Panasonic NCR18650PD

Besides the EnerPower+ version Test / Review: EnerPower+ 18650 2900mAh 3C (Blue)
Is there any other source of protected Panasonic NCR18650PD’s?

This looks like the best performing 18650 for high current usage. It has near IMR qualities, with better run time.

Cheers
Matt

Upon a quick google of enerdan I found these.

3400 mAh version and 2900 mAh version

They are really awesome cells, and they are genuine because they are from ENERDan’s Amazon store (which sells these batteries and supplied them to HKJ). The price tag is really high though, and I think it’s PER cell.

Thanks for the links :slight_smile:
Yeah they are genuine like the ones HKJ tested. That’s £4 cheaper than he sells them for on ebay too :slight_smile:

I have a 4.5A XM-L on copper(P60) on it’s way, so want some good power for it. I have a couple of Panasonic CGR18650CH that will work well, but the NCR18650PD should give another 8-10 minutes of runtime.

Cheers
Matt

If it’s only 4.5A I think the enerpowers are a bit overkill. They go up to nearly 3C (which is 9A), but HKJ tested them at 7A.
I think you can go for the panasonic NCR18650As, they have 3100mAh and can handle 2C (6A), although they won’t be able to be recharged as many times at 6A obviously but they should be able to handle 4.5 amps fine, while having similar runtimes to the enerpowers also while being nearly 3 times cheaper. If you buy 10packs off aliexpress you can get them for less than $8 a cell.

I have a couple of Senybor 3100mAh’s, that use Panasonic cells. I presume it’s the NCR18650A inside. I’ll try them.
I was just looking at the discharge curves in HKJ’s tests, and you get a lot of voltage sag at 5A with most 18650’s, except IMR’s, or the Panasonic NCR18650PD or CGR18650CH.
Will the 4.5A drop-in be ok with the voltage sag, or will it be brighter with the higher current cells?

Cheers
Matt

I’ve actually never seen a discharge curve/graph for the NCR18650A so I can’t really say anything about the voltage sag. If you do buy a ncr18650pd though, you can always see which one runs brighter.

Hi Slewflash

Have a look here Battery test-review 18650 comparator
You can compare cells.

I think what i will do is compare the brightness of the Senybor 3100mAh to the CGR18650CH, then decide what new cells to order.

Cheers
Matt

Wow that’s a really great resource, thanks for that matt!
It looks like at 5A a lot of cells suffer from voltage sag so perhaps an IMR or the 18650PD is what you’re looking for afterall

Yeah, where would we be without HKJ? :slight_smile:
I’ll let you know how the testing goes once the drop-in arrives.

Cheers
Matt

My 4.5A P60 Xm-l on copper arrived today. So far I have only ran it on a Panasonic cgr18650ch, and it is REALLY bright :slight_smile:

I’ve just ordered one of the Enerpower+ 2900mAh(3C) cells to try in it, and an xtar sp2 charger.

Sounds good, but wouldnt 4.5A be too hot to run constantly in a p60 body?

Hi Slewflash

Yeah, I think 4.5A will be too hot for continuous running. It’s a 3 mode 100, 30, 5% with no memory, so it always comes on high.
I’m thinking it might be ok in high for decent runs in winter walking the dogs because the temperature will probably be somewhere between 5 deg C, and –10 deg C.
It’s medium is plenty bright too for normal use.

The Enerpower high drain cell will come in handy for the Shadow SL3 I’m interested in when it is released.

Cheers
Matt

I’ve just tested current draw at the tail with the 4.5A xm-l drop-in.

Using a Panasonic CGR18650CH, i measured 4.25A

Using a Senybor(Panasonic) protected 3100mAh 18650, i measured 3.15A

It will be interesting to see how the Enerpower+ Cell does.

I’ve had the Enerpower+ 2900mAh 3C for a couple of weeks now.

I re-tested my 4.5A XM-L with the Senybor 3100mAh, Panasonic cgr18650ch, and the Enerpower+ 2900mAh 3C.
I managed to squeeze 3.45A from the Senybor, 4.25A from the Panasonic, and 3.9A from the Enerpower+.

So it seems for ultimate performance(with a high current light), there is no substitute for the low internal resistance of the Panasonic IMR hybrid, but the Enerpower+ provides a lot of the performance, and will also have better runtimes, so depending on the application either battery may suit.
It’s worth mentioning though that the Panasonic isn’t protected, but you can buy about 4 Panasonic IMR’s for the price of one Enerpower+.

Cheers
Matt

so, i believe that the skyray king would be considered a high current light, if that is so, would these Panasonic cgr18650ch batteries be ideal for max output in the srk? thanks

ken

Hi Ken

I’m not sure how much current the srk pulls from each of the 4 cells, and even though they are a ‘safer’ hybrid IMR chemistry, I don’t know enough about batteries to know if its safe to run un-protected cells in a multi cell light.
I only have single cell lights at the moment.

Cheers
Matt

Hi!

I'm under the impression that the KING has the 18650 batteries wired in parallel, not series. As a result, each battery need only contribute a reatively small amperage. That means any high performance cell would work well. Super-High amperage (and Super-Low Internal Resistance) are not at all necessary.

On the other hand, the Panasonic CGR18650CH IMR 2250mAh battery is an excellent cell and we would also like to stock the 2900mAh version. WHO IS SUPPLYING the IMR with 2900mAh now?

Best Regards,

Bob

The Panasonic NCR18650PD 2900mAh isn’t an IMR, it’s just a high discharge cell. From what I can tell, it performs somewhere between a normal Panasonic 3100mAh and the IMR.

The PDs are not as safe as the NCR version. I run lots of NCR w/o prottection.
Not sure if I should do it with the PDs.

Yeah, i heard that. The Enerpower+ 2900mAh 3C is a protected version, but expensive. I couldn’t find any other protected PD’s.