that one though. Still researching.

EDIT: I’m going crazy. There are just too many super nice looking knives. Anyone that has a lot of experience with them care to recommend what they would EDC if they could only have one and it had to be in the $40 price range?

I apologize to your significant other for getting you hooked on your new found addiction! :)

-Garry

Hi Garrybunk,

Knives and flashlights go hand-in-hand for most guys I think. I don’t have any experience with the “budget” knives but that EM01 looks nice. And for the money it is looks like tremendous value. I might have to try one out.
I have a Spyderco Delica 4 FFG and a Spyderco Dragonfly.
As to becoming an addict… I consider myself a flashlight addict, but with knives, I’ve been able to control myself. Maybe because the Dragonfly does it all for me and I haven’t had the need for anything else. So… maybe you won’t become an knife addict.

Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara 2, or their Tenacious. Both are very good knives, and great slicers with the full flat blade. Or save another week or two and buy an Endura or Delicia. Actually, for a little more a Spyderco Native looks nice in S30V steel.

Spyderco have quite a nice range for not much money. Their low end stuff is made in China by Sanrenmu which says good things about both low end Spydercos, and Sanrenmu.

LOL. Ok I looked back at my postings and I can see how one might get that impression. But you couldn’t be further from the truth. I have this under control. I’m only going to purchase one. Not counting the $1 Ozark I picked up at Walmart on the way home so that I can start to get a feel for what I would like in a knife.

And I will be returning the $30 Camillus Cuda that I also picked up on the way home. It’s still unopened in the original packing. They only had one. Maybe it would have been the one I wanted and it could have been purchased while I was trying to decide. And the ones sitting in wishlists and shopping carts don’t count either.

There. See. No apology was necessary.

PS: This is a really cool thread, strictly from an intellectual standpoint.

EDIT: In case it’s not clear, the above was an attempt at humor. I do really want to get a nice EDC though. Expecting that it will satisfy me for a long time. At least let’s hope.

Thank you for very much for the advice. It will probably save me much money by avoiding some wasted purchases like I did with lights. Those do look like some fine knives. It seems the S30V blades I have seen so far and been much more expensive. Kind of gave up on it, but that Native really has grabbed my attention.

DasEtwas, you might try Illumination Supply on the marketplace http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?243501-IlluminationSupply-com-Authorized-Dealer-of-Malkoff-Devices-and-Valiant-Concepts!

I don’t know if he’s got them in stock or even if they’re still being made, seems they’re a pet project for an individual and made in his garage. Worth a shot though.