Ordered My First Knife - Hope I'm not starting another addiction! (EDIT - On to My 3rd Now!)

Thanks for the clarification Gords. I forgot about the lock thing. Happy you use it. Too small for me. Cheers.

I like the design of the Zero Tolerance, since I saw these the first time 1-2 years ago. The price is the reason, why I d not have one

Because hundreds of people have been done to death with a folding knife… oh wait, no they haven’t.

Your local kitchenware store has the knives most people would use to attack someone with. Much much cheaper than even a Chinese folder.

Lawmakers are morons.

Keep it up with all this info about kitchen ware and the Brits’ll be cutting their veal with sticks! I hear a spoon works pretty good if you don’t mind a little sawing. :wink:

THIS JUST IN: MAN DONE IN WITH STEAK SPOON FOR INTERRUPTING TEA TIME! PARLIAMENT CONVENES TO OUTLAW SPOONS! Details at 11…

why use a kitchen knife when I have 3 foot stiltsens in the van, a two foot strong arm, a variety of hammers, at home I have a defiant 3c, the ultimate in none projectile home security, just about the last thing I’d grab is a knife tbh.

Also, we can own anything up to and including a broadsword or pike, if your into battle reenactment, you can carry them too, just in a public place (not including football matches or the pub etc) you are not permitted to carry a knife with a locking mechanism and/or a blade above 75mm in length (its actually 3 inch or 76.2mm but better to hover around 70mm to avoid issues with “interpretation”). I can carry a fixed blade on private property ie if out hunting on land I have permission to be on, a skinning knife is acceptable.

The laws are a bitch for “carrying something because I want to” but in all honesty, day to day, a 70 ish mm blade is fine for my use (stripping wire insulation, general cutting, opening packages and the myriad other tasks I use my pocket knives for) the locker part bugs me, but I’ve come to the conclusion that if sensible, I dont fit the demographic for a stop and search and at work I can cover myself under reasonable cause for use, ie a locker is safer than a slip joint. I just hope I never have to prove that in court. :slight_smile:

edit :- bak, I love that little en01, its getting a lot of use and is much appreciated so thanks for that. 8) as I say, it is big enough for my needs, I’m not mick dundee :bigsmile:

I just bought a Boker from Wallbuys for 85 cents.

SSZZCCSS 15% off coupon code.

They are out now but they were out when I first looked and then had more.

They are good knives. But it’s actually harder to say where they are made. The Plus and Magnum ones are made in China. The Solingen treebrand are made in Germany and the arbolito made in Argentina, they also made them in the US 20 years ago.

Now it’s also possible that some treebrand solingen arbolito’s like the one I ordered are actually shipped in a box that says plus and therefore made in China. But regardless they are all supposed to be decent knives.

the one boker (boker magnum senior damascus) i have is a piece of crap… its sitting in pieces in my drawer because i gave up on trying to make it ‘work’ (e.g. take out the play in the blade, get it centred, regrind the handle so its actually even, tighten the screws in the first place, etc….)… a big disappointment and definitely not to be bothered with considering it cost me ~$40… waste of money. (this is also their magnum line, so not their best stuff… but qc this bad? really?) :stuck_out_tongue:

that said all of my non-boker chinese knives are great!! :wink:

I might be in trouble. I found Kershaws and Gerbers at my local Walmart. Some are way bigger than I'd want. I've determined I don't want a blade longer than 3 1/2 inches and no shorter than 3 inches. I found a couple I liked:

I like that Kershaw on the right.

Both of these Gerbers (prefer the one on the right). I abstained from purchasing any though (was shopping for my wife's birthday).

-Garry

Get your hands on your EM01 before you buy local. Then you’ll know what to expect pricewise.

Pandora’s Box

That's my plan!

-Garry

Gerber aren’t regarded highly. Kershaw are very nice though.

I was wondering about the Gerbers reputation. Forgot to ask.

-Garry

What is a stiltsens?
I looked in a dictionary and googled it but I still have no clue what it is and which stilts needs to be sensed???

A stilson wrench is a big self clamping type used for water pipes if I recall correctly.

Pic from Wikipedia

Three old Stillson wrenches

Garry,
As a LONG time knife lover I’ve been around the block and back again with every type and price level of knives. I’ve had custom made knives from big names makers that cost $1000+ but recently I have been into the budget Chinese knives.

I have most of the SRM, Enlan, Navy and Ganzo knives. If I were to pick the single best budget medium sized pocket knife, the one you just chose would be it! For a first knife, you made one heck of a good choice!

When you get it, you will be amazed at how well it is built and the quality level. For less than $8 shipped, it is a crazy good deal. Don’t expect every knife you order in the future to be this well put together for such a low price.

I could name a few large folders that I think are good deals like the Enlan 01, Navy 631 and the Ganzo 710 but there is not really a clear best one for the money. The Enlan EM01 you just got is in my opinion the clear best knife in the medium size class. There are others that are nice but none are such a complete package like the EM01.

+1

Wow! That's good to hear! I was thinking to gift a couple if I really like it.

Oh, and I told my buddy about getting into knives and he was like "oh, that's cool". This is the same guy that thinks liking flashlights is insane!

-Garry

The lower end Gerbers, Kershaws, Bucks and CRKT that you will find at stores like Wal-Mart are all about the same level of quality. A $20 Kershaw is not going to be any better than a $20 Gerbers for the most part.

To be 100% honest, your $7.50 Enlan EM-01 is probably a better knife than a $20 Wal-Mart Gerber or Buck. If the Enlan EM-01 was priced at $25 in Wal-Mart, nobody would bat an eye and people would buy them and be happy. If it had a name like “Buck” on it, all the more so.

I wouldn’t pay $20-30 for a Walmart knife when there are so many really good knives direct from China. Why pay a 400% markup for a Chinese made Buck or Gerber at Walmart when you can just order it yourself and get a deal.

Many of us have first hand experience with these Chinese knives if you ask. If your interested in getting some more medium sized knives, start a thread. I can think of 3-4 more that you could add to your collection and be happy with.