Oshpark Projects

Yup, obvious ’shop. Shadows are all wrong. :wink:

Its a shame I cant use Photoshop as well as Matt as I would change the red oring to green and yes wight fix up the shadow. All in all though he has done a mighty job with his effort using Photoshop. I wonder what his next picture will be?

Ye of little faith.

Capricorn 1 has landed.

This may be the wrong thread to ask this question so please bear with me. There are lots of designs and talk on single cell drivers but not a lot on multi cell drivers. Since the IOS 5 amp 3 mode driver is no longer made would it be possible to design a driver for 2 or 3 cells running at a starting point of about 5 amps?

It would definitely fill a void to have something like that even if it begins life as a 20-25mm board.

25mm board to start with may make it easier to design.

I found out why OSHPARK got my last order out so fast… it was part of a test of their new 5 day expedited service… but alas, it will cost you $89 more per order once it’s offered…

Hmm, pretty sweet though… I suppose the larger they scale the overall operation the more practical it is for them to offer a service like that. During any lull it would get expensive quickly.

Way to many pages back to find it but remember we were talking about making a version of the BLF drivers that could be programmed using a custom header pin “connector” while installed in the light? I did that last week with a new style 17dd V1 and just got the email they’re out to fab. I cant stand the SOIC clips, I flash chips on my programming board (soon to have a ZIF socket) and swap them out, I’m done with clips for good.

I will update you on the outcome but I’m confident it’ll work, the issue is lights with driver retaining rings, drivers that are press-fit / soldered in will work great.

this is the board

IPP = In Place Programming

I dont plan on making this a public shared thing because of the issues that could arise from there being multiple versions of a board (the issue matt originally didnt make the brd and sch
public to try to prevent) but after I receive mine and verify they work I would consider it if people like the idea.

Nice idea. I like the idea of flashing without having to use a SOIC clip, but my solution (not actually implemented) was to make a dummy baord that I reflow the IC to. This board has permanent wired connections for connecting to an ISP programmer. Very convoluted. Is there a ZIF style socket for SOIC chips?

EDIT: Well that wasn't hard: http://au.element14.com/3m/208-7391-55-1902/socket-ic-soic-zif-8way/dp/9897500

Bit pricey though. I might grab one and create a PCB for it to be mounted to.

Ebay has SOIC ZIF sockets for less.

That’s where I was going to steer you. Cheap, almost certainly clone, sockets run <$2/ea from China IIRC. Looks like I payed $1.75 USD - http://www.ebay.com/itm/360901546906

I always forget about eBay. No idea why. I was on there only 3 days ago looking for standard SOIC clips for crying our loud!

Thanks for the link :)

EDIT: Does that one open open and you pop the chip in and then close it? Or does it press down over the chip as is?

It doesn’t open (not a clamshell). When you press the frame down little fingers retreat so that the chip can settle into place. When you let go they come back and press against the pins.

EDIT: The 3M test socket is probably easier to use. This one is OK though and seemed to give a secure connection once I had the chip positioned properly. The problem is that you’ve got to get it positioned down inside a hole. I haven’t seen a cheap clone of the 3M clamshell-style one or I’d try one.

Ah. So you press it down and the legs 'open'. Place the chip inside and release and it makes the required contacts. I'll order a few I think; one for AVR, and one for PIC - I'm going to wire them up for the respective programmers.

pin 1 looks awfully close to the off time cap…but still FREEKING AWESOME!

Aw crap… To late to change it now too without sticking OSHPark with them, it’s not worth it to ask.

Is that an 0805 or 0602 pad?

edit: its an 0805, changing to an 0602 fixed the short, now to hope I caught oshpark in time.

MISO also appears to be shorting two MCU pins. You can probably reduce the size of your annular rings in order to improve clearances. It’s in the DRU settings somewhere, I don’t have Eagle here to check. I’m fairly certain that it’s not called “Annular ring size”, but the little visual hints will help you figure it out.

EDIT: If you aren’t running using the DRC you should consider starting. That would have helped you find those problems before ordering…