P60 hosts that the pill screws into them

Unless you wrap the dropin tightly with aluminium foil.

in the tf-r2 the pill is screwed in to the head. so it should be better heat transfer than using the whole drop in

don, that sucks. should be a pretty easy swap though i would think

I looked at this thread and thought WOW that should have been done years ago, reinventing the C8. Drop the threadless reflector in the top, replace the bezel and lense back on. Then lock in with the threaded pill directly to the head from underneath, finger tight only. 3-4 amp modules should be easily handled at this point. I’ve got lots of D26/P60 pills laying around. With copper Sinkpads, direct bonding and those hotrodders running even hotter direct screw in should handle those 5 amp XM-L’s. Switches should be the only weak link left. SolarForce you listening?

the tf-r2 has probably been around for around 2 years now :stuck_out_tongue:

Problem with screw-in setups is that they are likely not gonna be interchangeable. Too many different threading possibilities.. If Solarforce would do that, I would be sure that it works. But try to find an empty C8 pill that fits your C8. ;)

Did you think of the XinTD SC-82 when you meant C8-style lights with screw-in reflectors?

How many different thread pitches on D26 pills to reflector are there?

@Vectrex: Doesnt matter. There are a lot of C8 form factor lights..

@texas: I have "met" 4 different ones. I bet there are a lot more.

are you talking threads on the p60 pill now or c8?

I bought 3 501B’s from somebody (can’t remember who). One of the the “drop-ins” had a threaded ring on the top of the reflector and screwed into the head. It does not appear to have any effect on heat transfer ability.

If you look at the post above mine that you quoted and add "shooter" to "texas", you should know. ;)

i was on my cell when i posted that. never seen them referred to as d26… quick google search, and yes… i look stupid :stuck_out_tongue:
edit: this thread is getting all over the place. started off as looking for a host that the p60 pill screwed in to and had a c8 size reflector. then it went to p60s have poor heat sinking, and not all c8 pills are the same……

No you dont.. well actually you do, but we still like you. <3 :D

Some topics are connected.. screw-in drop-ins (screw-ins?) and C8 for example, because the C8 form factor basically is a screw-in.. screw-in.

The A8 has a very similar size reflector to the P60 and goes one step further than having a screw in pill by having the LED and driver mounted directly to the flashlight housing.

Thats one too many steps. I’ve got more drop-ins than host so pill swapping on the P60 style is what I would look for. C8 is nice but not nearly as popular. P60 hits a wall with thermal issues with the pill actually hanging from the screwed on reflector. Take it too a C8 style but with the pill screwed in from below and now all my lttle P60/D26 pills have a better thermal path. I love the lego formats and but fear that the P60 drop-in is near the end of its box of tricks. Which is sad as its size is perfect doing about 90% of my flashlight needs.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has actually tried (and made it work) a P60 drop-in in a TF-R2? If so, can you explain what else you needed to make that work, and if possible, post some pics?

I currently have 1, and maybe 2 of them “maybe” (bought from some websites that I haven’t heard about before) coming in, and the main reason is to try some P60 drop-ins with them.

Thanks,
Jim

My understanding is that yes, the p60 pill does screw in to the the tf-r2 head, but with minor modification… (filing of some sort?)

I am interested in this as well… just trying to decide on whether the price of the tf-r2 is worth it, or, for the additional price of the parts, if it would just be better to mod another complete flashlight….

You need to file down the bottom lip of the pill to clean the treads on the side of the pill. I can get a pic later if you guys need it

that would be great!…

in your opinion (or other more experienced BLFers out there…) are the heat sinking qualities of this particular lamp that much better than purchasing another light in this (~$30) price point?

thanks again!

Pulsar,

Yes, one (or more) pictures would be great.

The thing is, when this comes up, a lot of people seem to be interested.

As I posted on the FastTech thread, based on some stuff that I’ve found, I’m pretty sure that they COULD source it (i.e., I know that they are still available and can be available to FastTech). But, I think it’d only be worth pursuing if this compatibility is actually true, and more to the point, I don’t want to be bugging them (and others here) to get it if it turns out to be worthless.

I don’t mind spending a few bucks to order them from somewhat sketchy places, like I’ve already done, but I definitely don’t want to one of the ones pushing FastTech to source it if it is going to turn out to be not “P60-compatible”.

I think that if some minor mods are needed, like filing a lip off, is not bad, but if it’s a humongous amount of mods needed, then it’ll probably be considered “not compatible” for a lot of folks (including myself). Plus, per the other thread, what I really think makes more sense (if it is “almost” compatible) would be if someone like FastTech could offer them as hosts, rather than as complete flashlights.

Sorry. I know that I’m probably being a bit pushy and “obsessed” with this :(…

Later,
Jim