P60 drop-in for farm use (bright/flood)

I have the 3-mode Manafont drop-in and it is very good. Sign up with an account first before ordering so that you can keep track of the order status and earn Manafont points that will get you a small discount on your next purchase.
I prefer Manafont over DX as well. The problem with the DX drop-in is I don’t know how hard they are driving the XM-L LED and we have lots of people here who have measured the Ultrafire drop-in at Manafont to be driven pretty hard.

I got one of the 3 mode xm-l and the emitter is off center, so the beam is somewhat crooked and just kinda not pleasant when combined with the shift in tint across the beam. I'm trying to find a OP reflector for it which should at least make it somewhat more bearable.

The $19.99 Solarforce Mini that comes with an installed XM-L is pretty floody (from Kai Domain), more so than my other XM-L's.

Downside is that you will have to buy rechargeable CR123's or a batch of expensive CR123's to keep it going. Upside is it slips into your pocket pretty easily.

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11189

And remember it's a Solarforce fake of inferior quality...

The Manafont Ultrafire 3-mode XML is probably the best option, as people have said already. Forget P7/SST-50/SST-90, they are never fully driven in the drop-ins you can buy (and just draws more current for less light than an XM-L).

I have the KD fake and the S/F real L2m. Just my opinion, but I like the fake better. It tailstands, and has a normal clicky, as opposed to the one on solarforce-sales.com that has a tactical switch you have to twist to make the light stay on. Not sure how waterproof it is, but where I live that is not an issue.

Just a thought if you are going to order from Manafont for $8 bucks more you can get this host and have a place for your spare drop in and batteries. I own 4 of them and they work good and are very similar to your Surefire.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/ultrafire-wf504b-flashlight-tube-metal-bezel-black-no-led-emitter-p-6064

review here

Also the KD-C8 puts out a ton of light for $25 bucks, it would be perfect for farm use very floody bright beam. I own one and can say this is a must have budget light if you own 18650 batteries.

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11097

review here

Aloha and welcome to BLF s1mp13m4n!

Welcome to blf! i would also recomment the 3mode XLM from manafont. I also find it hard to believe that you have such a expensive light with such crappy batteries? Listen to the post below and but a pair of the 2600 sanyo based before the promotion runs out!

I am planning on making an order soon, just waiting for my new check card in the mail. I like the setup that you have put together for me with the drop-in, batteries, and host from Manafont. I hope that this light will be bright like I think it might be. :) This is a nice site and it is just down to earth and realistic. I mean, who can afford to spend $150 on a Fenix TK45? I enjoy value for the money and that is what I am all about. :) By the way, on the posts above some refered me to the bulk battery buy. I see them listed as 18700 batteries.....don't I need 18650 cells? Sorry for the newbie questions. I am trying to learn.

That's probably what I'd do in your situation too. Also, glad you like the atmosphere at BLF, I've had about the same reaction in the time I've spent here. Friendly is a place you want to keep coming back to.

The REAL Ultrafire 3000 mAh are not that terrible, just that some people never learn and buy fake shit from ebay (Important lesson: if it sounds too cheap to be true then it most likely is).

Here are discharge graphics from ACTUAL Ultrafire 3000 mAh: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?223638-New-18650-with-3000mAh-from-KD&p=2884072#post2884072

Sanyos are better ofcourse, but there is no reason to panic. The famous case where a guy had an Ultrafire 3000 mAh blow up was 100% user error and he discharged his _unprotected_ cells way too much (Sanyos or Panasonics would have exploded just the same).

An 18650 is supposed to be 18mm diameter x 65mm long. However, the protection circuit usually adds a couple of mm, so most 18650's are actually 18670's, or 18680's, but nobody calls them that. They're calling theirs 18700 as a way of saying the batteries are longer than 65mm, but from what I've read, they actually measure the typical 67 or 68 mm of most protected 18650 batteries.

Here is what the drop-in is in the light that I paid $85 for from another forum.

http://www.thrunite.com/productsweb/3%20Mode%20Drop-in.html

The light is a Surefire 6P with a drilled out body to accept an 18650 cell. I think I might have been ripped off LOL

Surefire hosts are quite expensive, so maybe not...

I looked closer at my Surefire light and it has parts on it from www.oveready.com and a McClicky tailswitch in it. OK so it might be a tank so to speak, but it is still no brighter than my Quark 123X2. LOL :) I did not know what I was buying at the time, so lesson learned. Like I said I was on another forum where high $$$ lights are the norm and budget lights get ignored or you get the "you get what you pay for" spam post.

Those are nice components, no question. The Thrunite drop-ins are quite expensive for what they are, but the nice thing is you can run that drop-in off two cells, which you can't do with the Manafont drop-in. In fact the Thrunite is probably a good bit brighter on two cells than one if you ever are able to try that out. As for the LED, I actually prefer a XP-G LED to XM-L in a P60 host because I only use my light in short bursts to see where I'm going between streetlights and the reflection off the ground and trees leaves me blinded when using the XM-L on full blast. But if you just want a lot of light, the XM-L blows an XP-G away.

You can definitely get steered off in a weird direction with those guys. Some will preach the gospel of high CRI lights and have you end up with an orange tint and a lot less light output, but colors will be rendered more realistically. Most people just want a bright light. It's a good answer for some people and I can see where they're coming from, but one size doesn't fit all.

I like the idea of getting the parts listed above. If I do that, then I can have a super bright light when I need it and a "normal" light for when I do not. I see no need to have 10 lights laying around, just a few quality lights for when you need it.

Heretic!

I have something over 140 lights last time I tracked them all down and counted them. And I know there is at least one person round here who owns more than I do.

And Welcome to BLF! It is good to have you here.

We're usually a friendly lot who are glad to have new folks around. Hope you have fun here as well as getting information on what you need.

I'll add my vote for the Manafont XM-L dropin - and I'd spring a couple of dollars for a coated glass lens from KD - they make a dramatic difference all by themselves.

That sounds like a nice light collection. I am on a fixed income due to my eyes so I can not afford a large collection or a $75 Fenix light. :)

the 18700 is basicly a 18650…lots of 18650’s are actually longer than 65mm.because of the protection circuitry .That pair of batteries at $13 is probably the best you’ll ever buy for the money .<<that’s a good recommendation from everyone .

The manafont 3 mode no extra flashy strobes or SOS which is always just a pain to have to see when all you want to do is decrease or increase the amount of light ...this xml is a favorite with blf members because so many people have had good luck with it ..another easy recommendation

A p7 is a nice emitter they vary as to bins so the colors can vary a little and they have the normal cross in the middle since it is basicly 4 emmitters in one ..The output varies pretty dramaticly at times and some peoplee are happy and others feel it should do more lumens . it and an MCE are high power(600 to 900 lumens) and are a decent option too .

As far as picking up a cheap 8$ 504 host at the same time ..I sort of like that option why not , or buying a real solarforce is always good advice too .

I would hold off on buying from DX right now since manafont is shipping about 100 times faster and is offering the same stuff.

the questions you're asking are pretty easy ones and so there will be a lot of the same answers ... thanks for the simpler question.. welcome to BLF hope you find helpful answers to any questions you have